Yamaha R3

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This morning I went to my local Yamaha dealer to collect a new clutch cable for my FZ, I figured after 11 years it was probably due a new one.

Anyway, on their floor they had 4 blue R3s. What a stunning little bike! I immediately thought that this would be a great re-starter for my wife, and something that I wouldn't mind riding occasionally too.

I did a search for a thread on this bike but the search engine is :Flip:

2015 Yamaha YZF-R3

Check the video with Colin and Mrs Edwards.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very cute bike indeed. I got to sit on one, but unfortunately wasn't able to take one for a spin. Very very similar to Ninja 300, which I've ridden few times and liked very much.

I'd love to see how R3 compares, riding-wise.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Part of me actually kind of wants one, but I should probably just get an R6 instead.

I'm almost maybe thinking about picking up a Ninja 300 to see if I can live with a low power bike. Then maybe trading that for a R3 after a year or so.

Last edited:

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Part of me actually kind of wants one, but I should probably just get an R6 instead.

I'm almost maybe thinking about picking up a Ninja 300 to see if I can live with a low power bike. Then maybe trading that for a R3 after a year or so.

My little brother still has his black 300 ABS. He may let you take it for a spin sometime if we all meet up.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
My little brother still has his black 300 ABS. He may let you take it for a spin sometime if we all meet up.

We should do it!

By the way, I love the red R3.

R3_3.jpg

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode the european version (eu3 norms suited 250cc engine and bike's name is r25).

So far so good in 250 cc class, it's power is stunning after 8k rpm. 14k rpm is un-believable for twin 250 cc. small petrol tank is easy to grab, low seat and riding position is very user-friendly.

It is very well bike for starters like your wife but... after living 2.5 years with fz6, r25/r3's taste is like tofu.

Shift-light, avg fuel cons. meter, engine sound etc etc this bike is brillant.

Also I amazed the headlights and did bi-xenon mod to my fz6s. it pushed me hard because after riding r25, I noticed it's time to improve fz6's headlight :)

I'm not liked only front brake, it's really numb like bone stock fz6 s1, I recommend to upgrade brake lines to braided ones.

Also, tyre's are trash because they are nylon (irc roadwinner's are on bike in Turkey).

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking.... there's actually some demo rides coming up in June in my neck of the woods.

I can probably scoop up a ride on the R3, get a feel for how much pull it has.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode the european version (eu3 norms suited 250cc engine and bike's name is r25).

So far so good in 250 cc class, it's power is stunning after 8k rpm. 14k rpm is un-believable for twin 250 cc. small petrol tank is easy to grab, low seat and riding position is very user-friendly.

It is very well bike for starters like your wife but... after living 2.5 years with fz6, r25/r3's taste is like tofu.

I like the Yamaha the most out of this class of bikes. It is a twin, where most other brands are singles. But I keep thinking, for the price of a new R3, I could buy a nice used 600cc super sport.

This space intentionally left blank.

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I may have found my commuter for when I move to the mountains. The bike looks sexy. Wanna know how it rides. Will keep my fz. I'm kinda find of her.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I may have found my commuter for when I move to the mountains. The bike looks sexy. Wanna know how it rides. Will keep my fz. I'm kinda find of her.
I'd like to try the RC390 and R3 one day though just for fun because I can never get enough of small motorcycles. I think the CBR300 is probably a let down based on specs alone and how unsatisfied I was with the CBR250 I rode a couple weeks ago.

Just rode a friend's Ninja 300 home from north jersey for her and it was a lot fun under 85, almost seemed slower than my old Ninja 250 above 85 though. Not that that's super important it was just odd to me, they must have tuned for more even more usable power under that, much like how they did for the second gen Nin250's, and my old one was the first gen which put all the focus on peak power.