Where to get a comfortable seat?

johnsonbrentw

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure this has been posted many times, but I'm new to this site and I just bought my bike about a month ago and I really need a more comfortable seat. I like to ride my bike to work on nice days which is 50 miles one way or so. It takes me an hour each way and by the time I get either to work or home, my butt is absolutely killing me. I'm trying not to spend $450 on a freakin seat. That is just rediculous. I saw some postings on how to make your own and I may try to do this, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a cheap comfortable seat? I'd even go for a used one, IDC. Thanks!

My bike:
2007 Yamaha FZ6
Blue
All stock
Purchased in April with 1,200 miles on it.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Search for "shaved seat" "Spencer seat" and then look at the offerings from Top Sellerie, Corbin and the like. Which one makes sense would probably depend on your issue or issues with the seat. I have the stock seat and my only complaint is that a lot of stop-and-go seems to be tough with getting my legs all the way to the ground repeatedly. Long rides without lots of stoplights are fine. So I may try the shaved seat, or a variation on it. I'm 5', 8", 175 lbs and a bit short-legged, so that's the seat issue I'd expect from a guy my size and build.

johnsonbrentw

Reaction score
Visit site
I, on the other hand don't mind the stop and go part of it because it gives me a chance to reposition my butt on the uncomfortable seat. I don't like the long non-stop trips because my butt gets very numb and starts aching me not long after I begin riding. I just want a seat that has a lot of padding. By the time my ride is over, now, it feels like I was sitting on a piece of wood the whole time.:(

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike pretty much covered all the options, the only hint that I can think of to add to that list is yamaha's comfort seat.

Drew Terry

Reaction score
Visit site
I went thru the same process a couple months ago, my seat would be killing me after an hour, right in the middle it feels like there is a hump. I sent my seat to Spencer and for $90 + $50 shipping both ways I have what feels like a totally different seat. Turnaround time was almost 2 weeks (4 days each way between FL and VT). Get the gel, have it shaved down, he will take the hump feeling out.

I have not ridden more than a couple hours at a time yet, so I can't say its a "ride all day" seat but I am more than happy. At the time I sent it away, it was still raining almost every day here so I didn't really lose any riding time. It would be much tougher to sacrifice two weeks downtime now.

On the other hand, if you can afford it and don't want any downtime sending out the stock seat, from what I've read you can't go wrong with a Corbin or T/S. I would stay away from the Yahama Comfort Seat.

Search this forum or ebay for Corbin or Top Sellerie, they are periodically for sale. You might also try to buy a stock seat cheap to send out while you keep riding.

Bottom line: anything is better than the stock seat.

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
is there a thread somewhere on gel or foam to use?

I tried looking for the honeycomb foam (supracor) spencer uses but not sure where to buy it. (spencer won't deal with canada.., not surprissed UPS/fedex create a lot of issues)

I got the yamaha comfort seat brand new and I'm pretty unimpressed.
I would not recommend.
the 'gel' feels like a solid slab and while the stock seat seems sculpted with nice rigid lines where your legs go this seat just seems puffy and bulgy. waste of $200 so far. but with the right foam or gel it could be salvaged.

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the Pro-pad from here: ADVANCED Custom Design ::: Motorcycle Seats and Saddlebags ::: Harley Davidson ::: Exotic Skins, Alligator, Crocodile, Calf-Skin, Leather, Ostrich, Python, Stingray, Custom Made Motorcycle Seats

Not affiliated; they're just right around the corner from my house.

Dropped-off the seat, later that day it was done for a 2200-mile trip.

And I am very, very happy. :)

FYI - Website sound might be a bit annoying for some. Just a warning.

This might be better: ADVANCED Custom Design ::: Motorcycle Seats and Saddlebags ::: Exotic Skins ::: Alligator, Crocodile, Calf-Skin, Leather, Ostrich, Python, Stingray :::

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the gel from a horses numnah's (look it up) that's designed to cushion it's spine. Very soft and comfy. Very cheap too on Ebay etc. I actually doubled mine over. I've got a second and this summer I'm probably going to remove all the foam from the front part of the seat and replace with gel.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Before going down the line of seat modification/replacement I would recommend that you consider your seating position.

A lot of people tend to sit right at the front of the seat which very uncomfortable as this part of the seat is quite narrow, concentrating your weight on a small area.

However if you sit about 3-4 inches back from the tank you should be more comfortable as the seat is much wider providing better support across a wider area of your backside. :thumbup:

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Before going down the line of seat modification/replacement I would recommend that you consider your seating position.

A lot of people tend to sit right at the front of the seat which very uncomfortable as this part of the seat is quite narrow, concentrating your weight on a small area.

However if you sit about 3-4 inches back from the tank you should be more comfortable as the seat is much wider providing better support across a wider area of your backside. :thumbup:

Hope this helps,

Yamahaboyz

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

This is also very true, but the seat slopes forward and there is no lip at the front so sometimes you might find yourself sliding to the front anyway. also when you sit farther back, it creates a more slunk over riding position, which on longer rides will tire you shoulders, wrists, and back.

As for me, i just bought a used stock seat that i plan on sending to Spencer for the Full Monte (ie. Supracore front & back)

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to do some sort of seat mod as some point. First, though, I'm going to get handlebar risers. My butt is comfy enough far back in the saddle, but it's slightly too long for my arms. I'm going to see how a bit more pullback helps.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Spencer mod gets my vote - I got it done last season and never looked back. I can ride for hours - no problem.

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
spencer doesn't do canada so I know for me atleast that's a no no (hijack!). can't find anyone that sells supracor either unfortunately.

what's this horse gel?

I was thinking of tearing down the seat a bit like on the diyseats website but if I'm going to go to all that effort I want the gel or foam to be right the first time. the supracor sounded good due to it breathing, not sure what the runner up is.

twalter

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a used Corbin (1 year) with passenger back rest and two luggage brackets that fit in the back rest socket. Don't have the bike now and would sell the seat if you are interested send me an email [email protected]

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From my experience, the best way to find comfort on the FZ6 seat is McDonald's.

As 12hr shift-worker, who lives an hour away from work, I am a MickeyDs tragic.

As such, I have a fat arse.

So, sitting on my bike an hour each way, going to and from work is no worries!

It's SUPER-COMFORTABLE!

Cheers,
Rick

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure this has been posted many times, but I'm new to this site and I just bought my bike about a month ago and I really need a more comfortable seat. ...but does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a cheap comfortable seat? I'd even go for a used one, IDC. Thanks!

My bike:
2007 Yamaha FZ6
Blue
All stock
Purchased in April with 1,200 miles on it.

I'm pretty much on board with you. Got my 6 about the same time, same bike with 3800 miles, only had a couple of rides +/- 1 to 2 hours, and the stock seat feels like I'm riding a 2X6 board. I did a DIY mod to my ZR-7 years ago and it worked out fine:thumbup:. See Kawasaki ZR-7 - Seat Reshaping. It used some camping foam from REI. Plan to try the same after the season this winter (Nov/Dec).