Why does my engine die?

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Im a newby here, not to riding but to this forum and this bike. Just bought my 08 FZ6 yesterday! I love it! But, why after its been ridin for a while and temp is up if I'm sitting still and rev it above 3000 rpm it dies! Why is this? It has only 4600 miles on it! I dont understand why it does this, runs fine, idles fine, but if I rev it up at all, when rpm drops to 0 it dies!

Last edited:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
When you say "the temp is up", do you mean it is at operating temperature (180-210), or do you mean it is over-heating (230+)?

Does it die as soon as it gets over 3000, or you rev it over 3000, and when the RPMs fall, it cannot hold idle and dies?

Does it start back up without trouble?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the greatest forum on the Net! :BLAA:

Make sure your idle is set to 1300 rpm after it's warmed up. There is a phillips screw knurly looking adjuster on the left side, under the tank, between the frame.
Check all your hoses for a possible vacuum leak.

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Temp was above 210 - about 215 or so. When it drops back to idle it dies. Only seems to do this when above 210 degrees. It starts right back up and it runs fine as far as I can tell. It seems the more it gets hot the worse that issue gets.

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
I will check Idle speed, but it seems fine tho. It is hot here in Boise (90-100) so how hot should it run? I questioned that with there mechanic (Bought bike off local Yamaha dealership), he said bike would run hot, not uncommon to hit220. The problem seems to happen when bike is above 210. I will be taking bike to them tues when they open cuz they let me ride it home for the weekend with a large deposit and final payment due tues. They will fix it or no final payment untill they do!

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone and FZ6 Forum! I really apreciate any and all advice! I come from motocross/desert riding and racing since a boy but this is my 1st street/sport bike and bike with fuel injection so I have some learning to do. I do love this bike, except for this prob - it is sweet!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you know, the quality of the fuel could be an issue too. How much have you ran through it/miles ridden? I might suggest it be filled with name brand product and add some Techron Techroline. Its black bottle via Chevron and select stores. You may also want to take a look inside the fuel tank before filling it. Look for rust inside with a flashlight.

As for the temps; yes, expect them to be 212 to 220. As part of your pre-ride/post-ride, get in the habit of checking the fan to ensure it spins freely as pebbles can stick in it and fry it.

2008, 4600 miles, when hot and going from higher RPM to abrupt throttle chop it dies. I'd also disconnect the battery for about 10 min and reconnect it. This will reset the ECM to the base values so it can relearn.

Hopefully its just stale fuel but give us more info and we'll share what we can. And Welcome! Its great bike and friendly forum!

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope it was broke in properly - see manual. Resetting the ECM isn't a bad idea. Have a peek at your air filter also. Can't combust without air. As for fuel, just stick to 87 octane. These engines are made to run on regular fuel. Mine has died a few times coming back to idle, I've noticied it when I ride in the high mountains where the O2 is a little less, especially when it's a hot day. Your idle is probably set at 1300 or so but make sure. The engine is basically new so compression won't be the problem, unless you've got a plug screwed in poorly in which case it would run like sheet. Good thought to hold final payment until you are satisfied.

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone again! Awesome Forum here. Temps have droped here as of yesterday and it seems to run better when not so hot. I will look into all advice mentioned above! My idle was low, about 1000, so its at 1300 now and seems better. Also, I am at about 3,000 ft elevation in Boise for those asking info. Im headed to Yama dealer in a few and will bring up issue with them! I love this bike, the more I get use to it the more I like it! No issues yesterday when I rode!? Thanks everyone so much for all advice - "Way Cool People"!

Tallan

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, bike seems to be running fine now! My idle was at 1000, I turned it up to around 1200 now. I was told by Yamaha that factory spec. is 900-1250. They seem to think it was bad gas and or carbs slightly out of sync. Hard to tell cuz issue seems to have gone away. I THINK IT WAS BAD/OLD GAS! Either way they promised to resolve any issues and they scheduled to have my carbs synced for free next week. Bike was fully serviced but they did not sync carbs- there service/mechanic said carbs should be synced every 4000 miles and since bike has 4700 and we dont know if it was done, lets go ahead and do that for ya. I agreed! I been short shifting and cruisin it around getting use to it but I did notice bike runs better at higher rpms, engine really does come alive around 8000, so bad gas and me chug it around not revving it out might of been the deal. Either way - Bikes running good now - Dealers on my side- And I Love This Bike!