Two Way Radios

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings, do any of you blokes and babes use 2 way radios in your helmets to talk to each other when riding in groups?
Some of my mates have them and I originally thought it would be uncomfortable and a bit 'old school' however am starting to change my mind.
Why.
They reckon on certain channels you can talk to truckers and these dudes let you know when the speed police are about.
any thoughts.
Horrace Rumpole

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use one when the wife and i go for a ride , they fit comfortably into the helmet with no worries and allows you to have a decent conversation :thumbup: ohh yeah and the truckies use UHF 40 :D

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just came back from a ride with my hubby on his new Speed Triple to Bindoon. He turned into home, but I think I could have kept going. Beautiful day for it. Am thinking about two way radios so we can communicate, but not sure if we could handle a running commentary from each other!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: thats the hard part , when im in my helmet it becomes ME time :D...

How did the Triple go ??? Not as well as the mighty XJR i bet :rockon: , i love my XJR...
He says the Trumpy will be good when he has run it in and can give it a good run. Not quite like riding the armchair XJR (and not as loud as mine, yet.....)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found it to be a very useful device. Here is an example why: when I lived in Florida (Tampa Bay area), there was a crazy a$$ driver in a dark green camaro driving fairly reckless and barreling up behind me. I was able to avert him and keep from getting run over. I radioed up ahead to my buddy and warned him about this crazy driver. He was also able to avoid this guy.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Well there are two options really for what your thinking. Bluetooth or UHF.

A mate bought a bluetooth set for us and expecting delivery anytime this week. It is quoted at being able to chat to other bikers 1000m away. Which is great as I tend to leave him for dead on his 250.
Bluetooth for phone/tunes etc. Its some ebay "special" so it should be interesting but hell he paid for it so it will be his loss if its dodgy.

Check this out
SoundRider Motorbike Communication Systems & Accessories | Australia

Some interesting systems there. I was originally looking at the Cardo Q2 Multiset but there is some UHF systems also.

Drew a mate uses a Blueant Interphone system which set him back $200 that he swears by. But it isn't Stereo and the range is limited.

Check them out here:
Interphone Handsfree and Intercom Bluetooth Helmet Kit - BlueAnt Wireless

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Just received the Super BT Interphone from Extremely Sports off of ebay.

So far so good. Made first call from the helmet this morning and the person on the other end had no idea I was in motion at the time. Stereo sound from the iphone is pretty good and so much more comfortable without the earbuds.

Cant wait to test the rider to rider range.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just came back from a ride with my hubby on his new Speed Triple to Bindoon. He turned into home, but I think I could have kept going. Beautiful day for it. Am thinking about two way radios so we can communicate, but not sure if we could handle a running commentary from each other!

:rof: thats the hard part , when im in my helmet it becomes ME time :D...

Easy solution, if you dont wanna talk....turn your headset off!

:thumbup:

Dunny

Hit the road jack
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got back from Threadbo a goup of 11, 3 bikes had 'Autocom' this worked very well they were able to talk to each other through VHF and listen to tunes. This system automatically mutes the music when someone talks, you have the choice of voice activated or push to talk on the bar. I think it costs about $400. Im very interested

Daryl

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Expensive but everything worthwhile is!
Sounds interesting with the auto muting as well.

If it came with "Auto Muting" for the pillion.....i am there!!!! :spank:

Me and my regular pillion tried 2 way radio...thanks to Mick....was sorta ok, but then we realised we actually like having our own "space" on the bike, and turned it off...anyway after years of riding together, we can just about communicate perfectly via body language, gestures, and flat out screaming! :D

:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Chatterbox GMRS X-1 with BlueTooth. It works very well for me. Was riding with a group of fast riders about a month ago and a Busa went out of the turn I was just entering. Some yelled on the radio. "Rider down! rider down!" I shut it down just as I was entering the turn. I didn't know that was the turn but I shut it down and was able to stop and turn off right before the position they had landed to the right of me. If the rider and bike were on the pavement that call would have certainly avoided a secondary mishap. Love my radio and consider it part of my ATGATT. Oh yeah but! My boss can call me any time on the telly and tell me to get my arse home! :eek:

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Just got back from Threadbo a goup of 11, 3 bikes had 'Autocom' this worked very well they were able to talk to each other through VHF and listen to tunes. This system automatically mutes the music when someone talks, you have the choice of voice activated or push to talk on the bar. I think it costs about $400. Im very interested

Daryl

+1 on Autocom. They work great. I also tried various cheaper approaches for years, but you really do get what you paid for in this case. I use them bike to bike with some relatively cheap Motorola FRS/GMRS handheld radios. Actually, I've mainly used the radios to keep in contact with someone in a cage.

Last edited: