Yamaha 2013 demo weekend- pics and brief reviews

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
When I first saw the bolt I thought I was in love. Now it just looks like its too darn small, just like the sportster. I would love for someone to come out with something comparable to the V rod, and not charge 15 grand for it.

If the Bolt sells well, maybe a larger version will emerge. 942cc, just 45HP and a 3.2 gallon tank don't make for a practical bike outside city riding to me.

I bet it's a blast around town though.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Did a Yamaha ride a few weeks back. Slept in, so only got to ride the Tenere. Cool bike, pulled like a tractor, kept hitting the redline though. Advantage of doing the last ride of the day is everyone wanted to go home so the ride was a bit spirited :D Was fun keeping up with the sport bikes on the tractor

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Did a Yamaha ride a few weeks back. Slept in, so only got to ride the Tenere. Cool bike, pulled like a tractor, kept hitting the redline though. Advantage of doing the last ride of the day is everyone wanted to go home so the ride was a bit spirited :D Was fun keeping up with the sport bikes on the tractor

Yeah some runs were more spirited than others. FI's R1 run was a bit of a joke as he was being led by a marshal on a cruiser.

I was 2nd bike in the group on my FJR run behind the leader on an R6. I'd get the boat carefully around the corner at signals and the R6 would already be halfway down the road screaming. I didn't do much touring. Lots of chasing!

On the FZ1 run I think the marshals were hungry because it was the last run before lunch. There was a mad on-ramp to next exit off-ramp dash that had the whole group grinning and chuckling afterward back in the lot. Except the Yamaha guys who wouldn't say a word. Job done. :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah some runs were more spirited than others. FI's R1 run was a bit of a joke as he was being led by a marshal on a cruiser.

I was 2nd bike in the group on my FJR run behind the leader on an R6. I'd get the boat carefully around the corner at signals and the R6 would already be halfway down the road screaming. I didn't do much touring. Lots of chasing!

On the FZ1 run I think the marshals were hungry because it was the last run before lunch. There was a mad on-ramp to next exit off-ramp dash that had the whole group grinning and chuckling afterward back in the lot. Except the Yamaha guys who wouldn't say a word. Job done. :D

Reminds me of the on ramp on the R6, had the nose up just a bit in 2nd. Thankfully the lead dog was on it and out a ways so I could play!

To your point, I about ran over the lead guy on the R1. It was just starting to come on and the leader hit the interstate and locked to down to 55 mph. That ended that quick! R6 was vibration free compared to the R1. Wish our power delivery was as smooth as the R6.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds me of the on ramp on the R6, had the nose up just a bit in 2nd. Thankfully the lead dog was on it and out a ways so I could play!

To your point, I about ran over the lead guy on the R1. It was just starting to come on and the leader hit the interstate and locked to down to 55 mph. That ended that quick! R6 was vibration free compared to the R1. Wish our power delivery was as smooth as the R6.

Shame about the R1. I wanted to ask what you thought of that crossplane crank. Not the kind of buzz you'd expect out of Yamaha's flagship especially as it's supposed to be all about smooth linear power delivery.

I wonder if 2014 might finally be the year it goes into the FZ1. I can't see that bike going to a triple configuration.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shame about the R1. I wanted to ask what you thought of that crossplane crank. Not the kind of buzz you'd expect out of Yamaha's flagship especially as it's supposed to be all about smooth linear power delivery.

I wonder if 2014 might finally be the year it goes into the FZ1. I can't see that bike going to a triple configuration.

R1:
For one its not meant to be on the street as it really just wants to go. Because its so high geared take offs are b$tch and you end up slipping the clutch a good bit! Box was smooth and nice, but down low the engine had way more HEAVY vibes than I would have expected (heavy vibes, not our high frequency nuisance vibes)... It may very well smooth out in the happy spot past 7 ~ 8K and up, I don't know I never got it past 80 (I saw it at 4k about 40mph 1st). If i had to guess, I'd bet it does well over 110 in 1st gear. One thing I did notice was the heat from the tail. We should never complain about it on out bikes as this thing had radiant heat burning out the left side. Hint MUST WEAR full leathers! All controls were top notch and it fit me much better than the R6. Not near as much stomach muscle required to keep your wrists alive. I can't say anything about the suspension as we just didn't use it. Turn in didn't seem all that different than the R6 but we just didn't go that far!
I might sneak up to Vancouver this coming weekend and ride some other bikes...

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
R1:
For one its not meant to be on the street as it really just wants to go. Because its so high geared take offs are b$tch and you end up slipping the clutch a good bit! Box was smooth and nice, but down low the engine had way more HEAVY vibes than I would have expected (heavy vibes, not our high frequency nuisance vibes)... It may very well smooth out in the happy spot past 7 ~ 8K and up, I don't know I never got it past 80 (I saw it at 4k about 40mph 1st). If i had to guess, I'd bet it does well over 110 in 1st gear. One thing I did notice was the heat from the tail. We should never complain about it on out bikes as this thing had radiant heat burning out the left side. Hint MUST WEAR full leathers! All controls were top notch and it fit me much better than the R6. Not near as much stomach muscle required to keep your wrists alive. I can't say anything about the suspension as we just didn't use it. Turn in didn't seem all that different than the R6 but we just didn't go that far!
I might sneak up to Vancouver this coming weekend and ride some other bikes...

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

According to this it'll only do 97.5mph in first gear @ 13.75k redline. :D

Which bikes would you still want to check out in Vancouver? Maybe the loop will be better.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some Good Well Written articles on the R6 and how it makes that smooth power from idle to redline!

Variable intake volume, Dual fuel injectors, ECM adjusting everything to the millisecond. You're buying allot of technology. A great read for the techies....

2012 Yamaha YZF-R6 Review

2011 Yamaha YZF-R6

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone rode the FJR, I'm curious to hear what you thought of the steering. I just read my copy of the latest Cycle World, folded to fit inside my jacket for the ride home from the store of course, and they said it's steering was pretty bad -- that the bike tended to want to stand upright when leaned over.

I want to like that bike; If you demod the bike, what were your experiences?

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reviews guys! I probably won't buy another bike but it would be fun to ride some different ones. I never hear of those demo days. :rockon:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reviews guys! I probably won't buy another bike but it would be fun to ride some different ones. I never hear of those demo days. :rockon:

Yamaha didn't post it until the last minute. I very nearly missed it. If you or anyone wants a PM when the next one comes around, post up and we can all try to get the word out here.

It's almost like Yamaha don't want too many people to attend and none of the marshals were in Sales.

After riding all those bikes I'm in no hurry to replace the FZ6. It's still a powerful, light, great handling bike that I'm nowhere close to exploring the limits of. It did confirm I'd really like a lower, growlier exhaust note. Any one got a Leo Vince that needs a new home? :D

Spare a thought for the poor FZ6R I test rode last year as I don't think was ridden the whole weekend.