When your job makes you proud!!!

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey congradulations on your achievement.
Yes, my work makes me proud and I actually donate part of my time to helping reduce the amount of deaths of indigenous people in custody over here.

2004 Palm Island death in custody - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems in Aussie, if you are drunk, black and end up in a cell, your chances of good treatment are nill.

Cheers,
Rumpole

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll bet that did feel great. Congrats.

If they ever get the 787 flying I might be able to work on it. Supposedly they're close.

I work for Continental Airlines as an aircraft mechanic. I really get a good feeling when something serious is wrong with an aircraft and I fix it. It's nice to watch that thing lift off knowing that I had something to do with making it airworthy.

Thanks! Did you see the Dreamliner fly on Tuesday morning? They did it!!! Everybody was watching it live on the internet from work here :rockon:

Videos all over google...

And yes, when we saw the A400M take off I literally had chills... it's such a massive project to get an Aircraft to fly and so many ppl were involved (thousands, if not tens of thousands of ppl participated in one way or another) that it was quite emotional... I can imagine the feeling is the same when you actually fixed something that allowed the plane to fly again :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice one people,

I was part of a team that resuscitated a staff members 10 month old girl yesterday. She is doing well.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn! awesome Nelly! Can you share more of the story?

You're not a Doc are you?
No Dave I am not a Doc, I am a ED nurse / resuscitating instructor and have to work for a living lol.

From a professional stand point I can't embellish any more details.
Nelly

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome Nelly. I work in a hospital too. I'm a respiratory therapist, and I can agree with Wavex that being fulfilled with work make all the difference in quality of life.

I'm a little jealous of Wavex, though. I'd love to be a mechanical engineering type of job. I'd be CNCing and fabricating bike parts like a mad man.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome Nelly. I work in a hospital too. I'm a respiratory therapist, and I can agree with Wavex that being fulfilled with work make all the difference in quality of life.

I'm a little jealous of Wavex, though. I'd love to be a mechanical engineering type of job. I'd be CNCing and fabricating bike parts like a mad man.
Me to, I wonder if Dave has actually got to fly in the thing?

Nelly

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site

I've asked the guys in our machine shop for some help a couple of times (headlight bracket FTW lol), but it did not feel right... I'd love to have full unrestricted access to that shop though! :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thing that makes me proud of my job:

Today we had a very poor guy come in with a chest infection. He had holes in is shoes ( no socks) tapped up with gaffer tape.
DR Zak, asked the man his shoe size, and gave him his own shoes. What a selfless act. What an inspirational gesture.

Nelly:thumbup:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Me to, I wonder if Dave has actually got to fly in the thing?

Nelly

Nope... the A400M flew once so far and it was last week :)

I did get to see and get on the 1st A380 being assembled in Toulouse France though last year... that was the most impressive thing I have ever seen.

One of the wire harness in the exposed fuselage was 6 feet wide... they have thousands of miles of wires in that Aircraft and when you see it "naked" on the assembly line it's pretty crazy.

I got to see their flight simulator too... the thing sits on top of hydraulic pistons and is the size of a big house that can be rolled around...

1st rollout (the thing can carry up to 800+ passengers in the "all coach" configuration...)

4196210928_2a304cec91_o.jpg

4196210930_3e0ebf0114_o.jpg

and these are the parts we sell to Airbus for that particular Aircraft (I was the project manager for the entire development and certification of these very complicated fuel pump controllers) :)

4196210932_f9f0a5b6ed_o.jpg

Last edited:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I've asked the guys in our machine shop for some help a couple of times (headlight bracket FTW lol), but it did not feel right...

As long as you pay for your own materials (or use scrap materials), follow all safety protocols, and keep in on the down-low, you could look at it as a fringe benefit. ;)

I get what you're saying though--yours is a selfless way to look at it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is mental David,
What a machine. Most of us have jobs that touch one to a few hundred peoples lives. How many buts are gone sit in that thing?

Nelly

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly,

What kind of facility do you work in? Some, or I should say MOST ER nurses get rung out at work on a regular basis--especially big teaching hospitals...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly,

What kind of facility do you work in? Some, or I should say MOST ER nurses get rung out at work on a regular basis--especially big teaching hospitals...
I work in a medium sized district general hospital (not a teaching facility). I don't know what the term " rung out means"?

Nelly

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I work in a medium sized district general hospital (not a teaching facility). I don't know what the term " rung out means"?

Nelly

Hahahahaha It must be a West Virginia thing. "Rung out" as in totally drained...on your feet for 12 hours with no lunch.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
That is mental David,
What a machine. Most of us have jobs that touch one to a few hundred peoples lives. How many buts are gone sit in that thing?

Nelly

It depends on the configuration... Each airline can customize their plane the way they want... a third world airliner can fit 850 coach seats in the plane... but for more occidental airliners the more "standard" configuration can carry around 500ppl (in 3 different classes).

Airbus_A380_cross_section.svg

business class in the Emirates' plane:
200807-emirates-a380-business-Class-2.jpg

c*ckpit:

0,1020,426823,00.jpg

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahahahaha It must be a West Virginia thing. "Rung out" as in totally drained...on your feet for 12 hours with no lunch.
Oh yeah that happens, we call it " On your chin strap" as in its only the helmet strap keeping you up lol.
Actually we are very good at ensuring rest periods are taken.

Nelly