wierd noise after a service

cycovin

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys, this is probably my first post in this forum, though I am a regular here. I live in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates and ride a '06 FZ. Yesterday I had done an oil change from the dealers and some other small things such as chain tightening, general fluid check etc. While riding back there was a strange sound (humm.) from the engine, while I give the throttle, it is very obivious and turns into almost liek a howling at three digit speeds. I checked with them and they said it might be due to the tightened chain, but i could not make out if it is from the engine or chain. they asked me to ride is for a week to see if goes off when the chain gets loose. Could some of you help me please? Thanks guys...cheers.

ptastuart

Reaction score
Visit site
It's sounds to me like they didnt align the wheel properly.

Check the swing arm marking and make sure that it is the same on both sides.

Also the chain could be adjusted too tightly?

W

wrightme43

Well you could check your chain tension yourself. If it is to tight take it back.

Also look over the bike, lift the tank and make sure the airbox lid is right, look thru the frame and make sure the airbox connections to the throttle bodies are right as well.
Check the oil.

That should get you started.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder how much damage you can do in a week???????????

Take it back now and get them to ride it for themselves.

Steve

cycovin

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response guys and really sorry that I lost track of this thread for sometime. My problem is still persisting. The "humm" has been there for quite sometime and I relegiously lube the chain thinking that this would go away. The Yammie guys told me to ride it for some time as the chain will get loose. But that didnt happen. I took it to them after a month (didnt do any high speed ride all these days and was just commuting) I was sure that the chain was a bit tight during my cleaning sessions since the rear wheen was not very freely spinning. Now today I took it to them to check the same and after half day, they said it was OK and I can collect the bike. To my surpirse the moment i crossed 40 KMPH, the sound was very vivid. The charecterestic of this noise is such that once I get to 40kmph + the noise starts to be clear. (It gets very obivious when i dipress the clutch. The rpm goes down to 0 and the noise is very clear. This makes it clear that it is not from the engine.) So, I took the next U turn and headed back to the dealer. The mechanic checked it once again and said this might be due to the fact that you had a very tight chain and it might have damaged the bearing. I said what the ----, you were the guys who asked me to ride it for some time and see if the noise disapperas and now this????. I am so pissed off. I had read about the chain alighment in this form and asked the service engineer to check the same. it seems like they are from a different planet and dont know much technically. Here, in United Arab Emirates high-end bikes are not very common and so professional service is difficult. I heard Honda guys have a good presence here including a sound technical team. I am sure it is the dealer and not the bike. Please help me with any valuable inouts and suggestions that you may have. Thank you so much guys and wish you all safe riding.

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
hay man, you replied to my post of the stuck oil filter.

This is why i exactly i started to look after my bike myself, i even called the service center one day to book for a service and they didn't know what is FZ6 :S they only knew quad bikes and R6 and R1, else they don't know.

Anyway, after all the advice from the people around, i never took it to the yamaha guys and just took it for other bike shops in Dubai.
Yet now i do it myself as it is a rip off to service at one of these shops.

I can say hands down the best service is from Kawasaki, they guys there ride with us on the weekend, and they are there on the national race events. they are all around and help wiht kawasaki or other, but it is better be kawasaki. but i love my bike :D

anywho, if you need help, pm me and i can arrange to help. i got all the tools as i just took my back wheel off to change the tire.

good luck and don't ride alot with that tight chain it would wear the gearbox/engine/sproket.

take care