What are the chances I wrecked my motor??

MuscleMilk

Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to regretfully say I had my first lay-down on my FZ6 a couple weeks ago. It was about 30mph and laid on the left side and aside from the cosmetics, it cracked the stator cover open like an egg and all of the bike's oil came out. I mean a lot. With all of the adrenaline I think my mind shut off, and the next thing I knew the bike was off but the kill switch was still on run (so the bike shut itself off). Insurance claim is being processed, the shop has given me an estimate. Bike is totalled. So from here I decided whether I buy back and fix myself (and have salvage title) or take a check, refinance, and get a new bike. They said I will most likely need a new stator and flywheel, yet they didn't pull the rest of the cover to check the damage and truly see. I pulled the cover myself yesterday and checked, the stator is definitely shot, however the flywheel seems to be okay wear-wise, that's assuming the clearance between the inside flywheel and outside stator doesn't have to be extremely close. I pulled the plug wires so it couldn't fire (without oil) and turned over the motor to see if the crankshaft seemed bent. Seemed good, but to be sure I'm using a runout sort of dial tester tomorrow (accurate to 1/10000 inches) to see if the crankshaft is truly out of alignment. Here's my main dilemma though:

A) I don't want to buy back the bike from insurance if the motor is shot (cosmetics are fairly minimal), so next question:
B) Does the 08 FZ6 have a tip over switch? Or did it turn off because it ran out of oil, can I tell?

Frame and tank is untouched, handlebars bent, the rest is just plastics and brackets (shift bracket, mirrors, signals...). I can fix all of this myself, and I can replace the flywheel/stator myself, but that might be no good if I decide to buy back and find out my engine is toast. And it's hard to justify buying a new stator and cover now just to tell if they engine seems to run fine, when I may never see that money, or the bike again...

Sorry if this got long, I just wanted to cover all my angles. Good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

There is a lean angle sensor so the engine shut off because the bike was on it's side. :)

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a bit of a dilemma you got there. Can't really help you other than offer you this cover for an amazing low low $5 + shipping :rolleyes: It's scratched of course but if you want to test the engine for cheap, then you already have one piece. You will also need a gasket but you could use your old one if it is for testing purposes only. Let us know how it goes.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
did you ride the bike soon after the spill? or was it towed home?

if you did not ride it the motor is most probably ok. the bike shuts itself off when it falls over. it does have a tip over switch

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Engine is likely fine. There was no load to speak of and it was off in matter of moments. So as far health risk from oil starvation, I'd say its very low risk. Iirc the stator itself is not cheap.

Glad you're ok and wish to fix and ride again! Good luck.

MuscleMilk

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everybody. I checked the crankshaft for runout yesterday and it's not bent, so that's good.

Turbid: I threw the bike on a trailer.

elus1ve: I shouldn't need that cover right now if the engine's most likely OK. I'll most likely just buy a new one. But I appreciate the offer.

I can't wait to get back on the bike again!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It really doesn't look that bad...

There's several bikes being parted out so if you need a flywheel/stator, you should be able to find something much less than MSRP.

The Tip over switch is under the right side Pod:

Last edited: