Universal head lamp conversion relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sotex

Reaction score
Visit site
So, another "thumbs up" after an install of Cliff's dual headlight conversion kit.

Cliff got the kit on its way in great time, with everything nicely packaged and ready to go, right out of the box.

In a nutshell, the install was straightforward. I had ample time on my hands, so I elected to solder the few necessary connections once I'd tested to ensure everything was working properly (it was).

And as for Cliff, he was back in touch almost immediately when I hit him with a brief question or two before and after the installation -- much appreciated.

All in all, quite happy with the results. Thanks, Cliff!

- Edward

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, another "thumbs up" after an install of Cliff's dual headlight conversion kit.

Cliff got the kit on its way in great time, with everything nicely packaged and ready to go, right out of the box.

In a nutshell, the install was straightforward. I had ample time on my hands, so I elected to solder the few necessary connections once I'd tested to ensure everything was working properly (it was).

And as for Cliff, he was back in touch almost immediately when I hit him with a brief question or two before and after the installation -- much appreciated.

All in all, quite happy with the results. Thanks, Cliff!

- Edward

Thank you Edward!

I also appreciate the feed back folks give me on this install. That way I can improve the directions. I'm also reachable by phone if someone needs a quick answer on the fly.

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, new to the site! This is the reason I joined anyway. Im about to do this mod this weekend and from all the rave reviews on here about it I'm looking forward to it! As an Aircraft Tech I HATE doing electrical work but this looks awesome! Thanks!

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
And how about HID kits? Can this work the same way? Lo/high on both, the only thing that really changes is the ballast and lights, right? And what do you think of projection lenses?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And how about HID kits? Can this work the same way? Lo/high on both, the only thing that really changes is the ballast and lights, right? And what do you think of projection lenses?

You won't need this for the HID kit. The HID kit runs a single source for the light and when the high beam circuit is activated, it raises a mechanical shutter to allow light from the source to pass at a heightened angle which increases the light path trajectory.

This mod is for the H4 incandescent lamp. So if you want to run the low beam that is normally not active in the OEM fairing version or you are converting to a single or double headlight from a faired OEM setup.

Blakester122

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

You just provide the tools. Kit has everything and I PMed you the info you'll need to get one.

So could I technically just buy the relay and do the install or I could by your kit and do the same? Also I want to and a connector for connecting my Garmin GPS for charging and possibly add another connection for my cell phone so I can listen to music and not drain my battery. This would be connected with cigarette lighter adapter. Is it possible to do all 3?

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So could I technically just buy the relay and do the install or I could by your kit and do the same? Also I want to and a connector for connecting my Garmin GPS for charging and possibly add another connection for my cell phone so I can listen to music and not drain my battery. This would be connected with cigarette lighter adapter. Is it possible to do all 3?

Thanks!

Yes! and I PMed you with a more in depth explanation. :D

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, I noticed you updated the OP to include the FZ16 kit. I actually just ordered one of the VS-02 kits from Vishnu and it should be here next week. If you could, would you give a bit more in-depth explanation of using this relay with that kit?

(Note: I've got an '06 that originally had the "jumper" dual headlight mod. Then I did the naked conversion with the Buell headlight and now I'm converting from that to the FZ16 headlight. While I'm not electrically knowledgeable, this also won't be my first rodeo with this mod...lol. But I'm very intrigued and definitely want to be able to upgrade from the 35w bulbs that come with the kit to 55w ones.)

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, I noticed you updated the OP to include the FZ16 kit. I actually just ordered one of the VS-02 kits from Vishnu and it should be here next week. If you could, would you give a bit more in-depth explanation of using this relay with that kit?

(Note: I've got an '06 that originally had the "jumper" dual headlight mod. Then I did the naked conversion with the Buell headlight and now I'm converting from that to the FZ16 headlight. While I'm not electrically knowledgeable, this also won't be my first rodeo with this mod...lol. But I'm very intrigued and definitely want to be able to upgrade from the 35w bulbs that come with the kit to 55w ones.)

Thanks!

Yes. I had conversation about the FZ16 headlamp and thought the lamp was a 55 watt H4 but found out it was 35 Watt. A few people wanted to upgrade to the standard 55 watt lamp used in the US and other countries. Naturally you need to shut off the low beam when the high beam is active with the 55 watt or there will be premature failure because of overheating. This could also translate to surrounding plastic if it was engineered to to use 75 watts max. with the original lamp as opposed to 115 watts if you ran the 55 watt H4 without proper switching.

You'll make 1 less connection with the kit for the single FZ16 H4 55 watt set up. If you've already done wiring with a Buell set up etc. you'll have no problem with this install. :D

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. I had conversation about the FZ16 headlamp and thought the lamp was a 55 watt H4 but found out it was 35 Watt. A few people wanted to upgrade to the standard 55 watt lamp used in the US and other countries. Naturally you need to shut off the low beam when the high beam is active with the 55 watt or there will be premature failure because of overheating. This could also translate to surrounding plastic if it was engineered to to use 75 watts max. with the original lamp as opposed to 115 watts if you ran the 55 watt H4 without proper switching.

You'll make 1 less connection with the kit for the single FZ16 H4 55 watt set up. If you've already done wiring with a Buell set up etc. you'll have no problem with this install. :D

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll PM you about picking one up from you. :D

grp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, so do you sell this, and ship to Norway ?
I was about to do the other one, but this seems much simpler
Thanks

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Great mod! Installation was straight forward and the relay is small enough to tuck in the frame to keep it clean. Cliff was a pleasure to deal with and provided everything in the kit necessary to install.

Would recommend to everyone, especially those who have done the naked conversion and are using an H4 bulb. Allows you to run a much brighter 55/60watt bulb and seamlessly switch between high and low beam without overheating.

monb

Reaction score
Visit site
Your dogs are so great! Hahaha!

Dogs are pretty interesting creatures! After you establish friendship you find that it's a friendship that may be based on territory. As I moved to different parts of Jerry's property they would become cautious again when I was at a new location. So they reacted differently when I moved toward the yard and then the same thing when I came in the house. They base things like approval on specific territories and although you are approved in the garage you may not be approved in the yard. Either this is unstudied data of the species in the science community or these dogs have figured out that they can get "Doughnut treat Tariffs" for different territories that they reign over: :rof::rof:

They are so cool! :rockon:

I love dogs because they are just honest creatures, but my real number one reason, they don't do DRAMA!!!

Last edited:

monb

Reaction score
Visit site
Below is quoted from the ad. It modulates the high beam. The FZ6 OEM headlamps are one H7 (left lamp. low beam only) and one H4 (right side no low beam and High beam only) so if you do the bd43 or my mod you will have low beam on both sides and a high beam on the right side. It says the circuit does not use the Low Beam. So it looks to me with the Headlight mod and the modulator you will modulate the one right side high beam. There is not a high beam on the left headlight.
I personally don't use the high beam at night cuz people get angry.
I'll probably see Kenny tomorrow. He's on his way to SoCal and hopefully we'll see him at the BBQ. He's riding his bike out and He had a leaky valve stem yesterday....

Which they had video example of modulator....

pathBlazer circuit modulates the hi-beam current - from 100% ON to about 17% OFF. This is accomplished by using a p-channel MOSFET, which is inherently safe. The MOSFET is designed to fail in the ON state. For additional safety, the circuits DO NOT utilize the lo-beam whatsoever!

MAX power rating is 115 watts. DO NOT EXCEED!

P115W-DHL comes with a detachable daylight sensor, which simply plugs into the pathBlazer. The daylight sensor functions as a switch; it stops modulation when it cannot see enough daylight. Since the internal circuitry is controlled by a microprocessor, it allows for customizable features.

Ok Motogiro hi, so I'm getting a little desperate to ride seeing this spell of 70-80 deg weather here in New England. Basically I just need lights on my bike...any light. I lowsided and damaged the fairing including the left front lens and cover but not the bulb, the right side remained intact. I removed all the fairing, got a hold of a pair of old school fork mount light bracket, and a round headlight (KOTO?) with 3 spade male terminal. I hooked it up to a battery and using the single horizontally oriented spade as a common neg, I established which of the 2 vertical spade gives the high and low beam. My plan was to tap the left positive on the connector (solid w tracer) to the identified low beam spade and the right positive connector w a different solid color and tracer to the high beam spade and using both their negative as a common ground to the one negative (I think) spade. It didn't work (that would have been too easy). So I put a multi-tester (set on 20vdc w motor running) individually on both the right and left connector and I got no voltage. I'm at a lost now and the other option is to take it to the shop which even if I can afford, takes away from the whole experience as I'm sure you can appreciate. I would appreciate any advice or pointing me on the right directions. Thank you very much

eh89

Reaction score
Visit site
This kit makes doing the dual headlight mod extremely easy. The instructions (and helpful pictures) make the process a breeze. It takes no time at all to install and I am very VERY pleased with the results. It was worth every penny and motogiro was tremendously helpful.
Cheers.
:D:D:D

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have the BD43 dual headlight on my 2007 faired FZ. I am considering ordering the naked kit from Vishnu and have been looking over this thread. It seems as if the bulb with the naked kit isn't very bright? First off, is the BD43 mod needed if I install Vishnu's kit? Second, if I were interesting in upgrading the bulb would I need either your relay or does the BD43 mod do the same thing to prevent overheating? Thanks for the help - I'm not a whole lot of help in the electrical world (chemical engineer... Haha)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have the BD43 dual headlight on my 2007 faired FZ. I am considering ordering the naked kit from Vishnu and have been looking over this thread. It seems as if the bulb with the naked kit isn't very bright? First off, is the BD43 mod needed if I install Vishnu's kit? Second, if I were interesting in upgrading the bulb would I need either your relay or does the BD43 mod do the same thing to prevent overheating? Thanks for the help - I'm not a whole lot of help in the electrical world (chemical engineer... Haha)

Generally the Vishnu kit has a dual 35 watt filament bulb which does put out less lumins than say the standard 55/60 watt dual filament Halogen lamps.

If you have the BD43 mod you can just upgrade to the higher wattage lamp and you're good to go! :D

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Generally the Vishnu kit has a dual 35 watt filament bulb which does put out less lumins than say the standard 55/60 watt dual filament Halogen lamps.

If you have the BD43 mod you can just upgrade to the higher wattage lamp and you're good to go! :D

Awesome! Thanks for the quick response (especially since that was the answer I was hoping for!). Now to decide if I make the conversion or not - I've almost convinced myself to do it

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Motogiro hi, so I'm getting a little desperate to ride seeing this spell of 70-80 deg weather here in New England. Basically I just need lights on my bike...any light. I lowsided and damaged the fairing including the left front lens and cover but not the bulb, the right side remained intact. I removed all the fairing, got a hold of a pair of old school fork mount light bracket, and a round headlight (KOTO?) with 3 spade male terminal. I hooked it up to a battery and using the single horizontally oriented spade as a common neg, I established which of the 2 vertical spade gives the high and low beam. My plan was to tap the left positive on the connector (solid w tracer) to the identified low beam spade and the right positive connector w a different solid color and tracer to the high beam spade and using both their negative as a common ground to the one negative (I think) spade. It didn't work (that would have been too easy). So I put a multi-tester (set on 20vdc w motor running) individually on both the right and left connector and I got no voltage. I'm at a lost now and the other option is to take it to the shop which even if I can afford, takes away from the whole experience as I'm sure you can appreciate. I would appreciate any advice or pointing me on the right directions. Thank you very much

Sorry I missed this post. I was out of commission for a little bit.
I hope you've resolved this issue. If you look at the beginning of this thread you will find PDF's with a lot of info. There are basically 3 wires on the US version of the FZ6 that feed the headlamps on the left headlamp plugs, there is a black wire (negative/ground) and a black with green tracer (low beam) On the right headlamp plug there is a black wire (ground/negative) and a black with yellow tracer wire (high beam).

Test these wires to see that there is voltage on these wires. You must start the engine for these circuits to come on. If you are converting to a single dual filament lamp or want to light the right side low beam that's not wire in the stock set up, you'll want to mod this circuit to keep your lamp from overheating and failing. Hope this helps as late as I'm getting to it but just in case you haven't resolved it just PM me or repost in the the electrical section of the forum for discussion. :D

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So Tuesday night I came across this thread and thought, "What a great idea!". PM'd Motogiro and the relay arrived today. Talk about fast! Well packaged, wires well labeled, easy as pie. Had it installed in about an hour, and now my 05 FZ6 looks as it should have from the factory.
Many thanks, Motogiro! You rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.