~~~ What did you do to your Bike Today Thread??? ~~~

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my erratic Oxford heated grips controller with the new v8. It has simplified wiring and was easily swapped out. Upon testing, its battery saving mode reduces the power consumption and heat output when it detects a low voltage around 12.68 and flashes a warning on the display. So far so good.

Also noticed slight fork oil seepage from my Andreani left fork cap. I added some pipe thread tape to hopefully resolve that as the O-ring appears to be in good shape.

V8 controller Oxford heated grips are working well. 30 miles in 50F temps @ 75% worked well. It's so nice to already be riding with my preferred leather gloves instead of bulky and clumsy winter gloves.

The Andreani fork cap is now staying sealed with the teflon tape on the threads this time. :D

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Reinstalled my Cee Bailey 24" touring windshield and went for a cold ride (45F). It really deflects a ton of cold air and helps keep me comfortable for longer in the early spring while quieting the wind. Heated grips can only do so much.

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled off fairing which was scraped and damaged from previous owner's drops. Prepped and plasti dipped it black to match the tire hugger/chain guard and rear bumper. Left off light "eye lids". Re-bent attachment pieces by tank. Looks better and rattles and whistles far less. I may go naked eventually but this is an improvement IMO. The bike really feels peppier now! - jk

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Heated Hand Grips sounds like a great Idea, wish I had them too.

I did a bunch of small stuff to the bike, I will add a picture...

* Blue rim tape
* Tank side Grips
* Coleman MadDog seat cover\cushion, which got mad review on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JMK7N8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

total cost of mods $40 :D

20180403_083232.jpg

I had to make a mod to let the seat cover so it would fit better, that is why you see the side wire holding it in place, instead of the straps it comes with. I have now painted it black and it is really not noticeable...

Looking forward being able to ride it, but weather here in CT has been so cold and does not look like it will warm up anytime soon :(

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so today, I started to investigate why my horn would intermittently not work. My first thought was the relay had given up the ghost as I have a stebel horn and have had relays die in the past. Put in the new relay hit the button- no horn but the relay is clicking so power is getting thru. just no noise?!?!
So I start having look at the wiring near the horn for anything untoward and I see that one of the connectors onto the original horn (connected in parallel with the stebel) has broken and the other wire has actually been rubbing and then shorting, which may also have contributed to the low beam occasionally flickering a little. ( 'nother issue that was due for investigation but may well be resolved) Anyways, new relay, new connectors , new double layer of twin wall shrink wrap over the wiring where it might still be subject to rubbing- all good.
A quick check of the system
12.4 v from the batt at idle, a drop to 11 ish at cranking and up to 14v when the revs are at 3k Oh and i tweaked the idle up from 1k to around 1200 rpm so it doesn't bog down at take off.

btw did I mention that I had new front end springs and 7.5 mt oil replaced up front and a new spring and shock on the rear about two weeks back- feels like a new bike! but one I am very used too.

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Today I got my bike registered and took it for a spin after nearly a year in the shed. I've been doing a few mods on the bike over the year like swapping the clutch slave lever for a longer one from a Yammy 350 quad bike, a pair of Devil Magnum pipes from Ebay, and a new mod I have been working on for the last few months. It was a cool and cloudy day but the time was right to get out on the bike and blow away the cobwebs! The bike finally feels like it should, with a nice light clutch with a friction zone, and a really nice sound from the pipes. The other thing is that I finally cured the vibrations which had been bugging me for the last few years. I don't get much time to ride because of work and family commitments, but I still love the FZ to bits!

20180811_092958.jpg

20180811_093112.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Conclusion; this bike is best left stock :D

^^ ha!
Nope! Not true! The FZ loves mod's!

attachment.php

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ ha!
Nope! Not true! The FZ loves mod's!

Agreed

0UXrwyl.jpg

Mods, mods, mods:

• Leo Vince slip on, custom TIG-welded midpipe w/factory cat
  • FZ6R speedo swap w/shortened harness, custom brazed aluminum mounting bracket
  • FZ1N headlight w/ main beam LED projector and halo, headlight blacked out inside and out, custom stainless fork clamp mounts
  • Italmoto bellypan with custom stainless brackets
  • Ermax rear seat cowl
  • Supracor seat cushion with stock cover
  • Motodynamic sequential signal LED tail light
  • SpeedDRD
  • G2 Throttle Tamer throttle tube
  • 2007 rear swingarm swap
  • BikeMaster Alien Angle LED front turn signals
  • Denali Soundbomb horn custom mounted left side with relay
  • Bar risers 1" up / 1.25" back
  • FZ1 handlebar
  • aluminum black on black levers
  • IDEA green LED gear indicator
  • LuckyBike heavy bar ends powdercoated black
  • Naked mirrors
  • K&N air filter
  • right OEM frame plug
  • black keyless quick-turn gas cap
  • chartreuse green/yellow wheel striping
  • Bar filled with liquid urethane rubber to dampen vibrations
  • ProGrip cruiser gel grips
  • keyless ignition
  • Gloss black ProGrip tank pad
  • Tank grips
  • 15T front sprocket
  • front fork tubes, frame, engine, body, and wheels all painted black
  • Rear fender delete
  • Keyless seat lock
  • DIY lengthened clutch slave lever (easier handle pull)
  • hidden led license plate light on exhaust trim facing front

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to work and went in and grabbed a wrench and tightened my wobbly right mirror.
Exciting but true.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
not much actually- just put the trickle charger on -it went to float in about 60 minutes---- just keeping the battery up to charge, cant wait to throw the leg over tomorow, only 25C for the ride to/from work yay!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the blanket of Crises yesterday and inspected her for mouse droppings... Nothing observed!!

On that note; she'll need a new rear tire, an oil change, and some fresh coolant this year.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
New spark plugs (+10HP)
Slapped a new tank pad on, too (+10HP)

Gonna ride in the city only for today (never ride far right after maintenance), but tomorrow I will be FORCED (against my will, I swear) to go for a longer ride, exclusively for testing purposes of course :D

zrexrich

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I did a oil/filter change. Pulled the air box lid, inspected/ordered a new air filter. Thought about modding the air box lid but managed to resist.
Today I went and rounded up the supplies need for the D.I.Y. manometer in FIZZER6's thread https://www.600riders.com/forum/how...r-throttle-body-sync.html?highlight=sync+tool.
Tomorrows plans (if I can get off my a** and step away from the computer) are to make said manometer, sync throttle bodies, check/change the spark plugs, and install a 17 tooth counter shaft sprocket.