Valve clearance - inquiry

PauliusD

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So my FZ6 needed a valve clearance check for a while now. It has nearly done 56 000 Km so quite beyond the recommended interval. Decided to do them myself and learn in the process. Got myself a good set of feeler gauges that basically can do 0.01mm increments from 0.03 up to 0.5mm ( need to stack them).
I disassembled the bike as much as it is needed, did all my valve clearance checks and in my surprise all of them are still in spec (see attached table for exact measurements).

So I have two questions for people who are smarter than me and have done this more times than me:
1. Am I being paranoid about all the exhaust and some intake valves being on the tighter side? I mean they are in spec, but that is cutting it close in my mind. I feel I can't sleep well without someone smarter than me saying - it's in spec. forget about it until the next interval
2. Is it normal that valve clearances change after a few rotations of the crank? When I opened up the valve cover the first cylinder exhaust valves (at TDC) measured 0.2mm. After a few turns of the crank they were at 0.24. I remeasured them 5 times turning the engine over with each separate measurement. The bike did sit idle for ~3 days before this job. Did not observe this on any other cylinder valves.

And of course - attaching some pictures of the process.

Attachments

• valves.PNG
    valves.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0476.jpeg
    IMG_0476.jpeg
    999.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0477.JPEG
    IMG_0477.JPEG
    981.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0479.JPEG
    IMG_0479.JPEG
    828.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0480.JPEG
    IMG_0480.JPEG
    784.1 KB · Views: 18

PauliusD

Reaction score
Visit site
The gap shouldn't be changing as long as your cranking over clockwise at TDC.

As long as your within spec, your good..

Thanks for the reply, Scott! Makes me feel much better.
To be specific: when I opened up the valve cover cylinder 1 was almost at TDC. I had to turn the crank just a few degrees CLOCKWISE untill it was spot on TDC. My theory is - there was no load on cylinder 1 valves for 3 days and the valves went up by 0.04mm. Sounds strange, but can't think of anything else.
All other ~5 measurements on that cylinder were done rotating the engine clockwise 720 degrees between each measurement (so it goes back up to TDC)