Winterizing

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So this is my first year I have ever really needed to winterize my bike. I know to add some fuel stabilizer, full tank of gas, trickle charge battery, but how many of you change your oil before you winterize it, or is it better to change the oil in the spring time?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it now; all the acids from blowby past the rings are in the oil. They can be toxic and actually eat steel and corrode aluminum. If less than 1000 miles, prolly be fine. If Greater than 4000 and in hi humidity area; i'd change it!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on lubing the chain!
I siphon my gas tank and unplug the pump then turn the bike on till it stalls, then take the battery out and keep it in a warmer place....keep both tires off the ground and air them down a bit. Make sure you have something that is actually good for less then freezing point even if you are keeping it in a garage. I just switched my coolant out for a more winter friendly mix. :thumbup:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I siphon my gas tank and unplug the pump then turn the bike on till it stalls

Does this allow for condensation to build in the tank and cause it to possibly rust? I have been told to store it with a full tank of gas mixed with a stabilizer due to this possibility.

PB4UGO

Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO it is better to store it with the tank as full as you can get it with stabilizer in it.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on lubing the chain!
I siphon my gas tank and unplug the pump then turn the bike on till it stalls, then take the battery out and keep it in a warmer place....keep both tires off the ground and air them down a bit. Make sure you have something that is actually good for less then freezing point even if you are keeping it in a garage. I just switched my coolant out for a more winter friendly mix. :thumbup:

Running out of fuel is hard on a fuel pump... Fill the tank with gas and fuel stabilizer is a better option...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does this allow for condensation to build in the tank and cause it to possibly rust? I have been told to store it with a full tank of gas mixed with a stabilizer due to this possibility.

I would only do that if the lid were left open and and it was in climate controlled place. To much work, fire risk, and now you have be concerned with keeping debris out.

Fill it to the RIM and call it good.
Be aware that parking it in garage with a gas appliance like dryers, water heaters etc, it may over flow if it gets warmer than it was when filled.

JKU2012

Reaction score
Visit site
New to owning a bike as well as new to the Forum. Stupid question: If my bike is garaged (70degrees at the lowest), do i need to do anything for the winter?

I live in Nebraska, and plan to go out a little when it's not freezing.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though it will be in a warm garage, the gas can foul. Best to put fuel stabilizer in it if you don't think you'll use a tank in under one month. Also, it's best to change the oil if it already has over 1-2k miles. Clean and lube the chain. All of these things are best done, then ridden for a short ride to circulate it around, then stored.

In north Delaware, it gets quite cold, but I'm not writing off riding until I absolutely have to (snow/ice/rain/salt/average highs in the 30s).

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I lube my chain every other tank of gas.....is that too much? Guy at the shop recomended that.....Oh also ride it first THEN lube the chain, the heat will help melt the lube and get it deep into the chain.

Is the fuel stabilizer bad for bikes ? or is it just unecessary during normal use because the fuel never gets too old when ridden a lot? Just curious why its not used more often?

my bike will be inside but not temp controlled, avg it will probably be about 30 F deg in winter......will I hate my self for not putting a trickle charger on? I was thinking of riding it on the nice days, snow typically doesnt stick around town long after a storm. So I was thinking of just riding it or starting up the bike every week.......thoughts?

Can you put a trickle charger on the bike with out pulling the tank?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I lube my chain every other tank of gas.....is that too much? Guy at the shop recomended that.....Oh also ride it first THEN lube the chain, the heat will help melt the lube and get it deep into the chain.

Is the fuel stabilizer bad for bikes ? or is it just unecessary during normal use because the fuel never gets too old when ridden a lot? Just curious why its not used more often?

my bike will be inside but not temp controlled, avg it will probably be about 30 F deg in winter......will I hate my self for not putting a trickle charger on? I was thinking of riding it on the nice days, snow typically doesnt stick around town long after a storm. So I was thinking of just riding it or starting up the bike every week.......thoughts?

Can you put a trickle charger on the bike with out pulling the tank?

I think the lube interval is every 300 miles.

Stabilizer is only necessary when fuel will be sitting for longer periods. I'd say up to one month and you are fine.

Trickle charging (tender) is a much-debated topic. To each his own. Most tenders are sold with leads that enable you to easily make the connection without lifting the tank.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
or just keep riding, I usually ride as far into the season as I can, once it starts snowing or they start putting salt down is when I stop, in the past when I owned my house bike would sit on stands with a battery tender on it and a full tank of gas, sold the house so we are living in an apartment building not sure where I will be storing it this year