Where to mount power outlet

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I sprang for some heated gloves this winter and I will be looking to wire everything up this off-season. I want to avoid as much trial and error (especially the error), so I'd like to hear some ideas on where to mount a power outlet on the bike that will not interfere with my riding.

I have an 05, and was thinking of mounting a powerlet connector (I'll need to use a powerlet to coax adapter), but I am open to suggestions. I do want it mounted, not hanging loose.

Where did you mount yours?

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't want to drill a hole in the fairings so I placed it on top of the metal thing where the cables are.
Sorry, the pic came out up side down hm....

Attachments

• 20160209_223910[1].jpg
    20160209_223910[1].jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a USB charger that fits perfectly there, so that spot is taken. What I am MOST interested in is the convenience of the location specifically for connecting heated gear. So for example, your spot moves with the bars, but my heated gear connections will come out the bottom of my jacket. So in that spot, the wire will need to lay on the top or side of the tank, and will need lots of slack to accommodate the jack moving.

Do you plug heated gear into yours and if so does the connection and wire interfere with riding?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a heated gear, but I do plug different wires like charging a phone in my pocket, or a helmet cam if the battery runs out in it. So if the wire is fairly long, there is no problem with steeting. I really don't see a perfect spot on this bike without drilling. But for the heated gear, do you need a real outlet, or just have a wire from under the seat?

linus

Reaction score
Visit site
What sort of heated gear? I have Firstgear gloves, jacket liner. The heat controller is mounted to the gas tank on the left hand side with double sided tape and the connected directly to the battery. The gloves connect to the jacket liner and the cable from the liner hangs off the left hand side which connects to the heat controller on the tank. All good. I dont have an issue with slack from the cables and the liner disconnects automatically from the controller as I get off the bike to walk away. I do however have a tank bag and tuck the cables to the left side of the bag for neatness.

I too am contemplating a good location for the usb charger too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine mounted on the left side only because I mount and dismount on the left side always.

Its easy to reach down and plug into the outlet, If you forget, it pops out without damaging anything... Here's my Powerlet but it's bolted behind the pillion pegs.:

You could do either side with a clamp on bracket (around the sub-frame) BUT instead of a lock mounted, an opening for the outlet, A combination of the below; A bracket that clamps around the LS frame for a lock assembly with a tab that sticks down with an outlet tab.

An FJR LS bracket with lock and outlet. Make it just to fit around the sub-frame (either side) but W/O the lock.

View attachment 66040

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tom,

I PM'ed you but here's what I made up at your request:

Came out really nice, just needs paint(silver or Satin black). The outlet hole is .73" as requested.

Clear helicopter tape around the frame, like the helmet lock bracket. Lots of room behind for wiring. (please ignore my outlet adjacent to it). Like the lock bracket, it simply clamps around the sub-frame.. The outlet shown is a Powerlet BMW style.

Holler back at me.. Scott

Some pic's:

Last edited: