Welp I Gotta Mod Prob

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I painted my 08 stock windshield awhile back, and about a week ago i was just joy riding on back country roads, my favorite thing to do :thumbup:, when i decided to push the bike a bit since i havn't done it before.

Well it was all good just got the bike up to 105mph on a nice long straight away with fields on both sides. I started to let off the throttle when POOF!!!! Feathers everywhere. Oh about ten or so little sparrows decided to fly in front of me :spank:. After I slowed to a nice stop I decided to go check out what and how many I hit.

Turns out i hit one tiny little sparrow, then..... i noticed my windshield....:banghead: kinda looked like the bird somehow scratched the paint off my windshield but wait i painted to inside of the windshield? So upon closer inspection at home i realized the force of the impact actually blew a chunk of on my Krylon Plastic Fusion spray paint right off! ehhhh

Next thought wow that stuff comes off easy, WRONG!!!! This stuff doesn't come off easy at all, after multiple attempts with different products my father knew of something that eats paint and doesn't eat plastic called Nylosolv C, now thats some crazy stuff! check out the pics of it eating to paint, downside, oh ya theres always a downside, it fogged the every living hell out of the windshield, tried to use plastic polish but to no avail live and learn.

Tried to repaint the windshield none the less turns out you can still see the fog on the windshield, looks like poop :(

This brings me to my mod question, does anyone know where i can get a stock windshield at a really good price? cause i don't know how long i will be able to look at a fogged streaky windshield.

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
There was one on ebay a couple of days ago dont know if it is still there. Otherwise check out craigs list, or there might be some on here in the parts for sell section.

Todd08

Molly and Jacks Dad
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about the bird and windscreen. If your windscreen is cracked on the outside, I have a stock 08 windscreen that I screwed up on the upper part with goof off (dumb) on the outside. With a little creative work, or sticker, it could get you through. The scar is about 2" by 4", other than that the windscreen is in good condition. Anyway, sorry about the accident with the bird, glad your OK and the windscreen is yours if you want it, just tell me where to send it. The paint mod post did look pretty awsome.:thumbup:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you tried something as simple as SimpleGreen (no pun intended) to get that oily looking stuff off? Chances are since it is residue from the bird that an organic solvent with do the trick. I use this stuff to get bugs and bird-$hit off my bike/car all the time and it works great. Just make sure you are ready to wash it with soap and water right afterward. Otherwise, it leaves a white film on the plastic.

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The scar is about 2\" by 4\", other than that the windscreen is in good condition. Anyway, sorry about the accident with the bird, glad your OK and the windscreen is yours if you want it, just tell me where to send it. The paint mod post did look pretty awsome.:thumbup:

Might have to take you up on that offer if i can't find a new one cheap

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Not one of you cares about the bird :Flip:

Good point!

I'd recommend broiling the bird at 350 degrees, basting every couple of minutes with a white wine sauce.

Re the windscreen, if you're going to repaint, just sand the windscreen until it's smooth again. The paint will also stick better after the sanding.

If you've gotten all the paint off and want it clear again, you can buy plastic polish at auto parts stores. It's usually sold as headlight restorer polish. It'll take some elbow grease, but I bet you can clean up that windscreen and get it clear again.

I can't promise that the Yamaha symbol will survive the process.

Fred

D

D-Rock

Just to toss this idea out there. I paint R/C car bodies and we use only use the paint they sell in the hobby shops because it is pliable and will bend with the plastic. That way it won’t crack when wrecks happen on the track, or a bird flies in front of it… Just an Idea for the next one you paint.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also try sanding it all out with 400 grit until the fog and paint it all gone, then wet sand with 800 or better grit. Then, put the black paint on it. At this point, you'll likely have a new stocker and can play with this one all you want. :thumbup:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good point!

I'd recommend broiling the bird at 350 degrees, basting every couple of minutes with a white wine sauce.

Fred

But you will need more than one for a good feed :D

A mate of mine hit a kangaroo on his XT500 out in the country one night,in the nearest town the only thing open was the pub, so him and a friend went in there to get patched up.The publican asked what happened and asked if the 'roo was dead on the road,my friend said yes,about 2 k's away.With that the publican yelled out to the cook........"Get my ute and go pick up that 'roo , we will eat well tonight " !.................true story .

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also try sanding it all out with 400 grit until the fog and paint it all gone, then wet sand with 800 or better grit. Then, put the black paint on it. At this point, you'll likely have a new stocker and can play with this one all you want. :thumbup:

Ya i think i'll buy that one off that web site and put it on now,then do what you recommend and maybe play around a little with it and see what kinda paint job or even mod i can make out of the old one