Which coolant ?

Va.Rider

Home in the Old Dominion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Time for coolant/anti-freeze change. Need your input yet again. Sooooo, who's do you like in my '09 Fz ???? Don't want to start a war but , as usual, I'd appreciate any & all comments. I'm not a performance rider but Summer gets hot in Richmond, Va. Not like Texas or the surface of the Sun, but hot & since this'll be my first change out since it came off the showroom floor, I'd be willing to "up" the quality a bit. Please let me know what you think
THANX !! Blah

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Honda pre-mix blue coolant. I read somewhere it is preferable to the green coolant. I don't remember why. sorry wish I could help more.

You should probably consider doing a flush before putting new coolant in.
Also keep the mixture at 50-60% coolant / distilled water. (if you are mixing it yourself)

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Prestone, Zerex, Peak, you name it...any of the standard aluminum-compatible ethylene glycol formulations work fine.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I used Motul Motorcycle coolant works good but they all probably do. I do like using motorcycle specific coolants that are premixed. And many contain wetting agents that in theory run cooler.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another option that I will be using in the next few months. It's about time coolant is changing to keep up with other changes in technology. Also this stuff is not fatal to animals and humans should it be ingested.
Much much higher boiling point. This means no pressure on your cooling system.
No water, it doesn't freeze. No corrosion. It's lifetime of the engine coolant. You never have to replace the fluid! That means it does not degrade or lose it's properties. And Jay Leno uses it! :)

Some typical data on properties: Boils at 375F@0psiFreezes -79F

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PykrgzWPQ]Jay Leno's Garage: Waterless Engine Coolant - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

HiGGz

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another option that I will be using in the next few months. It's about time coolant is changing to keep up with other changes in technology. Also this stuff is not fatal to animals and humans should it be ingested.
Much much higher boiling point. This means no pressure on your cooling system.
No water, it doesn't freeze. No corrosion. It's lifetime of the engine coolant. You never have to replace the fluid! That means it does not degrade or lose it's properties. And Jay Leno uses it! :)

Some typical data on properties: Boils at 375F@0psiFreezes -79F

Jay Leno's Garage: Waterless Engine Coolant - YouTube

Main issue, to me, if u have any problem/leak u can't add water... pretty annoying if u are unlucky on a road trip.
They don't recommend more than 3% of water in a cooling sys filled with their coolant.

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually just changed my coolant today. I used Honda's HP Coolant. Won't have a chance to test it out until it gets warmer. But I'm sure the quality will suffice.

Not to change the subject, but for those with a 2007 or similar year FZ6, how much coolant were you able to use on a full change/flush. The manual I found online for my bike said it should hold 2.11 quarts with a 0.26 quarts reservoir. Including filling the reservoir to roughly half way, I wasn't even able to fully use 2 quarts.

Anyone else have this where their system wouldn't hold the 2.36 quarts quantity?

HiGGz

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually just changed my coolant today. I used Honda's HP Coolant. Won't have a chance to test it out until it gets warmer. But I'm sure the quality will suffice.

Not to change the subject, but for those with a 2007 or similar year FZ6, how much coolant were you able to use on a full change/flush. The manual I found online for my bike said it should hold 2.11 quarts with a 0.26 quarts reservoir. Including filling the reservoir to roughly half way, I wasn't even able to fully use 2 quarts.

Anyone else have this where their system wouldn't hold the 2.36 quarts quantity?

Did u really flush the entire cooling sys (including the hoses)? if not... that's why.
U also need to run ur engine over 100°c to open the thermorstat and let the coolant running through the whole radiator... then u'll need to refill the reservoir. (same for air bleeding... u'll have to refill a bit in a few days)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Main issue, to me, if u have any problem/leak u can't add water... pretty annoying if u are unlucky on a road trip.
They don't recommend more than 3% of water in a cooling sys filled with their coolant.

You can always add water/ antifreeze. It just wont be 375 deg. F boiling point. It will be whatever the boiling point of the water/ antifreeze is at present. So if you did have a problem you're no worse off at all because your coolant is the Evans. Then when you get home you can drain and refill with the Evans coolant which again is a lifetime engine coolant. It does not break down and turn sludgey like antifreeze/water coolant. Its also non corrosive so I wouldn't think twice about using this product. I do a lot of trips through mountains and into the desert all year round. My bike can go through large temperature variations in a very short period of time so I'm going to flush and fill with the Evans.

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

Va.Rider

Home in the Old Dominion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Much thanx to all . . the Evans coolant sounds very interesting. "Engine lifetime" is very appealing. :D

13nick31

Reaction score
Visit site
Did u really flush the entire cooling sys (including the hoses)? if not... that's why.
U also need to run ur engine over 100°c to open the thermorstat and let the coolant running through the whole radiator... then u'll need to refill the reservoir. (same for air bleeding... u'll have to refill a bit in a few days)

I drained out all the original coolant by removing the coolant drain bolt. Once that was barely dripping I poured distilled water into the radiator several times until it would come out mostly water with no green mixed in it.

I then filled the radiator with distilled water, closed everything up and ran it again for a just a couple minutes. I then removed the drain bolt and drained that water and poured the rest of the distilled water I had into the radiator to flush it out once more. After that I even tipped the bike on an angle to remove anymore water out of the system.

Next I reinstalled the drain bolt and started pouring in the coolant into the radiator. I filled the reservoir to the correct amount and filled the radiator full, but I probably only was able to put in a total of 1.8-1.9 quarts (out of the total 2.36 like the manual I found online states). I then closed the caps and ran in for probably only 1 or 2 minutes to see if it would run in the system and give me some more space to fill more coolant. It was still full once I removed the radiator cap again.

Do you just think I need to run my engine for a longer period of time for it to really work through the system?

HiGGz

Reaction score
Visit site
I drained out all the original coolant by removing the coolant drain bolt. Once that was barely dripping I poured distilled water into the radiator several times until it would come out mostly water with no green mixed in it.

I then filled the radiator with distilled water, closed everything up and ran it again for a just a couple minutes. I then removed the drain bolt and drained that water and poured the rest of the distilled water I had into the radiator to flush it out once more. After that I even tipped the bike on an angle to remove anymore water out of the system.

Next I reinstalled the drain bolt and started pouring in the coolant into the radiator. I filled the reservoir to the correct amount and filled the radiator full, but I probably only was able to put in a total of 1.8-1.9 quarts (out of the total 2.36 like the manual I found online states). I then closed the caps and ran in for probably only 1 or 2 minutes to see if it would run in the system and give me some more space to fill more coolant. It was still full once I removed the radiator cap again.

Do you just think I need to run my engine for a longer period of time for it to really work through the system?

Don't worry the 0.46 quarts left must be in the bottom of the radiator and your hoses (upper left one) and since you ran it with distilled water u probably have a mix 1.9 coolant + 0.46 water (which is ok) or a lil less (Air).

PS: Next time run the engine over 100°C to fully clean the radiator... let it cooling down and then refill with new coolant. You still won't be able to put 2.36 quarts but it's ok.

+ U have a S1 or S2?... because, if I remember correctly, the reservoirs are not the same (and not at the same place) for both of them. So I don't think those 2.36 are always true.

Last edited:

HiGGz

Reaction score
Visit site
You can always add water/ antifreeze. It just wont be 375 deg. F boiling point. It will be whatever the boiling point of the water/ antifreeze is at present. So if you did have a problem you're no worse off at all because your coolant is the Evans. Then when you get home you can drain and refill with the Evans coolant which again is a lifetime engine coolant. It does not break down and turn sludgey like antifreeze/water coolant. Its also non corrosive so I wouldn't think twice about using this product. I do a lot of trips through mountains and into the desert all year round. My bike can go through large temperature variations in a very short period of time so I'm going to flush and fill with the Evans.

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

Maybe i'll give it a try in 2 years (I've just changed my coolant 3 months ago with motul motocool)

Va.Rider

Home in the Old Dominion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd follow up to let you all know what I opt'd for. I put in the Evans coolant. Just a few points: The coolant is clear not green/blue tint. You'll need to flush with the "Evans" flush/prep to get all of the old H2O stuff out. 3 flushes did it for my '09. The Evans is thicker than the regular stuff you're used to. There's no water in it. My bike runs about 10 degrees (188-198) hotter than with standard coolant in it. Bike seems OK even so. I feel good with my choice & I like that its non-toxic/less toxic. Thanx to Motogiro for the Leno Garage report. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. Thanx to all of you guys for the input, the forum has helped in a bunch of ways . . . Spring is comin' . . . Get ready !!!

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this with Engine Ice. I flushed a 1/2 gallon of distiller water through the system until it drained clear from the drain bolt. The information here though is good for checking the levels after the fact. I didn't realize I needed to run the distiller water / throwaway coolant for a while before considering it fully flushed.

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this with Engine Ice. I flushed a 1/2 gallon of distiller water through the system until it drained clear from the drain bolt. The information here though is good for checking the levels after the fact. I didn't realize I needed to run the distiller water / throwaway coolant for a while before considering it fully flushed.

Yeah I just did the same. My old coolant was not very pretty. Probably original. For the price and ease I may redo it again with a proper flush to keep an eye on it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys, I know this will be a repeated question, but, what should I choose according to my weather, usage and also, what amount of coolant should I buy?

I live in Charlotte, NC. Very rare track days, 60% city commute and interstates for the weekends.
The climate here is good, not too hot so far, but probably snows less than 10-15 times per year.

And how much quantity do I need to buy? how many gallons (probably a dumb question for most of you)?

I don't want to buy pre-mixes, as I don't want to pay for water, So, I want to mix it myself, So planning to buy "aluminum-compatible ethylene glycol".
What is my suggested ratio based on above details?

In my apartment complex, there is a place where we can wash our cars and bikes with water hose. Can I drain this coolant there before having my weekly wash for the bike? Or should I compulsorily take it to the nearest recycling facilities?
And btw, can I use the same water in the mix, incase if I'm suggested to use water or I should use distilled water only?

Update:
About using water wetter as anti freeze. I would suggest using distilled water from a store rather than tap water. Your tap water might contain iron or other minerals that could oxidize inside the cooling system. Besides distilled water is only 68 cents for a gallon at walmart.

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you have a cooling problem, regular 50/50 is fine. You can use a higher ratio of water to antifreeze to give you a bit better cooling.

Evans has the advantage that it has a higher boiling point. It doesn't have the same capacity for heat that water does, nor does antifreeze. Antifreeze does what it sounds like it does - keeps the system from freezing. It also raises the boiling point of the coolant mixture, however a pressurized cooling system like the FZ6 will also raise the boiling point of pure water.

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay I'll bite.

What is this stuff made of?
I only see "no water" any data on that?

Also you guys forget an important point.
Why do we use water/glycol mix in the first place?

In a 50/50 mix water/glycol results in a heat capacity of about 30 J/(mol K).
That is still very good because we want that the heat from engine is taken as fast as possible to the radiator.

They claim a boiling point of 375 F which is by coincidence nearly the same as pure propylene glycol. but pure glycol(peg) has only about half the heat capacity as water...

So basically just put no water in and you are fine .... the biggest downside is you lose about 30-40% cooling performance which is for me at least unacceptable.

Of cause cooling systems are sized so they also work in the desert at very high temperatures but why risk it?

Also the guy in the video is most likely paid for this marketing BS.

Last edited: