Wilbers Shock - inexpensive rear upgrade alternative

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've peen poking around at entry-level upgraded shocks. Here are the options I've looked at for comparison:

1) Fixing stock: The absolute cheapest I've been able to get someone to quote me for revalving and servicing our stock shock is $300. Add in a spring swap from Racetech, and you're looking at a minimum of $425 to fix the stock shock.
2) R1 shock: Basically requires the same investment as above, plus $30-50 to get the shock and requires some small modifications to the bike. I wasn't in love with this option. The upside is that you get a better, adjustable shock.
3) Ohlins: Cheapest Ohlins option is about $650, but it's still an emulsion shock. Meh. Also, ugly yellow.
4) Nitron: Seriously worth considering. Nitron's "R1" model shock comes with a single adjustment for rebound + compression damping on a divided piston shock, runs about $700.

5) Goldilocks option: Wilbers

Wilbers is not a company I had heard of until very recently. A German suspension company that's apparently popular in Germany and England. Their model 640 shock (specifically, 640-0693) for the FZ6 is a divided piston shock with preload and rebound adjustment (no compression, but that's less important than rebound).
thank you for your email and your interest in Wilbers suspension products. The shock number 640-0693 is the right one for the FZ6 of year 2004. The shock costs 499 Euro with taxes but as you are from the US your price for the shock absorber would be approx. 416 Euro.

Shipping to America depends on the weight of the package but can be quite expensive therefore I recommend that you check with out partners and importers in the US so that, if you order there, they could include the shock in one of their regular packages.

Here the email addresses from our three main partners:

Beemershop in California ([email protected])
Wheels and Wings in Florida ([email protected])
Wilbers USA in New Jersey ([email protected])
My quote from their US importer in California for a custom-built shock (appropriate valving, spring rates, oil): $557!! Added bonus: They come in two color options: "Blackline" shocks (all black/silver) and "Blueline" (dark blue spring). Perfect to match our bikes, and the blueline will look great on my silver FZ, as I've been adding blue bits anyway (R6 fork adjusters, blue spot calipers, blue levers, brake lines).

Sold

I'll post back up with a review after I get it, and once I've got it set up and put a few miles on it.

KHarper4289

Reaction score
Visit site
I've peen poking around at entry-level upgraded shocks. Here are the options I've looked at for comparison:

1) Fixing stock: The absolute cheapest I've been able to get someone to quote me for revalving and servicing our stock shock is $300. Add in a spring swap from Racetech, and you're looking at a minimum of $425 to fix the stock shock.
2) R1 shock: Basically requires the same investment as above, plus $30-50 to get the shock and requires some small modifications to the bike. I wasn't in love with this option. The upside is that you get a better, adjustable shock.
3) Ohlins: Cheapest Ohlins option is about $650, but it's still an emulsion shock. Meh. Also, ugly yellow.
4) Nitron: Seriously worth considering. Nitron's "R1" model shock comes with a single adjustment for rebound + compression damping on a divided piston shock, runs about $700.

5) Goldilocks option: Wilbers

Wilbers is not a company I had heard of until very recently. A German suspension company that's apparently popular in Germany and England. Their model 640 shock (specifically, 640-0693) for the FZ6 is a divided piston shock with preload and rebound adjustment (no compression, but that's less important than rebound).
My quote from their US importer in California for a custom-built shock (appropriate valving, spring rates, oil): $557!! Added bonus: They come in two color options: "Blackline" shocks (all black/silver) and "Blueline" (dark blue spring). Perfect to match our bikes, and the blueline will look great on my silver FZ, as I've been adding blue bits anyway (R6 fork adjusters, blue spot calipers, blue levers, brake lines).

Sold

I'll post back up with a review after I get it, and once I've got it set up and put a few miles on it.

Should've bought my Penske for the same price ;)

When I inquired about Wilbur about a year or so ago they could not sell to the United States based on vehicle parts regulation laws. Glad to see they've set up distribution! These $1,000+ remote reservoir shock companies need some competition.

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Should've bought my Penske for the same price ;)

When I inquired about Wilbur about a year or so ago they could not sell to the United States based on vehicle parts regulation laws. Glad to see they've set up distribution! These $1,000+ remote reservoir shock companies need some competition.

I would have bought your Penske if the weight discrepancy wasn't so big. I'd still have had to pay another $300-400 to fix it for my weight.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the shock. It's a PITA to adjust the preload, and I think they undersprung it a bit, but now the front suspension is back to being the weak link.

Of course, compared to a 13-year-old stock shock, anything would have felt like a huge improvement.

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the shock. It's a PITA to adjust the preload, and I think they undersprung it a bit, but now the front suspension is back to being the weak link.

Of course, compared to a 13-year-old stock shock, anything would have felt like a huge improvement.

Are you happy with it overall? Which importer did you get it through?

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Any update re the wilbers shock?

And to whom might know: what's the difference between the S1 ans S2 models, as far as the rear shock is concerned? A S1 with a S2 rear subframe will fit shocks for an S1 or S2 or both?