Why no one will sell you the bike you want

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I think they make some great points. There are some changes to how everyone views motorcycles before it really becomes safe for everyone. That also includes people who buy the bikes just as toys...

I did enjoy this quote though:

You can spot them riding around in their Roadcrafters, with tool rolls strapped to the back of their immaculately maintained sport tourers and adventure bikes.

That's us!!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the implied line, that the true riders self maintain their bikes is spot on.

Those that love their machine(s) and get their hands dirty have an attachment to both their rides and their self-preservation, its a prolonged love affair that transcends just riding.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the implied line, that the true riders self maintain their bikes is spot on.

Obviously because the rest of us have no attachment to our bikes what so ever, and obviously can't ride for toffee, etc, etc.

Thanks for the heads up.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously because the rest of us have no attachment to our bikes what so ever, and obviously can't ride for toffee, etc, etc.

Thanks for the heads up.
Don't be dense. Obviously all riders can be passionate about their bike and love everything about riding. I don't think he's wrong though, when he says that the people who wrench and do the work on their own bike are MORE passionate.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen all kinds and the short answer is this; Some take more pride in ownership than others. That may apply to any vehicle/object....

I'd be pretty butt hurt should my bike trade hands w/out my consent. While others would see it as an opportunity! :eek:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Get your **** stolen w/ 1 year left on payment and tell me how ya feel. Just because people don't know how to work on a bike doesn't mean they don't care. After working a mechanic job for a few years, I'm glad some things are brought to my attention instead of being molested. Just like cars are not meant for the ultra rich. Doesn't mean those who are successful in life can't enjoy it too.

Yall can lie to y'all's friends, and I will lie to mine.

Please tell me if you had the money that yall would work on y'all's own bikes. It's funny, because unless your certified plumbers, electricians. Construction, etc.. Yall call people who are in the know to get it right

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Get your **** stolen w/ 1 year left on payment and tell me how ya feel. Just because people don't know how to work on a bike doesn't mean they don't care. After working a mechanic job for a few years, I'm glad some things are brought to my attention instead of being molested. Just like cars are not meant for the ultra rich. Doesn't mean those who are successful in life can't enjoy it too.

Yall can lie to y'all's friends, and I will lie to mine.

Please tell me if you had the money that yall would work on y'all's own bikes. It's funny, because unless your certified plumbers, electricians. Construction, etc.. Yall call people who are in the know to get it right
I can't speak for others on this forum, but I have the money to take my bike to a shop. The thing is, I would much rather do the work myself. It's not that I don't trust mechanics (hell, it's their profession...they are better than me without a doubt), it's that I would rather learn about how my bike works. It allows me to ride the bike and know if something feels off. It allows me to make the bike exactly how I want it.

Since this is a bit off topic, I'll try not clutter this thread anymore. [emoji4]

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for others on this forum, but I have the money to take my bike to a shop. The thing is, I would much rather do the work myself. It's not that I don't trust mechanics (hell, it's their profession...they are better than me without a doubt), it's that I would rather learn about how my bike works. It allows me to ride the bike and know if something feels off. It allows me to make the bike exactly how I want it.

Since this is a bit off topic, I'll try not clutter this thread anymore. [emoji4]

I don't fault you for that, just like I don't fault anyone who doesn't have the ambition to wrench on stuff. Granted, I enjoy it, would I do it if I was rich? Naw! Lol

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't fault you for that, just like I don't fault anyone who doesn't have the ambition to wrench on stuff. Granted, I enjoy it, would I do it if I was rich? Naw! Lol

Different story here: I'd have a "better equipped shop" and there'd be some custom sh!tz goin on inside! :D Tinkering keeps me out of twubble! :rolleyes:

I also see a sleeper cage rolling out the door one day. Not a station wagon but something that should be FWD would be a RWD and lay lots of RUBBER on Demand! I miss my V8's and the sound!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do my mods but time dictates I get a mech to do tune ups and tyre changes etc that and having the right area to work in. I love the bike I maintain it keep an eye on everything...but on the other hand my son has cobwebs around his headlight, a dry chain and tomorrow will finally get his fork seals tended to
You do what you can if so inclined there is no one true path

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Why No One Will Sell You The Bike You Want

Interesting article on the motorcycle Industry.

What do you think?

What do I think? I despise Wes Siler as both a person and an author. He makes a heck of a lot of unsubstantiated claims based on nothing at all or his personal opinion. He usually fails to effectively convey his message, either because he buries the lede (if he has one at all...) or because few people want to finish an article that sounds like it was written by a middle school bully.

I don't disagree with his main point, which is that the bike culture in the US drives the market to produce mostly race replicas and 600 lb chromed out cruisers, meaning practical commuter and beginner bikes are in short supply. But overall the article is crap and a lot of what he says is BS. If his ego allowed him, he could have made his points in 3 succinct paragraphs.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy is seriously high on himself. He never actually got to his point. Well, he may have, but after the massive amount of **** talking saying how everyone in American is a bunch of dumb ****s, I quit reading.

I smell the blue coming off his article, if someone wants to buy something that will kill them that's their prerogative. I don't need some asshat holding the hands of people because their parents failed to instill a smidgen of common sense into.

The guy is the definition of keyboard warrior too. Read some of the comments and replies. If I had a close friend die and heard comments like his come out of his mouth IRL, he would get his throat crushed.

"if you don't respect the dead. You don't respect anything"

Last edited:

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, yeah if at least 10% of commuters would switch to bikes, we would solve most of congestion's problem and gas consumption. The big part of problem is I agree, in the riding education in America. Make him/her ride only a 250-300cc bike for the first year. They'll get more familiar with riding, become a better riders, will love the sport, and all chances are that they'll buy a bigger bike which they'll enjoy even more, the next time. Another think is to promote commuting. I ride to work 50 miles each way and on a good day I see 2 more bikes on my way, and sometimes none...
Don't know what AMA is really doing...

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the point of increasing people commuting on motorcycles to ease congestion etc. but I don't know about where you all live (or the author lives), but the drivers around my area are horrible. You are literally taking your life into your own hands commuting in it. It's terrible in a car, IMHO, no less on a bike.

zpdrumer

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
My favorite line "So we've identified that the vast majority of motorcycle consumers here are idiots " well thanks. I don't agree with most of that article. It's just some guy ranting and being pompous as though he's transcended all other human beings and he alone sees all the problems and knows all the solutions. If there were good points in the article they were shrugged off because the way they were presented

Towards the end he complains that Americans have a bad disposition towards riders, if nothing else, this dude has a bad enough outlook for all Americans haha. I thought the irony was funny. Condemning people that think all motorcyclist are idiots. While at the same time perpetuating that stereotype. *shrugs* oh well

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Why No One Will Sell You The Bike You Want

Interesting article on the motorcycle Industry.

What do you think?
Wut do I think?

bush-constitution-tldr_zpsfe8e6dde.jpg

Can't speak fer the rest of the world, butt Americans mostly buy bikes to inflate their massive egos; not to ride. For decades I've been hear'in peeps say; "if only they make a sensible bike like this..." Then the manufacturers make it, and nobody buys it. Americans want poseur bikes; sport, enduro, or harleys so they can ride 'em to *$s 'n show the world how awesome they iz. :thumbup:
I have a neighborhood full of annoying little harley fags that don't ride fer sh!t. All they do is dress like pirates and make a spectacle of themselves.

To All Bikers - Don't Be a Fag - YouTube

With Yamaha's new line up, there's purdie much something for everybody, butt poseur appeal. It'll be interesting to see how many of the new models they sell in 'murica?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Wut do I think?

bush-constitution-tldr_zpsfe8e6dde.jpg

Can't speak fer the rest of the world, butt Americans mostly buy bikes to inflate their massive egos; not to ride. ?

I have a cool bike, I know others like my bike. That's why I joined a bike specific forum. You go to car shows right? You enter car shows? You are assuming way to much, because for every douche bag I know, I know 4 other people who generally have a passion for it. I'm sorry you want to live on an asshat reserve with those guys, that doesn't make you an asshat right??

It's funny people use the word Murica as some kind of insult for dumb retarded southern hillbillies with no education. I'm from Arkansas, nice to meet you. ;)

Last edited:

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
My favorite line "So we've identified that the vast majority of motorcycle consumers here are idiots " well thanks. I don't agree with most of that article. It's just some guy ranting and being pompous as though he's transcended all other human beings and he alone sees all the problems and knows all the solutions. If there were good points in the article they were shrugged off because the way they were presented

Towards the end he complains that Americans have a bad disposition towards riders, if nothing else, this dude has a bad enough outlook for all Americans haha. I thought the irony was funny. Condemning people that think all motorcyclist are idiots. While at the same time perpetuating that stereotype. *shrugs* oh well

You're half right, he definitely thinks he's a prodigy that has figured out all the problems, but he fails to bring up any real solutions. Maybe he should get up and do something, but then he wouldn't have anything to complain about on the internet...

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
He was correct about motorcycles in America being toys.
People buy for different reasons. Different needs, if you will. Manufactures try to meet those needs.
That whole ball game is about to change. The Big 4 and BMW had a meeting back in '05 or '06 where they informally agreed to end the horsepower wars. State of the art was 170 to 180SHP. The next year BMW released a new K series that pumped out almost 200 SHP. The Big 4 felt like BMW had fooked them, which it had. The meeting was called because the EU bureaucrats were talking about restricting SHP. 100 SHP was the number being tossed about. The manufactures tried to head the bureaucrats off with their informal agreement. Once BMW broke that agreement, all doors were open. Yamaha went crossplane for 200 ponies, now Kawasaki is spooling up the turbine for 300.
The Bureaucrats will put an end to this soon enough.
I expect to see SHP restrictions on motorcycles by the end of next year.
Not sure that will slow the carnage. Fools can kill themselves with 5 horsepower. Some do it with one.
Then there is this guy;
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWApL1RiB8I"]Yamaha Fz1 Vs R1? - YouTube[/ame]

Will the human race really miss him?