What RPMs at certain speeds?

Brandon

Fastest FZ6 on my street!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've only have my bike for a few weeks, but I'm not really sure what RPMs I should be cruising at when I'm at speed. I cruise mainly at about 50-55 and also at about 60-65 with my normal daily commute. What's the best RPMs for good gas mileage? Oh and my bike is 100% stock everything

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a good question. At what speed, in top gear of course, do you get the best mileage? Lot's of things would affect it. Headwind, altitude, seating position, etc. That's one thing I wish our bikes had. A fuel consumption rate in real time would be really interesting and fun. For example at altitude, should I downshift or just open the throttle more when ascending?
I do get better mileage at altitude. I figure it's because since there is less air I have to open the throttle more which results in less throttle pumping loss. One reason diesels get better mileage. The throttle plates are missing! No dam in the way.
I'm going up one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket because I like efficiency. Of course my odo will not help figuring MPG as it will now read different-it would actually show less MPG. LOL The only thing to do would be fill up, go a prescribed map distance, fill up again and compare.
Anyone here do that when changing gearing?

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally run 6th for 60+. That gives me about 5.5-6k rpm for 60, and 6.5-7k rpm for 70. If there's traffic about I'll drop to 5th for 60 just to keep me closer to the power band for little squirts around cagers. Other than that I'll rev the knackers off it going up the box: 1st from 0-35, 3rd from 30-75 then straight into 6th. On the way down the box, I do the "10mph per gear" thing: coming down into a 50 zone, engine break from 60 to 50 in 5th, 40 zone I'll engine break from 60 (or 50 if I'm coming out of one) in 4th, 30 zone engine break from 40 in 3rd and then use 2nd for manoeuvres in town.

That gives me about 50-55mpg. I've heard of guys getting <40mpg. They must stay constantly in the power band (>8k rpm) and make a right bloody racket.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I actively try to keep mine in the 7k or 8k up range, for me this is where the bike is the most fun to ride and feels happiest. I will often take it to 12k.

On the highway i cruise at 85mph in 6th at 8000rpm.

I have a 15t front sprocket and get around 35mpg in mixed riding, and 30mpg on the highway.

It's not the best way of riding for best MPG, but it is the best way of riding for high level of fun.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if i'm cruising with no plans to overtake then I run it as high as 6th gear @ 30mph (36 indicated on mine). My bike is geared down a little though, so I have slightly more torque at the back.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally run 6th for 60+. That gives me about 5.5-6k rpm for 60, and 6.5-7k rpm for 70. If there's traffic about I'll drop to 5th for 60 just to keep me closer to the power band for little squirts around cagers. Other than that I'll rev the knackers off it going up the box: 1st from 0-35, 3rd from 30-75 then straight into 6th. On the way down the box, I do the "10mph per gear" thing: coming down into a 50 zone, engine break from 60 to 50 in 5th, 40 zone I'll engine break from 60 (or 50 if I'm coming out of one) in 4th, 30 zone engine break from 40 in 3rd and then use 2nd for manoeuvres in town.

That gives me about 50-55mpg. I've heard of guys getting <40mpg. They must stay constantly in the power band (>8k rpm) and make a right bloody racket.

I dev out to about 6K to 7K while up shifting until find where I wanna be. Then I cruise about 5K in whatever gear I landed in.

I'm getting just under 40MPG with this and stock gearings (that I know of -- I've never counted the sprockets before).

Nthdegreeburns

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For cruising, as long as I'm over 4K (48 MPH-GPS and Speedohealer set within .2 MPH), its in 6th gear.

About 48 MPG with stock gearing (around town-50 MPH roughly). That is with open Scorpion exhaust too..

A click or two with the left foot if I need to accelerate only takes a split second.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This has been one of those topics that has fiercely been debated with two opposing sides of the spectrum.

Personally I have always gone through the box and ride in town at 35 mph in sixth which is bugger all rpm.
For me if I want to have maximum tank range the key is don't go over 6000rpm.
I have had 60 UK mpg using this method. The down side is that when cruising you are travelling just under the speed of the other traffic which can at times become hazardous to you as a rider. The important issue is probably not what rpm you ride at, just don't lug (Labour) the engine as even at lower rpm it is not economical.

My normal riding style on my commute is in the 9k to 11K range which is about 140-150 miles to a brimmed tank.

Nelly:thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
With stock gearing this bike feels like it's lugging below 4K rpms unless you are going down a hill. The sweet spot just below 6K seems to yield me the best cruising fuel economy when over 45 mph.

As a rule of thumb, stay in the highest gear you can without going below 4K rpms or lugging the engine for best fuel economy.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
agree with Fizzer...

You'll get a feel for the bike as to what feels right and what doesn't. If it feels like it's laboring, it probably is, therefore change down. Otherwise head for 6th - unless you want to ditch the mpg ethic and go 'nuts deep ', in which case you need to be between 9k & 14k :rockon:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had 60 UK mpg using this method. :

I got a peak of 63mpg when I first got mine, I was scared to rev it properly, lol

I
dev out to about 6K to 7K while up shifting until find where I wanna be. Then I cruise about 5K in whatever gear I landed in.

I'm getting just under 40MPG with this and stock gearings (that I know of -- I've never counted the sprockets before).

Nthdegreeburns

Is that a US or UK gallon? Cause that seems really low. I literally save £80 a month on petrol ragging the bike instead of pootling along in the car, which coincidently is the loan repayment every month for it!

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
My normal range is 6k when cruising, 7-8k when need more power. Getting about ~46 mpg. 180-190 miles before the reserve.
To me 6 gear is like an overdrive, just when I want to cruise over 80-85 mph on highway.
When on twisties, you need to keep one gear down to have enough roll-off/roll-on power when entering/exiting corners (you want to use brakes as less as possible). 7-8 prm is ok for that.
Wana have 60-70 mpg bike - get a Vstrom or NC700X :)

Last edited:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that a US or UK gallon? Cause that seems really low. I literally save £80 a month on petrol ragging the bike instead of pootling along in the car, which coincidently is the loan repayment every month for it!k

I would guess it's US MPG. I have averaged just around 45 over the last 3 years or so.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
On the highway i cruise at 85mph in 6th at 8000rpm.

I have a 15t front sprocket and get around 35mpg in mixed riding, and 30mpg on the highway.

I'm glad you explained your different gearing. On my standard geared bike 8000 rpm in 6th is 96mph !!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finalimpact aka Randy has posted a really good thread on rpm to road speed. Use the search for more info.
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk