why I film while riding-even just around town

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
90% of the time I ride I have my gopro on my helmet and filming, and I'm not doing it for YouTube views. This article/video is the perfect example of why. Other reasons may include unwarranted traffic stops, people harrassing me while riding, blaming me for being at fault, etc.. Luckily I have never needed to use the footage as evidence.

Helmet footage saves biker in thousand dollar insurance claim

After watching the video I think the rider could have taken evasive maneuvers much sooner and possibly avoided the car. I didn't hear him use his horn, either, but I have been in situations where more important actions needed to be taken so quickly that I didn't think of it nor had time to blast it.

Anybody else film regularly for similar reasons? I know its very popular in some countries for insurance reasons.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The very first time I used a video camera on my bike (it wasn't a GoPro) a cager ran a stop sign and almost sideswiped me. I pulled over because I was shaken up, so did he to apologize.
It was only after watching the video that I realized I had his license number on the video. And more recently I've seen so many "evidence" videos taken in Russia; these cameras are so cheap its making less and less sense NOT to keep them running continually...

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The very first time I used a video camera on my bike (it wasn't a GoPro) a cager ran a stop sign and almost sideswiped me. I pulled over because I was shaken up, so did he to apologize.
It was only after watching the video that I realized I had his license number on the video. And more recently I've seen so many "evidence" videos taken in Russia; these cameras are so cheap its making less and less sense NOT to keep them running continually...

Yes, there are so many Russian dashcam videos!!

Getting their license plate is key! Especially since I've read horror stories of people who get hit and the cager flees the scene.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I have gotten some pretty interesting stuff on my gopro. everything from ignorance to GEORGIA STATE PATROL cruising past me at well into the 90's (in a 55) with no lights on.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad he made out of this, unless I missed it, how fast was he moving and I also feel he could of came out better if it wasn't for target fixation :)

PS.....it was only a cbr

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
The issue for me is constant recording and power. I do two hours a day. Recharging and cleaning the mundane miles off my memory card every day or two would get frustrating and I'd stop using it after not long.

Anyone know of anything reasonably priced and bike mountable, that does the same as a proper dashcam?

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I was recently thinking about buying a Drift Ghost Hd just for that purpose!

I should really just do it, but all these cameras are damn expensive...

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of anything reasonably priced and bike mountable, that does the same as a proper dashcam?

i think there's some stuff out there, but it's probably aimed for at the trackdayer (like the bullet cam)

the new gopros can record in a loop, so they will overwrite old data

I use my gopro for 99% of my rides too, never had to use it for evidence luckily. I just delete the footage at the end of the week, and charge it up each night.

nitroheadz28

Reaction score
Visit site
i think there's some stuff out there, but it's probably aimed for at the trackdayer (like the bullet cam)

the new gopros can record in a loop, so they will overwrite old data

I use my gopro for 99% of my rides too, never had to use it for evidence luckily. I just delete the footage at the end of the week, and charge it up each night.

I never knew that, regardless though a GoPro is a bit overkill for dash cam purposes. Especially if you're going to be dropping $400 just for this reason.

I myself need to figure something out soon as well. Just yesterday I had some idiot on an R1 swerve into my lane (Oncoming traffic) and play chicken with me only to swerve back at the last second grrrrr.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
btw what are people's opinion of them (from non-cam wearers)?

most people who've asked me about mine think it's for some kind of ego stroking or stunt riding. I have to explain that it's for insurance purposes

i also wonder if i get less nods on the road because people think i'm a prat

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad he made out of this, unless I missed it, how fast was he moving and I also feel he could of came out better if it wasn't for target fixation :)

PS.....it was only a cbr

Video says 67kmh in a 70kmh zone. Idk how this was determined as the speedo isn't visible. Must be according to the rider.

The issue for me is constant recording and power. I do two hours a day. Recharging and cleaning the mundane miles off my memory card every day or two would get frustrating and I'd stop using it after not long.

I can see the concern. I have a 12v power outlet for when it needs charging, but I'm pretty good about charging it at night if the battery is low. The battery can last 2hours on a gopro. As far as wiping the memory card, it takes less than a minute and can be done without removing the memory card. Also mentioned, the loop feature.

I never knew that, regardless though a GoPro is a bit overkill for dash cam purposes. Especially if you're going to be dropping $400 just for this reason.

I myself need to figure something out soon as well. Just yesterday I had some idiot on an R1 swerve into my lane (Oncoming traffic) and play chicken with me only to swerve back at the last second grrrrr.

I got the white edition for $200 since I am not super creative and into making awesome videos. Still HD video quality; does everything I need from it. I agree it's expensive as a dash can, but I also use it for mountain biking, smiling/wakeboarding, snowboarding.. The versatility is nice.

btw what are people's opinion of them (from non-cam wearers)?

most people who've asked me about mine think it's for some kind of ego stroking or stunt riding. I have to explain that it's for insurance purposes

i also wonder if i get less nods on the road because people think i'm a prat

I usually mount mine on the chinbar of my helmet. Makes it a little more subtle, and I don't end up looking like this -
ttlPoWithScooter.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Would love to have a gopro but it would have to be hard mounted behind the windscreen somehow as I don't want one on my helmet, it makes you look like one of those moto-logging punks.

As for the accident captured in this footage. This is what happens when you are riding much faster than the lanes around you and not scanning ahead. I would have applied the brakes the moment I saw that car's nose sticking out into the road 150 feet before impact.

RedDemon

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in an accident 5 years ago and was charged with an at fault when it wasn't the case. Since then I decided to buy a gopro and used it for when I go to track days and doubles as a dash cam.

I didn't like the idea of attaching the gopro to my helmet so I found a place on the bike where it shows a clear view ahead and doesn't show the speedo (I would hate to have a claim denied because I was going 5 over...).

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in an accident 5 years ago and was charged with an at fault when it wasn't the case. Since then I decided to buy a gopro and used it for when I go to track days and doubles as a dash cam.

I didn't like the idea of attaching the gopro to my helmet so I found a place on the bike where it shows a clear view ahead and doesn't show the speedo (I would hate to have a claim denied because I was going 5 over...).

Hmm ... thats an awesome spot thanks for the idea.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Waiting for the first bike from the factory to have an internal camera installed where all you have to do is insert a memory card and it would automatically record.