What Octane gas do you use?

What Octane do you use?

• Total voters

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: What Octane gas do you use? // w details as to why!

I bought the bike new and used Chevron 91+ all 69,000 miles on it. It is an R6 engine with a red-line of 14,000 RPM. I felt no need to be cheap since it was only a $0.20 to $0.40 a gallon difference, which was $1 to $2 difference each tank. I recently pulled the heads off, and I could not believe how clean my pistons and valves were. I feel the extra couple bucks was worth it.

broody

Reaction score
Visit site
It makes no difference. Octane grade is mostly for detonation, 91 isn't "better" or more premium as it can be with a cheap mineral vs synthetic oil.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
It does make a difference.

"The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating (igniting). In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high performance gasoline engines that require higher compression ratio"

Since the FZ6/R6 engine is one of the highest revving motorcycle engines, I use 91+. I used Chevron because cheaper brands are crap! I have proof.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

USA run as low as sea level or up to 6000ft.
Ignition is mechanically advanced +6.5° from stock, 1deg cooler plugs, air box mod, S1 header on S2 chassis and open 2bro exhaust. AFR managed by Bazzaz Z-Fi FC and and Z-AFM data logger at 13.0:1.

That said Plus grade 89 oct below 80F ambient and Super 91-93 grade on days over 80F. I'll call it cheap insurance!
I'm getting roughly 200mi per tank before reserve and she pulls hard!! If you rip the grip in first the nose will be up and over. Comes up in 2nd too and you must back off or go over! Throttle response is Great and rewet perfect. Bike and rider are happy!

Just out of curiosity, have you had the bike dyno'd?

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It does make a difference.

"The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating (igniting). In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high performance gasoline engines that require higher compression ratio"

Since the FZ6/R6 engine is one of the highest revving motorcycle engines, I use 91+. I used Chevron because cheaper brands are crap! I have proof.

It doesn't for this bike.

The motor is derived from an R6 but is DETUNED so its fuel requirements differ from those of its race-oriented donor bike.

87 AKI for me!

CanadaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Started using 91 because I figured an engine of this caliber needed it, but when I read it can take 87 I switched to that. Still feels good, I don't really notice the difference if there is one.

racerjase

Reaction score
Visit site

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, a bunch of riders turned me on to the non ethanol fuel. I usually try to get the 92 octane. Then every year put a fuel system cleaner of your choice in.

Duckman

Braapp
Reaction score
Visit site

93 octane with star tron enzyme treatment. The blue stuff. Because it’s only got 4.5k miles and I like to think I’m keeping the motor healthy :rockon:

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
93 from BP or Shell. 12.1:1 is a high compression ratio (in my opinion). My truck is 10:1 if I remember correctly and it requires premium fuel. Probably not rational but it makes me feel better.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Premium fuel has the same energy content as regular fuel. The energy content is what gives the engine its power, in a nutshell. Therefore, premium won't give any sort of power boost over regular in a normal running engine, in most cases. Now, if you are putting a higher load on the engine, or some other unusual condition such as higher ambient heat, THEN premium can help. The ONLY job of premium is to increase knock resistance. Does your engine knock or ping? If not, then premium won't do much. All gas in the US comes from just a few refineries. Once refined, additive packages are added based on the buyers(shell, exxon, ect)request. Some buyers do not request strong additive packages, some have stronger additives for premium. If you go to stations that do "top tier" fuel, then the additives are the same regardless of octane level.

However, ethanol does change this a small amount. Ethanol has lower energy content, which is why the more ethanol that is added to gas, the less power it has and mpg. Ethanol does raise octane though. A gallon of ethanol has about 34% less energy content than a gallon of gas.

When it comes down to it, just use what the manual says, unless there is an extenuating circumstance. Using premium "just because" will only empty your wallet faster.

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Wondering what Octane everyone is running. User manual states that 87 is fine, what do you guys do?

I put some 91 shell gas in my bikes first fill but will be running 87 octane. its not really necessary to run higher octane gas in motor bikes it makes no difference in mileage. Its just good to hit it with some higher octane gas with additives such as shell gas to help clean up the system every once and a while. My bike was in storage for a year so some higher octane was in order to help with the fuel system. Once i run this tank out ill be puting in I think its 35ml of injector cleaner to really power house that fuel system. then every fill after that is going to be 87 octane. The lower octane gas also burns more easily if i am not mistaken.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
How about if you have a leo vinci exhaust, KNN filter and adjusted the fuel trough the co interface.
Can you still run 87 octane than?
I've been running 87 octane from BJs since I bought the bike. It has now 12k miles. From what I read in the past 87 was best... but dunno with mods...