What would you do with a nail in your rear?

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
Gosh dangit I'm bummed right now. After my pree-ride inspection. I see I have a nail in my rear tire. Dead center. I'm gonna ride it down the st. To Ramona Performance Cycles tonight. Should I replace, plug, patch, or plug and patch? I just got the dang tire.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
the title made me LOL.....must....not.....make......jokes... :BLAA:

not sure what advice to give you on whether to plug or patch though

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing happened to me the morning of my license test.
I'm not a tire guy but since bikes only have two I'd suggest you do what I did.....replace it.
It sucks.....big time.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
depends how old the tyre is, and on how you ride on the road I'd probably get it plugged.

I've recently had a puncture on mine, but it was more of a cut. I happened to have a spare nearly new tyre so I replaced it with that. Did notice a long nail in it elsewhere when it was remove which wasn't leaking, but can't have been helping.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the hole is smaller than 3/16 of an inch it can be patched i done correctly will not affect the structure of the tire.

Inward out patch using cement and a inner patch on top if the plug

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I wouldn't be able to sit down with a nail in my rear, ouch:BLAA:

Plug it, had a hole about 1/4" diameter in the rear tire on an 01 Concourse and had it plugged, lasted to the end of the tire life, another 5K miles.

I've even plugged a tire with the sticky sting style and had no worries, this was on a WeeStrom.

Jerry

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you decide to repair, plug AND patch is ideal. I went about 7000 miles on a plug in my last rear tire with no problems what-so-ever. 2000 of those miles were on a trip, too, with a lot of higher speed interstate riding.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on how old the tires is. I just had a nail in my rear tires but I had about 8000 miles on the tire and didn't really like it in the first place so I replaced it..

If it's a new tire I would get a plug/patch however the shop recommends to do it.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had this a couple of times and always used an internal mushroom plug, it looks like a giant rubber thumb tack that they insert in the hole from the inside. Perfectly safe. The only time I couldn't was when I hit a piece of metal on the highway and it cut a V shaped slot in my less than a week old tyre. I just made it (slowly!) to the bike shop and had to shell out for a new tyre.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
the title made me LOL.....must....not.....make......jokes... :BLAA:

not sure what advice to give you on whether to plug or patch though

Never plug/patch a motorcycle tire. it should only be done to get you to a place where you can get a new tire. too much rides on a motorcycle tire. dont be stupid or stingy on this one, get new rubber.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Patch and plug is fine. Make sure they actually do both. It requires removing the tire from the rim and inspecting the inside. If they don't do that, walk away. I'm sure they will though.

The only caveat is that the tire is no longer "speed rated". So it's not rated to go over 120mph any more. Which isn't a huge deal, but if you're going to be canyon carving and heating the tire up, you'll want to replace it for safety reasons. If you're just commuting, well it'll be fine.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
being a brand new tire, I'd combo plug/patch the tire.

The inside of the tire just needs to be smoothed out and the "Steelman plug/patch " glued and installed.

Being dead center, I wouldn't worry about it as long as it was installed correctly.

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I plugged mine when when I picked up a screw about 5000 miles in on a rear. Another 2000 later, I got a roofing nail, so I decided 2 holes was pushing it and got a new tire.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the title would amuse everyone. I've decided since the nail is so small that I'm going to get it plugged, and patched if possible. I've seen how a couple of the guys who replied ride, (much harder then I) though they make it look easy. I am conserned about the speed rating. So no 100 miles per hour till I get new tire. Thank you all for helping me make this choice.