Winter project preview...

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I finally went naked.

Here's the list of what I've done so far:

1. Custom headlight from BKMOTO. CCFL Halo and Bi-xenon HID. Installed a rocker switch on the handlebar to isolate the halo as low beam and the HID/secondary lamp as high beam.

2. I didn't like the built in blinkers in the headlight at all, so I mounted my own into the headlight brackets I picked up/modified and painted.

3. Rhinomoto bar ends with CRG hindsight knock off bar end mirrors. The eBay bar end mirrors I got didn't fit right... so I had to mill them down and paint them to get them correct. Probably worth the hassle though considering I think they were only $30. I'll see how they hold up over time.

I think the best part about everything is that I'm keeping all of the original wiring harnesses. Since I already did the BD43 dual headlight mod, I'm wiring everything up with a H4 connector and leaving everything stock. That way if I ever want to go back to the fairing for some reason (or I sell the bike), I can put it back together with ease.

FYI, I also used LEAN69's speedo mounting bracket. It's quite nice, but I did have to drill out the main attachment hole because it was too small for the stock bolt to go through.

I should finish all of the soldering/wiring and routing in the next few days. So far I like it much better than stock!

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
looks good, nick. how long does the HID take to get to full brightness? reason i'm asking is because if you use the highs to flash, it would seem like a waste of energy to the ballasts. have you considered getting a euro light switch with low, high, pass are wired separately to halo, HID , secondary/high respectively? maybe i'm misunderstanding the setup, but nevertheless, it looks great. can't wait to see it in person.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
looks good, nick. how long does the HID take to get to full brightness? reason i'm asking is because if you use the highs to flash, it would seem like a waste of energy to the ballasts. have you considered getting a euro light switch with low, high, pass are wired separately to halo, HID , secondary/high respectively? maybe i'm misunderstanding the setup, but nevertheless, it looks great. can't wait to see it in person.

You know, I really should have done that. What I was worried about is the HID being too bright to drivers at night (I really don't think I'll ever need it. I put a blue halo and an 8000k bulb in there.) So really if I flash the switch, the secondary bulb in the top of the unit (not the HID) can flash to get someones attention, and if I REALLY need the extra light I can just keep everything on for whatever amount of time I need until I can pop it off. I haven't done a test yet to see how long it takes to get to full bright though. I am hoping not too long.

The other odd thing was that I wanted to find a slim fit rocker style switch, and NO ONE in the US had any. I had to get a part from the UK for a pretty penny. As is I have almost no more room left on the bars for stuff. You can see it on the left in the image attached, next to the 4 ways (emergency lights) switch.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice.:thumbup:

Ride report?:confused:

Haven't finished the wiring yet! Hopefully today or tomorrow I am going to pull the air box, route everything through the frame, and solder it all up. Once everything's done I'll definitely report back!

And I'll definitely be out next spring. Next group ride I won't be a dope and wear a full suit in 98 degree weather. I almost overheated that trip. After this is done summer gear is my next purchase!

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
You know, I really should have done that. What I was worried about is the HID being too bright to drivers at night (I really don't think I'll ever need it. I put a blue halo and an 8000k bulb in there.) So really if I flash the switch, the secondary bulb in the top of the unit (not the HID) can flash to get someones attention, and if I REALLY need the extra light I can just keep everything on for whatever amount of time I need until I can pop it off. I haven't done a test yet to see how long it takes to get to full bright though. I am hoping not too long.

The other odd thing was that I wanted to find a slim fit rocker style switch, and NO ONE in the US had any. I had to get a part from the UK for a pretty penny. As is I have almost no more room left on the bars for stuff. You can see it on the left in the image attached, next to the 4 ways (emergency lights) switch.

not sure if this applies to your ballast, i know that certain hid ballasts do not allow for instant restrike (turning on shortly after turning off) until after some cool down time. since you have the secondary bulb in there, it may not be such a big of an issue for you, but just so that you aren't surprised while riding. if your projector is pointed correctly, i don't think it would be an issue for drivers. personally, i would probably try the halo for daytime running light, hid for nighttime low and secondary for high. anyone fit an hid projector into a dominator light yet? :D

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
It's alive...

Some trouble with the turn signals (see my most recent post) but other than that the bike is shaping up to be awesome.

Don't know why my images are uploading sideways. Sorry about that.