Yamaha 2013 demo weekend- pics and brief reviews

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha have demo days through the US, annually at their larger dealerships. No better place to ride the latest models side-by-side. I nearly missed it this year because I didn't see it had finally been posted until this week.

FinalImpact was able to join me. I think we did 4 runs each. Schedule link.

The scene:

i0qwhfgkLddim.JPG

Bikes bikes bikes and they're all free. For 10 miles at a time.

ijByA8ZZOIjmw.JPG

New for 2013: the Bolt

iSUdNqW7eHiS2.JPG

Updated for 2013: the FJR. I did one run on it.

i2QEZZA5SvgB4.JPG

The R6 unchanged. Guess who rode this.

ibun8wi9tRn8U6.JPG

The FZ1 also unchanged this year. I gave it a run.

iDWmfLcU5biH0.JPG

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride review: The doomed, outgoing FZ8.

I filled out the waiver and had to jump on the thing before the ink was dry. Zero time to feel out the controls.

Fortunately, the bike felt small, friendly and instantly manageable coming from the FZ6. Extra weight? I didn't feel it.

The clutch was smooth, 1st gear felt much more practical to stay in for longer. Smooth shifting and deeper growlier engine. I find the lower exhaust note more pleasant over the FZ6 and easier to hear w/ earplugs.

I enjoyed the ride so much I hopped on it for another run. Shame it's being scrapped so soon. One of the Yamaha marshals said it's a really sweet and underrated bike.

Ride review: The unchanged since 2006, FZ1.

I have the FZ1 bar on my FZ6 and felt instantly at home on this bike. Again, clutch felt better, shifting nice and smooth, liking the 1st gear and deeper, growlier engine.

Power-wise, it was an FZ6 on steroids as you'd imagine. Seemed to be more revvy and like higher RPMs like the FZ6. The FZ8 had a more relaxed engine character and power delivery.

Lots of wind noise vs. the naked FZ8 that had been quiet with clean air hitting my chest and helmet. I'm 6'.

Both the FZ8 and FZ1 felt easy to ride except for the huge slack on the throttle on the FZ1 that I'd immediately take up.

Ride review: 2013 FJR.

I found after riding bikes for a couple of years they shrink in your mind as your confidence grows. The FJR had also shrunk. Until I swung my leg over it.

The thing is WIDE. Riding position was the most comfortable than any I've ridden.

The hydraulic clutch was light and it appeared to still have traditional throttle cables. 2 power modes: Sport and Touring.

The last rider said it was a bit snatchy and powerful. Sure enough, it had been left on "Sport". I made sure it was on "Touring".

I didn't feel the weight but I really did feel the bulk at low speeds. After it get going it felt like it needed more effort to turn. I'm sure that would improve with confidence and seat time on it.

Power felt plentiful yet restrained on the Touring setting. Extremely smooth gearbox, clutch and very quiet engine. Nice to have a gear indicator on the dash. Also has a new digital speedo this year.

A cruiser rider in full stereotypical cruiser gear hopped on it on the next session then exclaimed to his buddies: "I love everything about this bike! Except you're riding on your balls." :D

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Demo incident: The Yamaha that "broke down"

Mr Vespa rode in to the event and picked out a nice shiny blue Star cruiser. On a ride attended by FinalImpact, it mysteriously "broke down". I was taking a break and shooting pics.

The rider abandoned the bike on the route, hitching a ride 2up on another. When he got back he claimed the gearbox was jammed. Then he took off.

As news of the incident spread in the parking lot, 2 Yamaha employees took off to find the abandoned cruiser and recover it (pictured here):

idmQ4QFgBKFtk.JPG

The Star cruiser, having had a rest on the side of the road, behaved itself for the Yamaha ride marshal and rolled into the lot.

The event manager then jumped on the suspect bike and thrashed it around the parking lot, scraping footboards in front of the small curious crowd.

ibmJvWm0cGPdGK.JPG

"There's nothing wrong with that bike", he said. "Now where is the rider? Didn't he come in on a scooter?" :D

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^Perhaps his balls had a bad reaction to the Star. Should've tried the FJR to make sure they didn't go missing. :ban:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"That's not a jammed gearbox...it's just in neutral". It happened, no doubt, when he tried to upshift from first on the freeway.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Demo incident: The Yamaha that "broke down"

Mr Vespa rode in to the event and picked out a nice shiny blue Star cruiser. On a ride attended by FinalImpact, it mysteriously "broke down". I was taking a break and shooting pics.

The rider abandoned the bike on the route, hitching a ride 2up on another. When he got back he claimed the gearbox was jammed. Then he took off.

As news of the incident spread in the parking lot, 2 Yamaha employees took off to find the abandoned cruiser and recover it (pictured here):

idmQ4QFgBKFtk.JPG

The Star cruiser, having had a rest on the side of the road, behaved itself for the Yamaha ride marshal and rolled into the lot.

The event manager then jumped on the suspect bike and thrashed it around the parking lot, scraping footboards in front of the small curious crowd.

ibmJvWm0cGPdGK.JPG

"There's nothing wrong with that bike", he said. "Now where is the rider? Didn't he come in on a scooter?" :D

A Vesssssssspa to be more specific! lol Our group had to wait on the side of the road. Kinda eerie as I thought someone behind us dumped it. Especially after watching a newbie go wide and into the gravel on the previous run.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
A Vesssssssspa to be more specific! lol Our group had to wait on the side of the road. Kinda eerie as I thought someone behind us dumped it. Especially after watching a newbie go wide and into the gravel on the previous run.

Hey Randy. Do you mind if I post the pics of you riding the Tenere? You look rather anonymous in full gear and tinted visor. :D

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
"You call this a pre-ride safety meeting? It didn't even cover the gearbox. Or how to work a clutch." --Mr Vespa

The 30 sec blurb was pretty weak on their part. I don't know that they even asked if anyone had actually ridden bike! Ya, they held an endorsement but that does tell much of a story!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
PS - your Nikon takes great pictures!! And what of you and the ones I took? Post?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
PS - your Nikon takes great pictures!! And what of you and the ones I took? Post?

Yes, my Nikon thanks you. It shoots auto even in manual and somehow does its own post-processing. ;)

The pics of me turned out horrible. I need a helmet and visor like yours to be Internet friendly and cover my ugly mug. :D

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics & thanks for sharing :thumbup:... One question though , what is the Bolt all about ?? Give us a run down on that , she isnt here in Oz !!

It was introduced as a lightweight cruiser to compete with the Harley Sportster. Classic styling yet modern technology and good handling.

Interestingly it has a base and an "R" spec that has better suspension. It would be great if Yamaha offered "R" spec Fazer options.

I sat on the Bolt and it was too alien for me. Massively fat grips and sitting back with legs wide open would take some getting used to.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEtRtIvpIZA]Bolt by Star Motorcycles - YouTube[/ame]

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, my Nikon thanks you. It shoots auto even in manual and somehow does its own post-processing. ;)

The pics of me turned out horrible. I need a helmet and visor like yours to be Internet friendly and cover my ugly mug. :D

^^ haha!

I saw you with camera in hand an flipped that visor right back down just for this reason! :rockon:

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first saw the bolt I thought I was in love. Now it just looks like its too darn small, just like the sportster. I would love for someone to come out with something comparable to the V rod, and not charge 15 grand for it.