What the heck is that grinding? (with resolution)

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So on a recent several-day trip to northern California (heavily loaded) I noticed a grinding sound on a lot of tight corners. I kept pulling over to see what was touching (because it's not the pegs), and couldn't figure it out. My best guess was the sidestand, so I had been focusing on that as a problem. It happened again this weekend while I was out 2-up with my wife, so I thought it may be a suspension issue causing it.

Well yesterday I was out riding (no cargo this time), and got the noise on left AND right-hand turns going up Mt. Hamilton. All the puzzlement.

TURNS OUT: it's the stupid belly pan touching down.

Into the bin you go, belly pan. I never liked you anyway. Something to keep an ear peeled for if you have one mounted.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is different. I have a factory chin fairing but I'm into my slash cut peg and grinding my boot sliders before my chin fairing touched. Is it unusually wide or low the the ground?

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure. Its some sort of British aftermarket deal. I kind of hated it anyway and was going to take it off after my big trip. It's possible it can be adjusted up a bit so it's not an issue.