what USB socket have you all got, and where do you site yours?

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Was thinking to get one, wondered if I needed one with a switch or if a cigarette lighter built in was a good idea too for say air pumps. To be honest I think ill just have a simple wire with usb waterproof cap. question is where to put it where it doesn't look messy.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The USB port very likely will NOT carry the current for an air pump. Phone, GPS, sure...

For plugging in air pumps, use the "Powerlet", BMW style outlet. Waterproof, made for the bike. Also great for heated clothing, battery charger, etc. I prefer the left side and I mount and dis-mount on the left side..

My bikes outlet (attached to a plate behind the passenger foot peg):

Outlet tabs I make that simply clamp around the frame, the outlet goes into the bracket:

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI re:mounting a power outlet.... I have purchased 2 of the brackets that TownsendsFJR1300 makes (helmet lock on right side and power outlet on left side) and I highly recommend them. Easy to install and each one fit the accessory perfectly.

re: USB, I have 1 that drops into the cable guide on the top triple. The guide keeps the throttle cables contained, but there was enough room to drop in one like this https://www.amazon.com/MOTOPOWER-0609A-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Charger/dp/B01DYE54LI

I secured it with a wire tie above and below the guide, capturing the USB port and preventing it from pulling out. It is a little loose, but not a problem at all. Bike is in storage still, so no pics. I might be taking it out today and if so will post a pic.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with TownsendsFJR1300. I've rigged up a lighter type socket on my bike. I then use the typical plug in USB charger for my phone/GPS etc. I also have the option for other 12 vdc accessories.
An important note: If you go with just the USB type charger and it is wired direct to the battery it will drain current even when not used. If you go this route you should wire it to a circuit that is off when the key is turned off. Same with a lighter socket that is wired direct to the battery when you have a USB charger plugged in it will draw current. So unplug the USB charging unit when it is not being used if your lighter socket is wired direct to you battery source. :)

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 12v cigarette lighter outlet and a USB outlet on the right inner fairing panel. Hooked up via a relay, along with heated grips and a voltmeter on the same circuit.
(The inner fairing is for sale, $3000, comes with the rest of the bike!)
37948145514_bf5d04115a_c.jpg

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rydonair Universal Rocker Style 4.2A Dual USB Charger Socket with Blue LED Digital Voltmeter for rocker Switch Panel on Marine, Boat, Car, Golf Cart, UTV, ATV, etc

https://www.amazon.com/Rydonair-Universal-Charger-Digital-Voltmeter/dp/B076MSVQ9S/
$16

View attachment 68744

TAPA CIRCUIT, INSTANT FUSED POWER SOURCE:
Don't cut up your OEM harness for small accessories. Add this in place of an OEM fuse and power up your Gizmo's!!
Bussman BP/HHH-RP or from NAPA Auto as: 785135, TAPA-CIRCUIT ; Post 17 below for details.

FUSED SOLUTION to Switched Source

Drop this in rear pod in and you get a switched source.

Attachments

• IMG_20150206_192719_035.jpg
    IMG_20150206_192719_035.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 35

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
TAPA CIRCUIT, INSTANT FUSED POWER SOURCE:
Don't cut up your OEM harness for small accessories. Add this in place of an OEM fuse and power up your Gizmo's!!
Bussman BP/HHH-RP or from NAPA Auto as: 785135, TAPA-CIRCUIT ; Post 17 below for details.

FUSED SOLUTION to Switched Source

Drop this in rear pod in and you get a switched source.

How accurate would that be, from the battery, to a digital battery gauge on the dash?

.1, .2 volts drop from actual battery voltage?

I'd like a switched, EASY, ACCURATE, digital, voltage gauge recessed into the inner fairing..