Using a hose

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read somewhere before that it can be bad to use a hose on a bike. However, as i'm going to be riding in the winter, i would like to use a hose to wash the salt off my bike everyday. If i use a hose, low powered, will this be OK?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the general concensus is to avoid doing it while it is hot, and not to use a pressure washer.

A standard hose can't do much harm unless you do it everyday. And if you do it everyday avoid wetting the head bearings everytime as they are known to rust.

Good tip is to use a leaf blower to dry it, takes no time at all!

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the general concensus is to avoid doing it while it is hot, and not to use a pressure washer.

A standard hose can't do much harm unless you do it everyday. And if you do it everyday avoid wetting the head bearings everytime as they are known to rust.

Good tip is to use a leaf blower to dry it, takes no time at all!

Thanks, but i will probably do it everyday, as i do not want the winter weather to ruin my bike. I won't need to dry it as i will be cleaning it once i have finished work so it will then be covered overnight and left to dry.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not clean when hot and NEVER use a pressure washer..

otherwise i have washed mine about every 2 weeks (not during winter) over the last 8 years and never had a problem.. I would think (unless you have some highly corrosive road salt over there) that you could get away with washing it down maybe every 3-4 days. everyday might be a little much and i dunno if i would let it dry while covered..

otherwise good luck!!

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site

otherwise i have washed mine about every 2 weeks (not during winter) over the last 8 years and never had a problem.. I would think (unless you have some highly corrosive road salt over there) that you could get away with washing it down maybe every 3-4 days. everyday might be a little much and i dunno if i would let it dry while covered..

otherwise good luck!!

Thank you. I 'm really worried, as i rode my Honda CG125 through the winter and it absolutely ruined the exhaust on it, i want to ensure that i keep the bike as clean as i can through the winter.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site

otherwise good luck!!
I agree with the quoted post. Especially if you use a 'normal' bike cover. It will never really dry.

Check this, I've been using one for years. (standard Model)

Motorcycle Covers, Motorcycle Shelter, Enclosed Motorcycle Cover - Bike Barn

If you have a place to set this up, they are great. I've been living in an apartment for 5 years and have had one set up in my driveway. Leave the vents open in the top so that it can breath and the bike will dry well.

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the quoted post. Especially if you use a 'normal' bike cover. It will never really dry.

Check this, I've been using one for years. (standard Model)

Motorcycle Covers, Motorcycle Shelter, Enclosed Motorcycle Cover - Bike Barn

If you have a place to set this up, they are great. I've been living in an apartment for 5 years and have had one set up in my driveway. Leave the vents open in the top so that it can breath and the bike will dry well.

I have seen these and have been looking around for a second-hand one. they're a bit pricey for me atm unfortunately :(

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I would not cover a wet bike or even a wet car!

Moisture need to be able to escape or you are going to get rust very fast...

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
id also add, wax the crap out of the bike before winter. I attribute how great my 05 looks from how much waxing it see's. In the beginning of the season the bike gets a wash and 2 coats of gloss / sealer and 3 coats of hard turtle wax (not the liquid kind).. then after every wash, it gets a coat of liquid wax. Then before i put it away for the winter, I use regular dish soap to take off most of the wax, then 2 coats of gloss / sealer and 2 coats of hard wax.

if i was going to ride in the winter and worried about winter grim, i would put on like 4 coats of gloss / sealer and 4-5 coats of hard wax. that should hold up nicely for the winter and keep the grim off the paint.

guess you cant really do that with the engine and all, but your paint will look amazing!!