What RPM's do you tack at 80mph is 6th?

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Visit site
I asked this question in another thread but never got a reply. With a stock trim bike what RPM do you guys tack while running 80MPH is 6th gear. I ask because that’s the speed I run at. Thanks in advance.

Arkangel77:D

B

bluenova

My bike is stock, I think at about 80 mph (130 km/h) in 6th I'm doing about 6500 RPM

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
My rpm's are exactly 7k @ 80mph. Funny you should ask because I use the rpm/mph to tell what gear I'm in a lot of time.

Jake

chokeslam512

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
Visit site
My rpm's are exactly 7k @ 80mph. Funny you should ask because I use the rpm/mph to tell what gear I'm in a lot of time.

Jake

I do the same thing. I went from an '82 Suzy GS1100E and that made me really lazy with my riding because of the gear indicator. I never really learned to keep track of where I was and it was difficult at first adjusting to my Fizzer.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
at 80mph in 6th, I tach around 6500-7000. But don't tell my mom I went that fast hehe

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Well with power commander and two brothers exhaust, I run between 7000-7600 RPM at 80MPH. But before I put these mods on, it used to run 6000-6500 RPM.

Have fun with your FZ6. For me the best bike on the market ... :Flash:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well with power commander and two brothers exhaust, I run between 7000-7600 RPM at 80MPH. But before I put these mods on, it used to run 6000-6500 RPM.

Have fun with your FZ6. For me the best bike on the market ... :Flash:

Those mods should have absolutely no effect on the RPM vs. MPH. Unless you changed your sprockets/tires/speedo healer, your bike should read the same rpm at whatever mph in the same gear as a stock bike.

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Visit site
Those mods should have absolutely no effect on the RPM vs. MPH. Unless you changed your sprockets/tires/speedo healer, your bike should read the same rpm at whatever mph in the same gear as a stock bike.

In theory (mine anyway) if you mod the bike to make more power, shouldent you actualy turn up slightly less rpm to achive the same speed/HP output? IDK what do ya think?

Arkangel77

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In theory (mine anyway) if you mod the bike to make more power, shouldent you actualy turn up slightly less rpm to achive the same speed/HP output? IDK what do ya think?

Arkangel77

Well, if the FZ-6 had some sort of CV transmission or viscous transmission, yes. But it is a mechanical, gear driven driveline. There is no slipping parts except for when the clutch is being engaged and disengaged.

Think of a bigwheel, you turn it upside down and pedal the pedals; the wheel goes as fast as you pedal the pedals. There is a direct link between the pedals and wheel.

The only difference on our bikes is that there is a few shafts with some gears on them of various sizes to increase or decrease the output speed in comparison to the engine speed, and there is a clutch so that the gears can be changed and intermeshed and we can stop and keep the engine running.

Your bike could be making 5hp at 5000rpm and 5500hp at 6000rpm, but if it is going 6000rpm it is going 6000 rpm, and if it is going 5000rpm it is going 5000rpm. The power doesn't control the speed, it just controls how fast you can increase that speed.

That didn't directly answer your question I don't think, but I think it answered what you wanted to ask.

Hope that made sense.

Arkangel77

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad I could help you understand :rockon:

I was thinking - I read a post the other day. The guy said after he installed his slip on pipe that his Top speed went from 140something to 150something. Now using your explination about rpm verses speed, (because of the geering) How is it posible that his top speed changed from just doing an exaust swap? Red line is Red line right?

WHat do ya think?:confused:

Arkangel77

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
6000 rpm in 6th gear = 75 mph

9000 rpm in 6th gear = 105 mph :rockon:

Don't remember how much rpm 120 mph was though :D

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking - I read a post the other day. The guy said after he installed his slip on pipe that his Top speed went from 140something to 150something. Now using your explination about rpm verses speed, (because of the geering) How is it posible that his top speed changed from just doing an exaust swap? Red line is Red line right?

Arkangel77

The top speed of the bike is not related to redline. The bike only has so much power (horsepower at the wheels) to overcome the resistance of the wind (coeficient of drag). Adding power (power commander, exhaust, et cetera) will allow the bike to push more air out of the way, so to speak, and increase top speed. Granted there are other factors involved (air temp, air density, moisture content of the air, altitude) that can yield a higher speed (or a slower one) on the same bike on different days. This is why I always take top speed results with a grain of salt, same with dyno numbers. Unless you have the exact same fuel, barometric pressure, and the same atmospheric conditions, you can get drastically differnt results. Hope this helps!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Arkangel77

99% of the time your overall top speed isn't limited by your top gear redline. The FZ-6 will not redline in 6th gear, which would produce the greatest speed. Long before it gets there, the wind resistance is to great for the power the bike is making. So if you create more power, you can overcome more wind resistance.

For instance: (these numbers are made up for the example but the principle applies)

Lets say it takes the energy of 85hp to make a specific bike push through the wind at 140mph. And 95hp to make the same bike go 160mph.

Also the bike's gearing makes it so in 4th gear this bike at 11,000rpm can spin the tire at 140mph, and at 13,000rpm will spin it at 160mph.

Say at 140mph in 4th gear your bike is running 11,000rpm and at 11,000rpm at WOT your bike makes 85hp to the wheel. You will be at your maximum speed. Because your power vs. wind resistance(and other friction) will be at an equilibrium.

Now lets say at 140mph in 4th gear your bike is running 11,000rpm and at 11,000 rpm at WOT your bike now makes over 85hp because you upgraded the engine or whatever. It still takes the same amount of energy, that we decided before was 85hp, to push your bike through the air. So, you're going 140 and your bike has more available hp, you will be able to go faster than 140 now until the resistance vs. available power is at equilibrium.

So now your bike makes 95hp at 13,000rpm and with it's gearing 13,000rpm in 4th is 160mph. Now you can go 160mph.

Soooo,
The short and simple is that their bike wasn't redlining when they reached their max speed, they just ran out of power. They made more power and could go faster.

Hope all of that made sense.