Where do you position your boots on the pegs?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I've been noticing in most of the riding pictures in the magazines, the riders seem to rest their feet on the pegs right about on the ball of their foot, obviously sliding the foot forward to operate the clutch/brake.
I've been riding with the peg nestled up against the front of my heel, which keeps the foot more stable on the peg. I've been riding with my foot pointed out, with the inside of the boot usually resting against the outside of the clutch/brake pedal; then rotate the foot up/down and in when I needed to shift or brake.
Is that incorrect technique? Keeping my heel against the peg seems more "secure", but I'm willing to learn to change if there's a benefit.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It does not really matter unless you're leaning the bike a lot...

I guess on the street you'd want comfort and to keep the rear covered for safety reasons (up for debate). On the track, foot position becomes very important for many reasons that are not relevant here.
________
Laguna Beach Resort Jomtien Condo

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm another ball of the foot. I have no track experience and only about 4k total riding but find that it makes it easier to maneouver the bike that way - feels like the bike is more an extension of me than something I sit on.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I've been noticing in most of the riding pictures in the magazines, the riders seem to rest their feet on the pegs right about on the ball of their foot, obviously sliding the foot forward to operate the clutch/brake.
I've been riding with the peg nestled up against the front of my heel, which keeps the foot more stable on the peg. I've been riding with my foot pointed out, with the inside of the boot usually resting against the outside of the clutch/brake pedal; then rotate the foot up/down and in when I needed to shift or brake.
Is that incorrect technique? Keeping my heel against the peg seems more "secure", but I'm willing to learn to change if there's a benefit.

Your gonna wanna slide your foot back some. The toes of my boots are scuffed from the rubbing the road and I ride with the balls of my feet!:D:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^ You're gonna break a toe, man! I hope you're talking about your right foot only because the sidestand (hard part!) drags before your toes on the left.

Sounds like you're pushing it hard enough to require some major body position adjustments, that is, I hope you're not draggin knee AND toe on the street.

I used to drag my right foot waaaaay too much at the track until I installed clipons and seriously improved my body positioning. I have not dragged a toe since, although my lap times have come down.
________
The Legend Condo Cosy Beach

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I ride on the ball of my feet also. I think it offers more control. not to mention if you ride over a dip or train tracks you can slightly raise in your seat using both your calf and thigh muscles rather then if your on your arches or heels you can only use your thighs.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
defy ....I know you are young ....BUT ....just so ya know you do not fit into the stereotypical CPA role

as a Financial Planner for over 20 years ...I have met many. Not one drags their toes ....well except on preparing taxes..

...."ahem.... I think we may need to file an extension" ;)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah....why live one life when you can live two? Not to mention, computers take care of most of the boring stuff these days. Work hard, play harder!

not to mention if you ride over a dip or train tracks you can slightly raise in your seat using both your calf and thigh muscles rather then if your on your arches or heels you can only use your thighs.

Great point!
________
Web Shows

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Balls of the feet.
More able to move. Lee Parks discusses it in Total Control if I recall correctly.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your gonna wanna slide your foot back some. The toes of my boots are scuffed from the rubbing the road and I ride with the balls of my feet!:D:thumbup:
I don't know how close my feet get to the pavement, but I wear size 13's and have to admit I lift my toes up when I'm in a sharp turn!

Thanks for the replies folks, guess I have another technique to try to remember! :thumbup: