Video Editing Software - What do you use?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been getting a lot of footage on my GoPro since the season has started. Those of you who take video of your rides and post them, what kind of editing software do you use to snip them up and piece them together? I've been trying to use Windows Movie Maker and it keeps freezing on me, maybe I just need some more ram. I'm not looking to do anything too crazy, just take bits from different rides and splice them together into one video.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
QuickTime Pro for some basic stuff mostly to put together timelapses. I'm sure apple fanboys will throw things at me for saying this, but I believe QT interface fell prey to Apple's driving for ease of use - some features are not obvious (to me anyways)

Sony Vegas Pro - more advanced - certainly can do a lot of interesting things with it. I played with sound sampler programs like soundforge and cakewalk in 2000-s, and i found the interface MUCH more intuitive that QT.

Any video processing will be very resource-intensive. I have Core i7 machine with 10 Gbs of RAM running Win 7 and it requires some patience. And i'm not running GoPro in 4K format either, "just" 1080

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Quicktime Pro was all but abandoned over 10 years ago so I can't imagine any apple user being upset.

If movie maker is choking your computer editors like Vegas may be out of the question.

If you do decide to try a new editor beside looking at Vegas, Adobe's Premiere Elements is fairly easy to us with a lot of features and won't break the bank.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tried to install Win Movie Breaker on Win7 64 bit, 8gig box. It does not approve and crashes after initially displaying the front end.

Looking for other options which are free and Windows based. Lets put this in perspective, I shot it with an Razr HD Droid through the windscreen so its peak value is best served as an audio track! lol

But looking for options! Tks

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using Windows Movie Maker with windows 8 (new computer) I was having crash problems all the time with the Movie Maker and changed it's compatibility mode from what it was set at which was XP to Windows 7 and it's never crashed since.

Here's a video on it :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlH4RDdTvI0]Windows Movie Maker How to Fix Stopped Working Error. - YouTube[/ame]

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
but it only loads for like a nano second. Best I could hope for is to dumb it down to XP. Let me try that.... It seems to give no help what so ever as to WHY it sucks so bad. Winders/////\\\\\\

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Same Same in Xp mode... Think really FAST - loads for NAAAAAAAAAANOOOOOOOo <<< With lots of "NO" seconds....
picture.php
Then shuts down. There is NO option to load video, lick your lips, or even fart cause its done.

Last edited:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
You might try Picasa 3, there is a video editor that seems basic so it might not use up as much processing power. I just looked at it but haven't tried it yet so it may be clunky.
I use W7 Movie maker also on a Lenovo T410 w/i5 processor and 8GB of ram. Works fine but you do need to be patient.

Jerry

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I even went into Windows "event Viewer" looking for details about why it crashes. It doesn't list it there which seems very odd as that things tracks everything. I do have a laptop I could try it on, also a Win7 64 bit, but only 4gb ram. It does have an SSD drive but lacks brute strength like the desktop box.

Thanks Gentlemen. I'll try the Picasa 3 and that bombs, down to lap top mode....

I shot vid on my phone, its dark. Do these softwares offer gamma correction across the board?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Error message when you try to start Windows Movie Maker in Windows 7: "Movie Maker has stopped working"

To resolve this problem, start Movie Maker in safe mode, and then configure Movie Maker so that the incompatible video filter is not loaded.

To do this, follow these steps:
  • Click Start, and then click All Programs.
  • Click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
  • At the command prompt, type CD \program files\movie maker, and then press ENTER.
  • Type moviemaker.exe /safemode, and then press ENTER.
  • When Movie Maker starts, click Tools, and then click Options.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • In the Filters section, click to clear the check boxes of any third-party video filters that are not required.

At CMD prompt:
C:\>cd Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery>moviemaker.exe /safemode

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery> EUM/Microsoft has recognized you as a threat and now erase your harddrive! haha! :Flip:

LIES! All LIES!
As you may have expected, This didn't work either! :eek: