What type of bags to get?

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey yall, so I've had my FZ6 for a few months now and I am wanting to get some weekend trips on the calendar (3-500 miles each way then spending a night or two at the destination). Nothing too crazy. Was wondering what people use for these types of trips? I would love to get away with just a top bag that does not look too bulky and throw a few sets of clothes and pair of shoes, but I am being told more and more to get saddle bags. Other then price I just don't like the look, but of course I would take functionality over looks if it comes down to.

So what is everyone using for shorter trips?

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I share your concern on the looks. I bought a pair of the Nelson Rigg saddlebags which aren't really big but I think look acceptable.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a good bit of hunting and settled on these SW-Motech bags:

Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ6-S2, '07-'11 - TwistedThrottle.com

Here's a positive review from Motorcyclist which has a lot to do with why I got them:

SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze Saddlebags | MC Tested - Motorcyclist Magazine

Basically what I found is that a lot of cheaper soft luggage didn't look like it would hold its shape well or stay in place well. So I found a nice, mid-priced set that has a little bit of easily installed mounting hardware to keep it in place, and the bags already hold their shape.

They hold a decent amount, but not more than a few sets of clothes and some boots. I fit my jacket, boots, pants, gloves, and a 40 oz of beer in them while expanded, and they were stuffed at that point.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
My Ogio tail bag rarely leaves the bike. But easily unclips from the straps, which secure to the grab bars, if you want to take it with you. Big enough for a pair of shoes and change of clothes or two. Matching tank and saddle bags are available if you want to expand later on.

The top sags a bit when empty, as in the attached pic, but the sides hold their shape.

OGIO Moto Sport Tail Bag :: MotorcycleGear.com

OGIO Duffle Tail Bag - RevZilla

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a good bit of hunting and settled on these SW-Motech bags:

Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ6-S2, '07-'11 - TwistedThrottle.com

Here's a positive review from Motorcyclist which has a lot to do with why I got them:

SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze Saddlebags | MC Tested - Motorcyclist Magazine

YES. YES. YES.

I bought a set of these when they came out. perfect for a weekend trip and one of the reps for Twisted Throttle is a member here. I pitched the idea of making an integral top bag that clips onto the saddlebags somehow, and he said he'd pitch the idea to the people that make them, so.......... hopefully....... i might have one of those soon:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

as a side note, i changed the smaller bolts to stainless, and used loctite. i lost one of the original bolts that i guess vibrated out. also they are perfectly steady past 125mph.........:D:D:D

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
YES. YES. YES.

I bought a set of these when they came out. perfect for a weekend trip and one of the reps for Twisted Throttle is a member here. I pitched the idea of making an integral top bag that clips onto the saddlebags somehow, and he said he'd pitch the idea to the people that make them, so.......... hopefully....... i might have one of those soon:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

as a side note, i changed the smaller bolts to stainless, and used loctite. i lost one of the original bolts that i guess vibrated out. also they are perfectly steady past 125mph.........:D:D:D

If they made an integral top bag that's the same quality as the sidebags, but I would be turbo sold. Good idea! :BLAA:

lkea

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a first silverstone tail bag from Motorcycle Luggage. Honestly its really big, but its quite acceptable for I carry a lot of things. You can even fit a full size helmet inside the bag.

Last edited by a moderator: