What you've been waiting for!!

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
MSRP is $7999. 115bhp @ 65ft/lbs. Suspension is preload and rebound front and rear. This will likely be my next bike.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow.. its on yamaha USA site.. means we are getting it.. but why can they offer a faired version???

and coupled with the fact it costs about 1k more than an fz8.. I almost wonder why the hell they ever even offered the FZ8 if they knew they were going to make this bike..

edit: ughh.. i just looked at the fuel capacity... 3.7 gallons.. i wonder what they expect this to get for MPG.. any idea's??

edit #2: has any one looked at the price of this years FZ6R.. $100 less then next years FZ-09!!! how they price these bikes i will never understand...

Last edited:

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
wow.. its on yamaha USA site.. means we are getting it.. but why can they offer a faired version???

and coupled with the fact it costs about 1k more than an fz8.. I almost wonder why the hell they ever even offered the FZ8 if they knew they were going to make this bike..

edit: ughh.. i just looked at the fuel capacity... 3.7 gallons.. i wonder what they expect this to get for MPG.. any idea's??

It's MSRP is about $1k LESS than the FZ8.

That is my biggest concern.. 3.7??? Almost a gallon less than the 8. :rolleyes: Say 35-40 mpg? Fuel light probably comes on around 3 gallons.. so you will have a safe range of around 105-120 miles?

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm basically with most of you guys. I'll miss the centerstand. I don't care for digital tachs. I'm nervous about only 3.7 gallons fuel capacity, compared to our bike's 5.0 gallon.

Still though, at $7990, compared to just about $10,000 (which I thought was a bargain) for the Street Triple R, and a ludicrous near $14,000 for a Streetfigher 848 (hey, gotta pay for that Italian name), I'm SUPER excited about this bike. I'll just have to investigate/satisfy my concerns about fuel capacity.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it has 3 different fuel maps to choose from. It might get pretty good in economy mode, who knows. I never really use even half the FZ6 tank capacity so I'm not worried about it personally.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it has 3 different fuel maps to choose from. It might get pretty good in economy mode, who knows. I never really use even half the FZ6 tank capacity so I'm not worried about it personally.

The 3 fuel maps really has me curious. With the right fuel mapping and riding easy on an 850 there is no reason it can't get 60 mpg in economy mode which would safely get you 190-200 miles before refilling if the fuel sump is designed right. That is about what I get on my FZ6 between fill ups at 45-48 mpg.

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, I am torn. On one hand, there's a lot of stuff I LOVE about this!

1. 850cc engine
  2. Inline 3 cyl engine
  3. Price tag
  4. Aesthetically pleasing (for the most part)

But the lack of center stand, smaller tank, and gaudy blue wheels do make me want to steer clear of that one!

All in all, I think it's a great move for Yamaha. It's tapping into a space that right now only the british and italians occupy (mid-weight nakeds). Bringing back the FZ name into another model doesn't hurt either ;)

My hope is that it's just a plain torque monster! Because for $8k brand new? Sheesh, you're getting a lot of bang for the buck!

Go Yamaha!

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This, I will own one of these. I have been lusting over a Street Triple for awhile now, but the price was just too steep for me. I love the 3 cylinder engines.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes. Hopefully that was just bad audio! Sounds exactly like my stock FZ6 exhaust. :(

I would think any high revving inline would sound pretty similar out of a restrictive stock muffler. With a good aftermarket muffler things change.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I don't stop by for a while and when I do, I see this!

I used to think my FZ6 was all I'd ever need, but this FZ-09 might make me change my mind. But it will depend on a few things:
1. a half-faired version will have to be available.
2. fitment racks for side cases and top case will have to be available.
3. economy mode will have to yield at least 50 mpg (the way I ride at least, which is pretty tame).
4. I'd like a bigger tank, but that’s not crucial if no. 3 is achieved.

The above will probably not all come true for the 2014 model, so I'll probably be keeping my FZ6 for a while. But who knows, maybe by 2015 or 2016.

best regards to all,
Jeff

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
i like the heck out of it.

Definitely like:

How naked it is
triple
weight
yamaha

One of the reasons I was hesitant about moving to a triumph was their smaller service intervals, and the fact that the FZ6 is seriously bulletproof. I'm hoping the FZ-09 continues the bulletproof trend... If so, it could be in my future. :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this Yamaha's first attempt at a triple?

That is the only thing I'd be wary of. Rarely does a manufacturer have all the bugs worked out of a brand new platform and engine on the first try.

jspansel

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this Yamaha's first attempt at a triple?

That is the only thing I'd be wary of. Rarely does a manufacturer have all the bugs worked out of a brand new platform and engine on the first try.

They actually had a triple back in the late 70's, early 80's. XS750/850.

new_triple1.jpg