Universal head lamp conversion relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poon Stick

Reaction score
Visit site
So is this a kit that I can purchase and get all the parts that I need or do I also need to make a run out to an electronics shop to get pieces?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a kit, I bought one and it had all the stuff needed. Good instructions and the wires were well labeled. Only thing I did different was use waterproof crimp connectors. They are like the standard insulated crimp connectors but have heat shrink tubing which can be shrunk after they are installed.

Highly recommended - rode back from visiting my daughter at school a couple of weeks ago. Great ride but didn't leave for home till 9:45 PM. It was dark but so nice to have the extra light AND functioning bright lights when the traffic allowed.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So is this a kit that I can purchase and get all the parts that I need or do I also need to make a run out to an electronics shop to get pieces?

:welcome:to the forum!

You just provide the tools. Kit has everything and I PMed you the info you'll need to get one.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I got the kit from Motogiro, I live in Canada. He shipped it the same afternoon after I ordered, and I got it in about a week or so :)

Guess what: my bike has both eyes open now, lol! This was such an easy mod, he made it really easy with labeling all the wire, having the connectors ready---it's pretty much "plug and play", I had to splice just 3 wires. All parts necessary came with the package, even cable ties (not sure if that's the correct term). The relay is very neatly and sturdily packaged with all connections hidden and waterproof.

I am really happy with the kit, would recommend it to everyone who hasn't done the mod yet!

Poon Stick

Reaction score
Visit site
Just like Corsara, I also live in Canada. It arrived a week after Motogiro shipped it - very fast considering it was only a couple extra dollars to ship to Canada!

The install is super easy, and only took about 45 minutes including running around trying to find a tiny slot screwdriver.

Why haven't YOU done it yet?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all for the great reports!
It is you installers that are the final say on this mod so thank you for your great work doing these installs.

D

Dave.TX

OK, that's what I get for not reading. I bought the relay from Radio Shack today only to see Motogiro sells it as a kit. Guess I can buy the kit and return the relay, or just hang on to it should it ever fail (which is highly unlikely).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, that's what I get for not reading. I bought the relay from Radio Shack today only to see Motogiro sells it as a kit. Guess I can buy the kit and return the relay, or just hang on to it should it ever fail (which is highly unlikely).

Just say the word! :thumbup:

D

Dave.TX

Installed the Motogiro dual headlight solution tonight. I can testify to the ease and effectiveness of this kit. It's a winner. :thumbup:

I took a brief test ride after dark and having that second low-beam light up the right side of the road, when you can't use the high-beam, is a huge improvement over the stock setup. There's all kinds of stuff out there in the dark waiting to jump out at you -- tonight it was dogs, skateboarders and scrap lumber -- so do what you can to spot it early and minimize that risk. And it will certainly help others see you.

Whichever route you take to accomplish this mod, it really is one the most important you can do for safety's sake.

Exactly. Where I live the road hazards include, but not limited to:

Armadillos
Skunks
Raccoons
Opossums
Snakes
Turtles
Wabbits
Cows
Horses

The last two would definitely cause a scrape or two.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly. Where I live the road hazards include, but not limited to:

Armadillos
Skunks
Raccoons
Opossums
Snakes
Turtles
Wabbits
Cows
Horses

The last two would definitely cause a scrape or two.

With turtles and armadillos in close second! :eek:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Cliff,
Any ideas why the Yameer engineers ran y/b wire to the ECM from the +12v feed wire for the Hi beam bulb? There's already a b/y going straight from the HB lamp circuit to the pod cluster illuminating the HB indicator!

Why on earth did they want to inform the ECM about such things??? Battery health perhaps? I can't see the gauge of the wire but I'm assuming its for information only but WHY?

Node 39 is the instrument cluster.

NBD - just thought it was interesting. . .

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Cliff,
Any ideas why the Yameer engineers ran y/b wire to the ECM from the +12v feed wire for the Hi beam bulb? There's already a b/y going straight from the HB lamp circuit to the pod cluster illuminating the HB indicator!

Why on earth did they want to inform the ECM about such things??? Battery health perhaps? I can't see the gauge of the wire but I'm assuming its for information only but WHY?

Node 39 is the instrument cluster.

NBD - just thought it was interesting. . .

I think the wire you're talking about Y/B goes from ECU to the headlamp lamp relay #60 in the diagram. This relay keeps the headlamp circuit offline until the bike has started. The ECU then provides ground through Y/B to energize the relay. If you look at the relay it is hot through the coil. The ECU keeps the coil floating till the engine is running. You're correct that it is for power management. I want to mod my SV to keep headlamps off till after starting. This helps the battery at its most critical time, cranking! Great engineering! :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For future reference in the 06 service manual on page 8-28 the filament configurations are tagged backwards #61 is calling the filament the High Beam but it is the Low Beam. #62 is tagged as the Low Beam but it is the High Beam.

I haven't checked the other year manuals but I would suspect they are also incorrectly tagged. :D
So if you print out the pages or use them for diagnostic or design please correct the page 8-28 accordingly.

Edit: I found the 04 service manual is missmarked but the 07 service manual calls it out correctly.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the wire you're talking about Y/B goes from ECU to the headlamp lamp relay #60 in the diagram. This relay keeps the headlamp circuit offline until the bike has started. The ECU then provides ground through Y/B to energize the relay. If you look at the relay it is hot through the coil. The ECU keeps the coil floating till the engine is running. You're correct that it is for power management. I want to mod my SV to keep headlamps off till after starting. This helps the battery at its most critical time, cranking! Great engineering! :rockon:

But wouldn't the start button be a great place to disable **options** while cranking?? Ah - hey, the dudes pushing the start button, lets disable the horn, lights and seat heater!

Thanks for the explanation!
- oh ya, the seat heater option is off until she fires and begins burning fossil fuels! :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But wouldn't the start button be a great place to disable **options** while cranking?? Ah - hey, the dudes pushing the start button, lets disable the horn, lights and seat heater!

Thanks for the explanation!
- oh ya, the seat heater option is off until she fires and begins burning fossil fuels! :)

Yeah, I guess you could use the start button but when the button is not being pushed the lights would be on and using power as soon as the key was turned on. That little extra oomph you might need to get going would be lost. There is a logic to the way they do it and it works really well! No Headlamps until the motor is actually running.
Manufacturers cut weight and dollars where ever they can and that can be a shortcoming when you need electrical power and have a weak battery. I guess when you're trying to make the bike as economically feasible as possible it makes sense. I think they had a great idea.
They also did a great job on the kill switch circuit! They look at the back end of the coil and if there's potential present they pass the coil to it's handler as well as the FP/FI enable.

I've already thought of how to do the headlamp unloader on my SV 1000s. :rockon:

So much of technology works more efficiently today because of logic and great code!

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

PM sent to inquire about the kit -- thanks!

Get the kit. It's well made and the instructions are adequate (he's an engineer, not a writer). :D

:bow: Cliff's kit is top notch and it took me 45 minutes to install last night at 2am. Some of that was trying to locate a small enough screwdriver. Started the motor and both headlights (low beams) came on! No more cyclops. The right low beam switches to the high beam when you flip the switch on the handlebar to turn on the high beam. Just like it should be.

It's not difficult and you'll enjoy it as one of the best mods you can do to your bike. For under $50 shipped it's worth it's weight in gold. Just read the other comments and believe me, they're spot on.

Get the kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.