wiring accessories questions

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i have some wiring i need to do to clean up my fairing and add my stebel horn.

here is what i currently have.

• projectors - all wired directly to the battery
  • heated "under"-grips - wired directly to battery (no relay) but doesn't matter because they haven't worked since i put them on. i put them on last year and didn't have time to take everything apart and trace out the issue.

now here's what i want to do
  • first, i got one of these
    a_SWTICH_HBS02.jpg

the plan is to use the hi/low switch for my heated grips. and to use the kill switch for my stock horn to give friendly beeps while on campus and other places.
  • next i'm going to add a stebel horn.
  • the other thing i plan on doing is running a terminal strip and fuse box to the fairing to clean everything up.

here's where i need help. i want to do this a clean as possible and with as few parts as possible. so if you could follow this and let me know if this plan would work.

• first, because the grips don't need to run through the fairing i plan on hooking up from the battery -> fuse (amperage?) -> relay -> switch
  • second, i want to send some wires to the terminal strip in the fairing to run the stebel and projectors. so i don't crowd the battery area i'm thinking... battery -> +/- wires to fairing -> fuse (30 amp?) -> terminal strip.
  • then i'd plug the projectors into the fuse box/terminal strip.
  • off the fuse box/terminal strip i'd run the relay for the stebel. will it also need a dedicated fuse? if so, what amperage?

the only other thing for me to figure out is hooking up the stock horn to the "kill switch" push-button on my "heater" switch i'm adding. any suggestions for this?

i hope that all makes sense. some of this is hard for me to think through since there's so much going on and wiring a bike or car is not something i do on a regular basis. any guidance you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Dean,
How do you want the bar switch to control your grips? Is grips off in the bottom position (marked by the dot), on in the L position OK? Or do you want them on in the H position also? (You aren't hoping for high and low heat settings, are you?) Also, I am curious as to how the wires for the grips get to the grips without going through the fairing?
I'll think about this some more, but answers to the above will help.
Jeff

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Dean,
How do you want the bar switch to control your grips? Is grips off in the bottom position (marked by the dot), on in the L position OK? Or do you want them on in the H position also? (You aren't hoping for high and low heat settings, are you?) Also, I am curious as to how the wires for the grips get to the grips without going through the fairing?
I'll think about this some more, but answers to the above will help.
Jeff

this is the under-grip heaters i have.
Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater Kit w/round rocker switch - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.
they came with a toggle switch with a high and low setting. currently the switch is attached to my handlebars and everything is pretty much contained in that area. the only thing that leaves the handle bars is a neg wire to the battery and a pos wire to the battery. i plan on doing the same set up, with a different switch... but doing it properly this time with a fuse and a relay. does that make sense why it doesn't have to run through the fairing?

also, yes, i do plan on using the hi and low since the heaters are already set up that way.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some observations...questions

If your adding a master terminal strip it would have a master fuse of 30 amps?

The heater specs call for max draw of 3.0 amps, so i would guess a 5 would suffice?

The stebel must have an amp draw rating as well?

Allowing for each devices amp usage/rating the total capacity of the terminal strip fuse shouldn't go much above those combined.

I would presume the "kill" switch usage for the stock beeper is a simple switch leg type connection power>switch>horn.

Good luck!

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
this is the under-grip heaters i have.
Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater Kit w/round rocker switch - Motorcycle Parts and Accessories for the Sport Touring Enthusiast at Motorcycle Accessories from California Sport Touring, Inc.
they came with a toggle switch with a high and low setting. currently the switch is attached to my handlebars and everything is pretty much contained in that area. the only thing that leaves the handle bars is a neg wire to the battery and a pos wire to the battery. i plan on doing the same set up, with a different switch... but doing it properly this time with a fuse and a relay. does that make sense why it doesn't have to run through the fairing?

also, yes, i do plan on using the hi and low since the heaters are already set up that way.

OK, that helps, will require more figuring. If you get ambitious, don't wait for me!