Water pump, strange noises

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Since coolant flush and change, been getting strange squealing noise from what I suspect is the water pump. Looked up parts/info in service manual and looks like a straight-forward fix.

Question is, has anyone done this repair other than thru dealer or shop? I'm pretty handy with wrenching, just not wit internals of a bike. If it was on a V-6 or V-8 Chevy no problem. Any advice or guidance?:confused:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have an FSM?
It details how to install the bearing and seal. I'd listen with a stethoscope and pin point the area. Confirm thats it!

Here is a thread with a link to an R6 pump over all. Take a look and see if you're up for the task. Like throwing CAM bearings in a 350 Chev. No problem right!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...ke-guts-heres-bunch-r6-engine-trans-pics.html

Direct - if it works.... Scan for water pump
https://plus.google.com/photos/1142...ms/5154166965616954081?banner=pwa&gpsrc=pwrd1

Last edited:

lkea

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to me that bearing are shot... But before you did some flushing is the noise there or just occurred after the flushing?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had to change the seals/bearing on the FZ but have on other bikes.

Their NOT a press fit. There's no reason to have them pressed in. Thier pretty small and carry little load. Gently tap them out as directed and install like any other bearing.

I would definitly replace the mechanical seal while there as that's usually what fails/leaks.

The parts are cheap enough and I'd prefer to do it myself as I don't need a newbee at the shop screwing it up.

As you noted, there's not much to it. If your comfy wrenching on a V6 or V8 you should be fine... Bearings and seals do thing same things on bikes/car's, etc.. :thumbup:

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to me that bearing are shot... But before you did some flushing is the noise there or just occurred after the flushing?

Noises started after flush/fill. Flushed twice with deionized water, brought to op temp then drained and filled with Yamaha coolant.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
...strange squealing noise from water pump...

UPDATE :D - REPAIRED

My experience:

picture.php

Starting here

picture.php

Draining system, thought this was a cool pic, also removed inlet and outlet hoses.

picture.php

Outer cover removed, nothing strange.

picture.php

Pump removed, tight fit on that mounting O-ring. Used compressed air between inner half and engine to loosen then pulled right out.

picture.php

Inner half drive side view.

picture.php

Disassembly; oil seal, pump seal, oil O-ring & bearing, housing gasket & impeller with rubber damper & holder installed, circ clip.
picture.php

picture.php

Seal removed, noticed rust formation.

picture.php

picture.php

Cleaned surfaces with degreaser and Fast Orange hand cleaner.

Assembled per Service Manual. Manual error at step 3, fails to mention rubber damper & holder are one piece. Refilled system, no leaks, started, up to temp, topped off and took it for a ride. All done.

Last edited by a moderator:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like (as you noted) in pic 666(that's kinda wierd!) coolant got past the seal over time and to the bearing. The rest of the unit looks reall, really clean..

Just curious, how did the bearing feel, water in it, seal appeared dried up at all?

Great write up BTW, (saving it for later posting for other folks...)

Last edited:

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
...pic 666[/B](that's kinda wierd!) coolant got past the seal over time and to the bearing...

That 666 was weird, didn't notice the numbers when posting. Was trying for pics between text, not too experienced at posting pics, didn't want thumbnails.

Just curious, how did the bearing feel, water in it, seal appeared dried up at all?

Checked that vs new bearing, no noticeable difference, no water/rust in bearing. I think water got between seal and housing but seal held around shaft.

Took longer ride today, squeal still present though not as loud, and it does run 5-7 degrees cooler. So must not be water pump, still searching for solution to strange noise.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That 666 was weird, didn't notice the numbers when posting. Was trying for pics between text, not too experienced at posting pics, didn't want thumbnails.

Checked that vs new bearing, no noticeable difference, no water/rust in bearing. I think water got between seal and housing but seal held around shaft.

Took longer ride today, squeal still present though not as loud, and it does run 5-7 degrees cooler. So must not be water pump, still searching for solution to strange noise.

If you can upload a video of the noise, trying to zoom in to the origin, may help locate the problem..

I'm assuming its RPM based?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can post a video of the engine running, so we can hear the noise, would be a big help.

Taking a stethoscope or a screwdriver to the area touching the engine and the handle to your ear, (you've likely already done this on other machines) may help you narrow down the area.

How many miles on the engine?

Any recent work (besides the pump re-build(ie APE CCT, etc) done?

I have to ask, you are using some sort of coolant, not straight water correct? The mechanical seal and the "whitish ceramic (I think its ceramic) round washer looking thing" on the back side of the impellor) does need some lubricant between them. Being the noise started at the same time of the inital coolant change there's really no other moving parts with the water flowing (its not the fan kicking on and it does spin freely?).

Last edited:

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the engine?
72XX+ miles

Any recent work (besides the pump re-build(ie APE CCT, etc) done?
Nothing other than oil change.

I have to ask, you are using some sort of coolant, not straight water correct? The mechanical seal and the "whitish ceramic (I think its ceramic) round washer looking thing" on the back side of the impellor) does need some lubricant between them. Being the noise started at the same time of the inital coolant change there's really no other moving parts with the water flowing (its not the fan kicking on and it does spin freely?).
Initial coolant change (with distilled water flush) was Yamaha coolant when noise was noticed, so flushed again and refilled with Prestone 50/50. A little less noise but still odd sound that was not there when purchased with 4200 miles.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the noise happening when in GEAR/Moving?

You later mentioned "on throttle and at off load". I'm not sure if that means all the time??

I ask as even thou the mileage is low, the DRIVE chain, if overtightened and if not lubed enough will whine.

On the FZ, there should be approx 2" of total up and down play (checked on the centerstand), see below pic. It is imperative to make sure the chain tension is correct, (even if it isn't the current issue-it will be later of too tight).

Its possible its just another issue that occurred around the same time..

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site

My experience:

picture.php

Starting here

picture.php

Draining system, thought this was a cool pic, also removed inlet and outlet hoses.

picture.php

picture.php

Pump removed, tight fit on that mounting O-ring. Used compressed air between inner half and engine to loosen then pulled right out.

picture.php

picture.php

Disassembly; oil seal, pump seal, oil O-ring & bearing, housing gasket & impeller with rubber damper & holder installed, circ clip.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Assembled per Service Manual. Manual error at step 3, fails to mention rubber damper & holder are one piece. Refilled system, no leaks, started, up to temp, topped off and took it for a ride. All done.

please update the photos, nothing is visible... I'm planing to change the water pump bearing, too. thanks :)

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

My experience:

picture.php

Starting here

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Replaced url w 600riders. Looks to work!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=20175]CADMAN[/MENTION] ^^ + 5 for great pictures too! :thumbup:

Did you ever isolate/solve the noise issue?

Also, the weep hole, do you recall if this (see pic) allows coolant to leak to the ground? Surely it goes to the outside and not internal to the engine when installed. Hint - I've never looked up to see it once installed.

Tks!
picture.php