Yamaha Demo Day- FZ-09 test ride

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode the FZ-09 today at a demo event. Many more bikes this year- 3 FZ09s, 2 FJRs, at least 2 Teneres. FZ8 is gone.

I was warned several times that the throttle is twitchy. I said my FZ6 is the same and it's taught me to be smooth so I should be alright.

Yikes STD mode was awful. It was smooth where the FZ6 is twitchy (roll-on from closed throttle) and twitchy where the FZ6 is smooth at odd spots in the RPM range - notably around 4-5k RPM. It was like the throttle would be cut with significant engine braking then the bike would surge with a touch more gas- yet the throttle was no-where near closed.

Near the end of the test ride I switched to B mode but not enough time to comment on it really. Ignoring its bad spot for a moment I really liked the character of the engine and its power. Nice to ride a bike that doesn't feel as busy as the FZ6 with its power locked up in strictly the high RPM range.

Other thoughts:
  • 1st gear was so much more pleasant and usable than the FZ6.
  • Nice light smooth clutch.
  • I like my wind protection!
  • I much prefer my analog tach vs the digital.
  • Handlebar is nice- has very little sweep to it.
  • Bike feels tiny with a narrow tank that was slippery against my mesh suit.
  • The ergos suit much smaller riders- at 6' I was too large to sit forward enough to get comfortable and squeeze the tank at all.
  • The motor has heaps of power- you can tell it has a lot of potential.
  • The Yamaha guys (who aren't salesmen) say it really needs a new map and then it becomes a completely different bike.

Pics- The first #FZ9 isn't the demo- the owner of this one rode in to test ride the new gen FJR. He actually mounted an old FJR windshield to his 9, fabricating his own mount.

iHREly8feuRPn.jpg

iECpvqjPhEnnW.jpg

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably because you were riding the faster red version. ;)

Seriously, though, B-mode is FANTASTIC for commuting. STD is great for everything else, and A-mode is just a hooligan machine!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics Darius :thumbup:

I really want to like this bike, but after sitting on it I found it too narrow to feel like a real bike :eek: maybe I should take one for a spin before making my mind up.
The trouble is I live miles from decent roads so I need more of a sport tourer to even get there, I mainly use my FZ for commuting and like you I also appreciate the wind protection.
I really hope they put this engine in a more sport tourer type of bike with a different tank, saddle and fairing (maybe the new FJ-09).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty much spot on with what I thought about it after I rode it. Though you said nothing about suspension, which I thought was seriously squishy and damping-less.

Very easy and inexpensive to turn that bike into a really killer machine.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I really hope they put this engine in a more sport tourer type of bike with a different tank, saddle and fairing (maybe the new FJ-09).

Larger tank, wind protection and hopefully dual headlights- yes hopefully that materializes later this year. ABS would be nice, too.

Pretty much spot on with what I thought about it after I rode it. Though you said nothing about suspension, which I thought was seriously squishy and damping-less.

At 170lbs the suspension felt plush over even the rougher roads on the demo so pushing the bike hard would need a firmer set-up.

I also didn't mention handling- the bike felt light and easy to turn. It doesn't have that top-heavy feel of the FZ6.

FinalImpact might jump on one today if he gets the chance so maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact might jump on one today if he gets the chance so maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts.

I bet he'll notice the lacking suspension, if the demo loop has some curves and bumps.. having done all the work on his bike.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site

You're talking like someone who rode a real FZ-09! Blah

Fueling issues can be fixed for $125.00 and throwing another $500.00 in suspension make this bike a killer ride for the street!

On the side note... I upgrade my front valving and went with stiffer springs all around. Bike is much better now over bump and doesn't dive as much/fast on braking.

Now I need new shoes. The Conti Motion are great commuting rubber in the dry but quite evil in the rain. I got some wheel spin @ 60 mph the other day in mode A and even in mode B (slow mode) the other day rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear (didn't hammer the throttle...)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I need new shoes. The Conti Motion are great commuting rubber in the dry but quite evil in the rain. I got some wheel spin @ 60 mph the other day in mode A and even in mode B (slow mode) the other day rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear (didn't hammer the throttle...)

That bike's got so much torque and so little weight.. I don't know if any tire is going to win the spin-up battle in the rain!

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
That bike's got so much torque and so little weight.. I don't know if any tire is going to win the spin-up battle in the rain!

Plus I'm sure the wheelbase is on the shorter side. I got the warning that the front wheel lifts easy.

I gave it plenty of gas in 2nd gear but no accidental wheelies. A certain rider got some air on the R6 last year but I won't name names. Guess who.. Blah

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me start off by saying you good people could have lost me today. I was doing a once over of the 09 I was to ride and saw the lower triple had lost its bolts on the left side. The stanchion had been moving a hair; Its what caught my eye. Actually the 2 lower bolts where there, but doing nothing. Gravity was holding them in. I call total fail on their tech inspection!!! SHAME SHAME!!!!

History: I guess a guy dumped that one in Texas in late February with a Lowside at 18mph. Went wide, hit the brakes and slid it out. It was repaired BUT SOMEONE F%%CKED UP!!!!

Its your life people, INSPECT everything you ride!

So I took a Red one instead!:eek:
Likes: Torque. It pulls low and strong, and is very linear in nature. No crazy wild hair at 8K "look at me now stuff". I could really love the power plant but the throttle is all snatchy. I mean, a person could get used to it, but Flash it sooner than later so you can enjoy what it has to offer.
Its a fun bike with allot of potential plus its wheelies in other gears which feeds us adrenaline junkies, plus its very predictable in nature. I see the stunt boys snatching these up as the nose it so light it just comes up.
I'm guessing I'm sitting forward just a bit more so the loss of the fairing makes the nose noticeably dainty.
Even with no fly screen it'd be great little canyon carver as the air is pretty virgin like when it hits you. Long rides at sustained speeds over 80 would beat you down but 70, 75 wasn't too bad.
Brakes are good. Nothing extraordinary but I don't like the suspension.

The Bad:
Its soft and it bottoms easily but thankfully both ends are in harmony doing the same action at the same time. In the corners it wants to fall in and its light and nimble but takes a little effort to fall it (minor adjustments), but this is a demo bike in its OEM trim, tires, setup, etc. You could ride it this way and many will be vary happy as is but I'm certain dropping the nose and getting better control of the damping rates for both compression and rebound would make it more compliant and predictable. Also, sitting a littler further forward changes ones perception of smooth turn-in so that may be playing a role too. IMO - its just soft and uses up too much travel when pushed or hitting larger bumps/sink-holes etc.

For me at 5,10" 32" inseam the OEM ergo's suck. Levers where all way to high (both top and bottom) and you really notice this going from a bike you tweak to fit yourself to one that doesn't fit at all. What was very unsuspecting was the seat angle. It looks good like its flat but I just kept sliding forward. For me this bike seemed a bit more cramped so perhaps a new rear sets and work on the seat plus basic tweaking of lever angles and rider would be happy.

Its beast in in the making tho! You can squirt right out of turn and stand it up and be ripping! IMO it has allot of potential.

Hands down my FZ6 suspension has this beat for cornering compliance and ride stability. Loosing weight up front and off the top would make it insanely flickable and I love how it plays now but it will never pull like the 09 does! So, if the suspension had $1000 thrown at it and some exhaust (its graveyard quiet), plus a flash on the ECM, I'd say its building block with a ton of track potential!

Ride involved;
Freeway, up hill, minor down hill, tight low speed turns, sweepers, bumps, dips, long straights, traffic lights. Way better than last years route!

PS - The FZ6 clutch on mine is very predictable. I was looking forward to getting back on my bike for its short throw! I love it!

Shall we talk about the V-MAX??? haha! OH MY GOD! What a BEAST!!! You'd think I just lost my virginity when the shift light came on! And it handles OK too for being such a big pig! You just don't want to be going under 30 as the steering is so heavy... If someone wants me to add in some details I'll make a post.
It was indeed a BLAST to ride tho! If you have a need for Acceleration, Grab a Handful on that chubby boy! Thankfully the nose is so heavy it doesn't just fly up, but it will! I'd pay a dollar a mile to do that again! What a Hoot! :D
Added some info here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/what-i-learned-today/52797-grins-per-second-v-max-ftw.html

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me start off by saying you good people could have lost me today. I was doing a once over of the 09 I was to ride and saw the lower triple had lost its bolts on the left side. The stanchion had just been moving a hair. Its what caught my eye. Actually the 2 lower bolts where there, but doing nothing. Gravity was holding them in. Total fail on their tech inspection!!! SHAME SHAME!!!!

I guess a guy dumped that one in Texas in late Feb! Lowside at 18mph. Went wide, hit the brakes and it was repaired. BUT SOMEONE F%%CKED UP!!!!

Its your life people! INSPECT everything you ride!

Eek :eek: Good save. Could well have saved a serious injury or worse for another customer as well. Unable to rep.

After you pointed that out, I hope they checked all the bikes.

I knew you'd like the route. For my ride the leading marshal was on the V-max. Yep that thing seriously hauls.

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
We know this bike as the MT-09 over here

All the reports read very similar to what has been said here, personally I think its a great looking bike but the twitchy throttle and suspension issues put me off. Why should a buyer have to shell out further to make a bike useable?

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

All the reports read very similar to what has been said here, personally I think its a great looking bike but the twitchy throttle and suspension issues put me off. Why should a buyer have to shell out further to make a bike useable?

The bike is made for a specific price point and they cheaped out a bit on suspension.. standard practice.

It's a shame they don't make an R spec option like Triumph do. Actually Yamaha does this with their new Bolt but not their FZ9 sport bike? Bizarre.. but maybe Yamaha will be there soon.

I suspect the throttle has a lot to do with running a bit lean to meet emissions, yet Triumph have been able to make theirs work.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Go back to 04 - 09, same deal on the 6. Great entry level bike at an affordable price.

I'm likely being harsh on the suspension as I want what I want. I have expectations. So keep in mind that 2/3's or more of the members here are HAPPY with the Fizzer in stock trim and that's OK as it comes down to intend use and expectations. So, if you're happy with the Fizzer, you'll be happy with this (suspension wise) as the -09's suspension is BETTER than our bikes ever was.

A couple things I didn't mention;
The controls for turn indicators, mode switching, hazards, etc are IMO tiny and cramped. Frankly the display is just plain hard to read as its pretty busy and not lit well. Perhaps lacking contrast in the bright sun. i.e. hard to read in all but optimal conditions. Like Chris said; the analog Tach on our bikes is very nice (S2).

As for fuel delivery; I'm guessing that's how they get their 55 mpg advertised rating. But its pretty choppy. Makes our bike feel pretty nice but we're giving up torque and instant throttle response! I'm pretty sure I'd get used to it and accept the trade-off if given the option!

Lets put it this way; some people will mod stuff and some won't. Given either chassis as ground zero to build from, I'd take that one. It has more potential. It however would NOT be a good candidate for 2 up touring. That would take a fair amount of doing....

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Go back to 04 - 09, same deal on the 6. Great entry level bike at an affordable price.

I'm likely being harsh on the suspension as I want what I want. I have expectations. So keep in mind that 2/3's or more of the members here are HAPPY with the Fizzer in stock trim and that's OK as it comes down to intend use and expectations. So, if you're happy with the Fizzer, you'll be happy with this (suspension wise) as the -09's suspension is BETTER than our bikes ever was.

A couple things I didn't mention;
The controls for turn indicators, mode switching, hazards, etc are IMO tiny and cramped. Frankly the display is just plain hard as its pretty busy and not lit well. Perhaps lacking contrast in the bright sun. i.e. hard to read in all but optimal conditions. Like Chris said the analog Tach on our bikes is very nice (S2).

As for fuel delivery; I'm guessing that's how they get their 55 mpg advertised rating. But its pretty choppy. Makes our bike feel pretty nice but we're giving up torque and instant throttle response! I'm pretty sure I'd get used to it and accept the trade-off if given the option!

Lets put it this way; some people will mod stuff and some won't. Given either chassis as ground zero to build from, I'd take that one. It has more potential. It however would NOT be a good candidate for 2 up touring. That would take a fair amount of doing....

The brightness on the dash is adjustable. I got a PZ Racing shift light, that fix the tach problem for me. MPG's... I have no freaking idea where they got 55 MPG? Not like riding this bike slowly is doable! Blah I'm getting low 40's all day long mix riding. Milking it I got 47 MPG in B mode @ 70 MPH cruising. That put me at 150ish miles on the tank with about 18 miles on reserve.

Take the 09 and the front end can be fix for $250.00 or so (damping/springs)
Rear shock ZX-10, ZX6RR and some cheap option (under $150.00 on fleebay)
Or Penskee has 3 shock available from $500-1200

Flash ECU $125.00

All that for under $500.00 and you have a hell of a ride for the price. Then comes exhaust, fuel controller and all the other goodies.

Personally I would rather buy a bike cheaper and do my own personalize update. So I pay for what I need. Honestly, modding the bike is part of the ownership. :rockon:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The brightness on the dash is adjustable. I got a PZ Racing shift light, that fix the tach problem for me. MPG's... I have no freaking idea where they got 55 MPG? Not like riding this bike slowly is doable! Blah I'm getting low 40's all day long mix riding. Milking it I got 47 MPG in B mode @ 70 MPH cruising. That put me at 150ish miles on the tank with about 18 miles on reserve.

Take the 09 and the front end can be fix for $250.00 or so (damping/springs)
Rear shock ZX-10, ZX6RR and some cheap option (under $150.00 on fleebay)
Or Penskee has 3 shock available from $500-1200

Flash ECU $125.00

All that for under $500.00 and you have a hell of a ride for the price. Then comes exhaust, fuel controller and all the other goodies.

Personally I would rather buy a bike cheaper and do my own personalize update. So I pay for what I need. Honestly, modding the bike is part of the ownership. :rockon:

^^ Agreed! IMO its an awesome base to build from. As said, given the 6 or the 09 as starting point - they both have the same drawbacks, but one has Good Mill between your legs which makes usable torque! Sign me up!

Who flashes the ECU for 125?? Unleashed or someone else?
Also, how are folks doing with these? They running them off the road at a higher rate or being sane and keeping the nose on the ground?

PS - I made some edits to my OP to better reflect what I felt...

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
^^ Agreed! IMO its an awesome base to build from. As said, given the 6 or the 09 as starting point - they both have the same drawbacks, but one has Good Mill between your legs which makes usable torque! Sign me up!

Who flashes the ECU for 125?? Unleashed or someone else?
Also, how are folks doing with these? They running them off the road at a higher rate or being sane and keeping the nose on the ground?

PS - I made some edits to my OP to better reflect what I felt...

Nick @ Stoltec Moto kind of sort out the bike really good. From doing his own Flash ECU (mod from FlashTune) to great suspension upgrade and few other bits in between. He re-valve the fork and upgrade the springs for your needs.

And me, well doing exhaust! Worked with Dolbeck with there EJK controller to get it tune for the FZ09 (first tuner available for customer... and first customer exhaust) Still working with them to integrate a O2 sensor offset to fix the last 5% of the map that is not perfect... 14.7 AFR on E10 is a bit lean IMO.

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Nick @ Stoltec Moto kind of sort out the bike really good. From doing his own Flash ECU (mod from FlashTune) to great suspension upgrade and few other bits in between. He re-valve the fork and upgrade the springs for your needs.

And me, well doing exhaust! Worked with Dolbeck with there EJK controller to get it tune for the FZ09 (first tuner available for customer... and first customer exhaust) Still working with them to integrate a O2 sensor offset to fix the last 5% of the map that is not perfect... 14.7 AFR on E10 is a bit lean IMO.

New exhaust looks very nice, good job :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
This bike wasn't built for touring. Straight up street bike. That's it. Perfect for me because I really don't play a whole lot of trips where I actually need bags. ( unless I want to go to the beer store in a dry county) LOL