wobble at highway speed?

killshot1

Reaction score
Visit site
hey guys looking for advice on a 06 fz6 w/ 14k on it. had the bike about a month now and ive noticed a slightly scary wobble in what seems like the front end when at highway speeds ie 120-140 kph. ive checked the front wheel bearing and it seems good. front tire has a date of 29/10 after the dot # but still has ok tread on it. i dont see any balancing weights on the rim. just wondering if anyone had some advice on what i can do or check on the bike. im kinda scared to open it up because of it. almost like the bars wobble lightly back and forth even on smooth roads. never had this issue on my old zx6r, any advice is appreciated!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tires are 9 years old, regardless of whether they are the cause or contribute to the wobble, replace them right away.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tire is 9 years old and NOT balanced (kinda rare a tire is dead nuts on being balanced).

You didn't note how many miles on the tire ITSELF and if there's any cupping...(A close up pic would be nice). Cupping WILL cause handlebar wobble.

I'd start with the basic's, and replace the tire AND get it balanced.

A crash at speed, (or any speed) WILL COST WAY MORE than a tire...

I would also put the bike on the CC, lift the nose by putting a scissor jack under the header(won't hurt anything).
Now, pull the front rim up and forwards feeling/listening for any looseness in the steering head bearings. There should be NONE.

With the low miles I doubt their worn but may need adjustment (too loose)..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe another possibility is the forks got tweaked. Maybe while weight is off the front you could loosen the front Axel and form tube in the triple clamps to relax a possible tweak. Retighten and see if the wobble went away.

Yeah the magic number is generally 6 years on bike tires....

killshot1

Reaction score
Visit site
ok thanks guys. I will start with new tires front and back just to rule it out and i will have them balanced as well. tbh i failed to look at the dates on the tires because the tread still looked decent. unsure how many miles are on them as i just got the bike but i was told the bike sat in a garage for years and the original owner never really rode it. I will take the tires off my self and have a garage install the rubber and i will check the steering head bearings and swing arm play as well. It will take me a couple weeks to get the extra funds and get the tires ordered in and i plan on doing the chain as well but i will report back after the new tires and chain are reinstalled.

Thanks again.

Mike

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing personal but what weight bracket would you place yourself in? Where I'm going with this is if the balance of the bike does not apply enough force to nose, it can flop like shopping cart caster.

Please verify the forks are seated near flush in the triple clamp +/- 5mm, and while up there, I would pull the forks and dump the oil. Refill w fresh Yamaha 10 to 15 wt and overfill them by a 30mm. It will improve the stability a good bit.

Also look at what setting the rear shock is at.