Wheeling Question

rodman

Reaction score
Visit site
when wheeling you guys recommend using the back brake? Someone once told me it's not a good idea. That's how people crash. I'm just asking peoples opinions. i've never tried it. I just got my fz6 and my first wheelie was not on purpose and SCARED THE SH** OUT OF ME (it comes up pretty easy), as i'm used to riding a 91 Katana. Big upgrade!!!:BLAA:

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
when wheeling you guys recommend using the back brake? Someone once told me it's not a good idea. That's how people crash. I'm just asking peoples opinions. i've never tried it. I just got my fz6 and my first wheelie was not on purpose and SCARED THE SH** OUT OF ME (it comes up pretty easy), as i'm used to riding a 91 Katana. Big upgrade!!!:BLAA:

If you aren't slamming on the back brake you'll be golden. It's all about having the right touch.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site

I personally do not use the rear brake, I just use the throttle to control it, but then again I'm not clutching it up either I'm powering it up

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Cover the rear brake as an emergency device to get the front down but you should be learning gradually to bring the front up and not need the rear brake. Again! Be safe!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd just like to say that thanks to my front tire on my fz taking a hike about a week or so ago I've been riding my KLR everyday instead. Riding it everyday I've been playing around a bit learning how to clutch it up since it doesn't have nearly enough power to wheelie. Well I won't say that I have perfected clutching it up but I have gotten pretty damn good at it!!! And last night I put my new front on my fz and rode it into work today. First chance I saw that I had a "safe zone" to try I went for it and she came right up!!! So now after many failed attempts at clutching up the fz I finally know how to do a clutch wheelie on it!!! Thanks to about 7-10 day straight on the KLR, thanks to a flat tire in the FZ, thanks to road debris, thanks to me taking a different route home, thanks to my mom for going on vacation and making me stay at her house to watch the dogs, and most importantly thanks to gas prices making me choose to ride instead of drive!!!

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I have power wheelied on inclines and done some very small crappy clutch ups but I always pussy out. The bike is heavy and it will take some good throttle cltuch control to wheelie smoothly. I plan on mpracticing on. A dirt bike to get the clutch up maneuver down before trying to piush the fz.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
<--- My oldest son, 17, does it all the time. Clutch wheelie. It's just going to take practice. Since the FZ6 doesn't have the low end torque, it's not as willing to rise as your WR. A lot heavier (balance point) and wider rear (left/right balance) all make for a completely different experience. ALWAYS cover the rear brake.

Practice in a parking lot. Be willing to accept the damage when you drop it.

Have fun, be safe.

Last edited:

rodman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. I can power it up no problem but i need to work on clutching it... It wasn't as scary on a sport bike because i was leaning so far forward to begin with. Now i just need some frame sliders! haaa (but seriously)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do I dare say some squid like activities occurred today?! :spank:

I'm out in the back roads and following a little yoder pick-up truck doing 25 in the 40. This went on for 10 min and then he pulls off. I was in 1st, had just chopped the throttle and saw that speed, gear, RPM were all golden for a wheelie. I twisted it - a nice smooth transition brought the nose up so i applied more twist!! Overall I'm going to say at least two dozen bike links or more and sat it down. It sounded like an air plane tire touching down as it screeched on contact! Not that I haven't tried before because I have, but nothing ever rolled out so long and so smooth as this did. Nice straight, easy, no scrambling of any kind. Touch down was clean and sweet.
One big difference between this and others I've done - riding on reserve! About 26 miles on F-trip. The new forks handled it nicely as there was no wiggle or anything but a good long chirp as the tire made contact. As I've mentioned before, going up hills gravity makes it easier the steeper it is so I play there from time to time.
It was fun and good to know the FZ could do it!

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Do I dare say some squid like activities occurred today?! :spank:

I'm out in the back roads and following a little yoder pick-up truck doing 25 in the 40. This went on for 10 min and then he pulls off. I was in 1st, had just chopped the throttle and saw that speed, gear, RPM were all golden for a wheelie. I twisted it - a nice smooth transition brought the nose up so i applied more twist!! Overall I'm going to say at least two dozen bike links or more and sat it down. It sounded like an air plane tire touching down as it screeched on contact! Not that I haven't tried before because I have, but nothing ever rolled out so long and so smooth as this did. Nice straight, easy, no scrambling of any kind. Touch down was clean and sweet.
One big difference between this and others I've done - riding on reserve! About 26 miles on F-trip. The new forks handled it nicely as there was no wiggle or anything but a good long chirp as the tire made contact. As I've mentioned before, going up hills gravity makes it easier the steeper it is so I play there from time to time.
It was fun and good to know the FZ could do it!

I'm gonna have to listen for that next time, ive always wanted to hear it but I've felt the front grab from my bars not being straight but never herd a chirp, maybe because of my exhaust or it could be my tires. I've noticed some tires on cars don't make that screeching noise as much as others, like say when doing a burnout, while some will make your ears bleed, so I'm sure it could be the same on moto tires. I can't remember if you have a exhaust on your bike or not? I know I've lost some bottom end on mine so I have to go on up to about 30-35 because at 20-25 it will just barely lift the tire but no more. Makes me wish I had some more grunt sometimes, but it will scream up top. Anyways now that you got the just of it I you wanted to keep going at it, just wait till you find that sweet spot on your bike and it totes it all the way to redline WOT and naturally sets it down nice and smooth....

MMMMMM PURE BLISSS ON WHEELS!!!!!