What type of spark plugs are these?

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just returned from a 1400 mile trip down to Florida for a week of vacation. On the journey home I rolled past the 26k major service interval. Before I left I took care of the oil & filter, coolant( which was super dark, like literally black,) and routine chain maintenance.

I bought the bike off craigslist back in February and regret not asking the previous seller if they ever touched the valves or when they last changed the spark plugs. (My first bike and first time buying my own vehicle.)

I bought the bike with 21k and it now sits with 27k miles, so I figured it's that time to change them based off the odometer and the uncertainty of when the plugs were changed last.

Here's my findings:
tNlEwhV.jpg

Gt0225w.jpg

I know from the manual and info found here on the forums that you only use ngk cr9ek or the iridium cross cr9eix in the fz's. Not sure what the 10 means, I'll take a guess and say something to do with heat range of the plug? Never have I seen this model of plug suggested for our engine.

Btw I installed the iridium ngks and the bike seems to run just as well as when the 10's were installed.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
The 9 and 10 refer to the temperature of the plug. A 10 is a colder plug than a 9.

Apparently the R6 takes some CR10.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the color it was happy with colder 10's!! But that really depends what's in your gas in your local area.

But overall, if its keeps the electrode and porcelain clean on a colder plug, I'd stay with the colder plug. There is no need to run a hotter plug if the current burn temperature is removing the deposits. Make sense?

As for the wear, its not the best picture but those center plugs have nearly doubled their gap from material being worn away.

Keep an Ear out for pinging, detonation, spark knock on take off. If this occurs, throw some CR10E's back in it. Single strap ground electrode.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
They arent in that bad of shape, I have for sure seen worse.

Scott: I thought the 9's were stock in all of our bikes until the FZ6R?

I pulled the 9's out when I did mine...and I highly doubt they had been changed before, they were very worn :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They arent in that bad of shape, I have for sure seen worse.

Scott: I thought the 9's were stock in all of our bikes until the FZ6R?

I pulled the 9's out when I did mine...and I highly doubt they had been changed before, they were very worn :D

Carlos and Yamahoe,

I was referring to the style, not the temp, I should have clarified that. (I took it that the OP wasn't familiar with the double ground strap plugs).

I didn't catch the the 10 temp, and thought they were original which, now, (of course), it probably did NOT come with so, NO, their NOT probably original (my boo)...

I was looking at the tips of the plugs, not the temp markings (obviously) on the plugs. Sorry for the confusion...

With the large (worn) gap of those old plugs, I'd think he'd feel a difference in performance. I didn't but I changed mine out around 8 or 10,000 miles (got it wrote down in the garage)

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I quite enjoyed the ride to work today, the bike seemed much smoother and quick down shifts followed up with a red line pull put a a grin on my face. I'm not going to claim iridium's are the best thing to ever happen to my bike, as I would guess that a new set of the stock copper ngks would probably produced the same results.

On that note, I'm not sure about the 10's coming stock in the bike though. The manual does not call for such a part number.

Thanks again guys!!

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the 9's should be stock, someone likely changed them out sometime ago.

Its the first time I've seen a 10 in an FZ here..

At least with the iridiums, you shouldn't EVER have to change them again, period..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. I quite enjoyed the ride to work today, the bike seemed much smoother and quick down shifts followed up with a red line pull put a a grin on my face. I'm not going to claim iridium's are the best thing to ever happen to my bike, as I would guess that a new set of the stock copper ngks would probably produced the same results.

On that note, I'm not sure about the 10's coming stock in the bike though. The manual does not call for such a part number.

IMG {{ }} /IMG

Thanks again guys!!

hi [MENTION=25260]imatt[/MENTION]
Please Remove Copy Written Material per forum Rules. Thank you!

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry!! It's taken care of now.
This was my first post, and like I actually read the fine print when signing up. Ha

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just so you all know - your issues could be MUCH Worse!!!

Not Mine Thank God!
20140623_210005_zpsc779c832.jpg

IT'S ALL INSIDE!!! :(
Conductor broken on 2 and electrode dropped from 3: :eek::eek:
20140625_180442_zps63919437.jpg

Point: Don't Ignore the warning signs. It can be (is in this case) a costly mistake! In this case to another member....