Winter is coming.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
Started feeling it.

Temp said 6 degrees this morning! Thick fog, wet roads.
Cold rain is predicted until about March and after a hitting oil on a roundabout and not noticing until I accelarated off and the back wheel went for a slip and slide at fifty it's time to change to my 'winter riding mode'.

Slightly different to how I ride in the wet, I don't really lean on corners and accelerate much slower in higher gears. Not as fun but much safer and saves a ton on fuel compared to the summer!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Started feeling it.

Temp said 6 degrees this morning! Thick fog, wet roads.
Cold rain is predicted until about March

Do you guys only have 2 seasons over there?

I thought Cleveland was bad, but we at least have 4 seasons (winter is still a long way off here) and one of them is a brief but beautiful season called Fall - perfect riding weather (though fallen leaves can be slick on the roads, a small price to pay for the beauty of ripping through a wooded 2-lane with orange and yellow leaves all around).

EDIT: Did you make your title "winter is coming" to make me click in hopes of it being about Game of Thrones?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The cold, rainy season! Now you know why your forefather's traveled to the new world! They said it was to discover new lands but it was really to escape the English rain! :BLAA:

Here in the central Eastern Seaboard we are starting the stretch of normally dry, sunny weather in September and October. This is probably the best time of the year for riding in this part of the world. I have a 1,000 mile trip lined up for this weekend in PA and upstate NY!

Last edited:

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT: Did you make your title "winter is coming" to make me click in hopes of it being about Game of Thrones?

...maybe.

We have it warmer until October some years, but not this year sadly. The salt will be out across the roads before I know it. Which reminds me to change my coolant and get some anti-freeze in there!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The weather here in Idaho is perfect! Not too hot, not too cold. The heat is behind us and the cold isn't here yet. Call it being in the sweet spot! However, I will be ready for the winter. Heated gear, mittens, and of course, my other bike which is still equipped with carbide tip studs.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
The weather here in Idaho is perfect! Not too hot, not too cold. The heat is behind us and the cold isn't here yet. Call it being in the sweet spot! However, I will be ready for the winter. Heated gear, mittens, and of course, my other bike which is still equipped with carbide tip studs.

I'm not sure if you are serious or not...

This is what I do at the end of the season, before I put the new rubber on:

http://https://www.dropbox.com/s/zlhl0vv3cqfd0d5/VID_20130908_150142_256.mp4

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, winter is real close around here.;) Only 38 ;)celsius (100 farenheit) today in Sacramento, California. I actually LUV hot weather. The weather her is four seasons but, NO snow during winter, just occassional freezes. My FZ6 says that it LIKES the weather around here. It's similar to Mediterranean climate.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Starting to cool off in the great white north as well. Got down to 10c in the morning a few days ago. Still in the low 20's in the afternoon, but drops right off once the sun starts going down

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, he's serious!!!! Pic of Vegas rider's winter transportation....

Front.jpg

Helmet-1.jpg

Last edited:

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
dude...you're nuts! haha that's pretty sweet though, I was not expecting a dual sport, but that makes much more sense now. There is a guy around where I live that rides a victory in the snow :eek:

Skybow388

Reaction score
Visit site
Winters here aren't bad. Mississippi weather does suck. Right now it's about 90-96 with 85% humidity and winters usually the low is 20-30

2006 blue fz6

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It's almost drought conditions now in the Mid-Atlantic! After a summer of more rain than I've seen in 15 years we are finally in the sweet spot for motorcycling! 85F by day, 60F by night. Clear skies. Perfect.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Winter is coming WOOOOOHOOOOOOO

I now get to look forward to 8 months of perfect riding weather, although when it drops to only in the 50-60s :Flip: you at least need riding pants to stay really warm. :ban:

whynot

Rust never sleeps.
Reaction score
Visit site
One hazard of Fall riding 'round here has to do with back-to-school, the towns re-paint all the crosswalks, sometimes with a solid, 4-foot wide band of paint all the way across the road, talk about slippery. My town has a hard-working bicycle committee that works on road safety issues, for one thing, the crosswalks are striped in foot-wide bands running in the direction of travel, so you can pick an unpainted line through the crosswalk most of the time. Of course, cornering through those alternating bands might mean sliding on the paint, getting traction on the unpainted part, then high-siding, not good ...