What is the correct operating temperature?

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't help but feel it's too low even though all the threads I've been reading has been agreeing that what I have is right.

Only cold days (like ~35F-45F) the bike runs at ~165F and a warmer day like 60F or higher has it running at only like 171F. Being used to cars that have their T-stat kick on at 195F, is this really ok? Shouldn't it run more in that range of 190-200 like a car when moving? (since if it sits in traffic on a hot day it can get in that range no problem)

My bike doesn't have a problem warming up to temperature (that I know of) but I just can't help that this temperature is less than ideal for best efficiency. (I often get mid to high 40 MPGs but not the low 50 MPGs like many others here and I don't drive overly spirited, am completely stock and riding mostly highway.

Any thoughts or is everything fine? (Truthfully I haven't gotten to ride it in extended periods of warm weather so that could be part of it too)

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty close to what I run. If it's 20-50 degree, I get about 165 deg on the highway. Over 50-ish, it goes up to about 175. In town, about 195ish. 215 parked with the fan off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't help but feel it's too low even though all the threads I've been reading has been agreeing that what I have is right.

Only cold days (like ~35F-45F) the bike runs at ~165F and a warmer day like 60F or higher has it running at only like 171F. Being used to cars that have their T-stat kick on at 195F, is this really ok? Shouldn't it run more in that range of 190-200 like a car when moving? (since if it sits in traffic on a hot day it can get in that range no problem)

My bike doesn't have a problem warming up to temperature (that I know of) but I just can't help that this temperature is less than ideal for best efficiency. (I often get mid to high 40 MPGs but not the low 50 MPGs like many others here and I don't drive overly spirited, am completely stock and riding mostly highway.

Any thoughts or is everything fine? (Truthfully I haven't gotten to ride it in extended periods of warm weather so that could be part of it too)

Your temps are in line with mine as well. 165F on a chilly day, 175-180F in medium stop and go usually..

It does have a 165 F thermostat in it. The newer cars, for efficiency, run hotter and the roughly average thermostat is 210F or so.

I get about 48 beating around town, (usually under 60 MPH), an occasional ride into the higher RPM's.

The bikes, it they are indeed getting 50 +, may be highway miles in there bumping it up.

I keep my bike in the best mechainical shape as possible, lubed chain often, semi synthetic oil, fluids changed regularly, air pressure in tires to the max (rated on the tires), but really no regular highway riding..

Last edited:

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
50+ is probably a spocket job with a 140lb rider driving at 55mph. In all seriousness, I get about 45mpg as a 195lb rider with 20lbs of gear, riding at 70-95mph on crappy Indiana county roads. Crap gas. Premium only makes a 1-2 mpg difference.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, gotta wait for the system to let me rep ya haha.

Might just not have gotten the best weather for a full tank yet!

I'm 152lbs and usually have a ~30lb bag to school with me

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday was a prime example of everything you mention - its all over the map!
in short if you're not working it, its not making heat and runs at 163°F in the cooler climates of 60°F weather. It just goes up to "normal" when ambient climbs to 75°F!!!
As yesterday as an example; I road it hard up hill and temps were in the 185 range until I stopped and took a picture. BING - 190+++F and climbing. Start riding still spirited and it drops. Then on the way down the hill (2000F elevation drop) and it basically stuck on the stat at 165°F most of the time.

Like you it bugs me but its seems happy so I'll leave it be. I'd think 182°F would be a good place for it personally... but that's just me.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday was a prime example of everything you mention - its all over the map!
in short if you're not working it, its not making heat and runs at 163°F in the cooler climates of 60°F weather. It just goes up to "normal" when ambient climbs to 75°F!!!
As yesterday as an example; I road it hard up hill and temps were in the 185 range until I stopped and took a picture. BING - 190+++F and climbing. Start riding still spirited and it drops. Then on the way down the hill (2000F elevation drop) and it basically stuck on the stat at 165°F most of the time.

Like you it bugs me but its seems happy so I'll leave it be. I'd think 182°F would be a good place for it personally... but that's just me.
Yeah same, it just confuses me why it can't stay pegged at a warmer temperature. Is the cooling system that overqualified for the job? Maybe a later opening T-stat would be the answer. Like you I'd say 180-190F would probably give better mileage and run smooth like buttuh

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
My '08 runs 163F most of the summer.190F if temp high and in traffic.I think our thermostats open all the way at 183F.When it in the 25F-35F in winter I run about 156F.But the bike really screams in the cold! :cool: Rich

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
Same temps here, it's normal.

50+ is probably a spocket job with a 140lb rider driving at 55mph. In all seriousness, I get about 45mpg as a 195lb rider with 20lbs of gear, riding at 70-95mph on crappy Indiana county roads. Crap gas. Premium only makes a 1-2 mpg difference.

Premium doesn't give you better fuel economy. Where does this myth even come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk