04 FZ6 stalling

gunner

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day guys!
New here and it's my first post. Just acquired a used 04 FZ6 two weeks ago mileage is at 28k kms or around 17.5k miles. Rode the bike home and it goes all well.. A week after it started stalling when coming to a stop and pulling the clutch. The problem comes out when you've been riding the bike for atleast 15mins. When it stalls, it just start right away but you have to control the throttle so it wont die but if you turn the ignition off and start it the idle goes to its normal range. TPS value is 15 close and 99 full open so TPS is not busted i think.
What do you guys think??
Please help.. by the way im from the philippines.
Thanks!

Do some searching on here this is a common problem. It was happening to me but I can't remember what the issue was. It was a simple fix though. Pretty sure the idle was too low .

Do some searching on here this is a common problem. It was happening to me but I can't remember what the issue was. It was a simple fix though. Pretty sure the idle was too low .

Thanks for the quick reply.
I've set the idle at 1350 rpm normal operating temperature. Read one thread that although the diagnose reading of the TPS is at normal range he replaced it and the problem went away..
So i'm assuming that TPS may be the culprit?

My first guess was TPS as well. It's been a while since I've been very active on these boards though, so I may have missed something new.

My first guess was TPS as well. It's been a while since I've been very active on these boards though, so I may have missed something new.

Thanks 04fizzer!

Another question is can i still avail of the recall on the TPS? Bike was imported in the philippines brand new by a grey market motorcycle dealer.

Thanks 04fizzer!

Another question is can i still avail of the recall on the TPS? Bike was imported in the philippines brand new by a grey market motorcycle dealer.

I honestly can't answer that for you. You'd have to contact Yamaha or a Yamaha dealer where you are to find out.

I honestly can't answer that for you. You'd have to contact Yamaha or a Yamaha dealer where you are to find out.

There are yamaha dealers in here but they only cater for small bike such as underbone and scooters.. they never sell big bikes. Can anyone help on where i can possible get the replacement for the TPS?

Decided to check first the spark plugs. Installed was a NGK Iridium plugs. Tips color is dark brown and around it is black. So its running rich. This why i'm consuming so much gas. What other things happen when you are running rich?

There are yamaha dealers in here but they only cater for small bike such as underbone and scooters.. they never sell big bikes. Can anyone help on where i can possible get the replacement for the TPS?

You could order the TPS online but please check other possible problems like a possible vacuum leak. Iridium plugs should be set to the proper gap called out in the service manual but you must be careful not to break the small iridium tip.
Check out NGK on youtube for videos on technique to adjust Iridium plugs.
There are so many failure on the bike that can cause the same symptom.
Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

You could order the TPS online but please check other possible problems like a possible vacuum leak. Iridium plugs should be set to the proper gap called out in the service manual but you must be careful not to break the small iridium tip.
Check out NGK on youtube for videos on technique to adjust Iridium plugs.
There are so many failure on the bike that can cause the same symptom.
Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

Yes i'm basically trying to have knowledge on all possible causes. This forum really giving me soo much info.
I think i will replace the iridium plugs to the original spec which is CR9EK and start from there.. Is the fuel pump and fuel filter also to be considered on the stalling issue? the vacuum that connected to the fuel rail?
Thanks a lot for the inputs!

Yes i'm basically trying to have knowledge on all possible causes. This forum really giving me soo much info.
I think i will replace the iridium plugs to the original spec which is CR9EK and start from there.. Is the fuel pump and fuel filter also to be considered on the stalling issue? the vacuum that connected to the fuel rail?
Thanks a lot for the inputs!

I would lift the tank and check all lines. Check your airbox and air filter. Rodents will sometimes crawl up your bike and nest or gnaw through wire or hoses. Make sure you see 13-14 volt DC at the battery while at 2000-3000 rpm and above 12 vdc at idle. Check for the obvious. Sometimes the kill switch on the FZ6 will go intermittent and at specific vibration will vary the voltage/current.
You can jump the 2 wires at the kill switch and ride the bike to eliminate the kill switch.

Check your side stand switch! One of our members recently had an intermittent side stand switch problem and it had the similar effects. :)

kaniguan suwerte :D

Last edited:
I would lift the tank and check all lines. Check your airbox and air filter. Rodents will sometimes crawl up your bike and nest or gnaw through wire or hoses. Make sure you see 13-14 volt DC at the battery while at 2000-3000 rpm and above 12 vdc at idle. Check for the obvious. Sometimes the kill switch on the FZ6 will go intermittent and at specific vibration will vary the voltage/current.
You can jump the 2 wires at the kill switch and ride the bike to eliminate the kill switch.

Check your side stand switch! One of our members recently had an intermittent side stand switch problem and it had the similar effects. :)

kaniguan suwerte :D

Lifted the tank and removed the air filter box. air cleaner is clean and all hoses are good. that would be my next step... to check the switches.
Thanks again motogiro!

Problem is intermittent. Used the bike yesterday with no stalling and low idle issue. Used it again today and it stalled! Also the check engine lights up for one to two seconds a few times.:confused:
How can i check and diagnose using the instrument gauge?

My 2004 had the stalling problem when the TPS was starting to fail, probably some time back around 2006.

The bike would be running fine, then I'd pull the clutch in to roll to a stop and it would stall.

Yamaha had a recall on this for the 2004's, and the replacement TPS completely solved the problem. Not only that, the new TPS really helped with the throttle feel.

Have you checked the kill switch ?

Give it a tap and a gentle push on the off side of the switch (without actually switching the switch) while the engine is running and see if the engine shuts off.

Thanks for the reply guys! Does a 2006 fz1 has the same TPS on my 04 fz6? a friend has a fz1 and ill try to borrow the TPS and put it in my bike.

I just did a quick look on Ron Ayers site for the part numbers. It looks like the 06 FZ1 was carbs. Later FZ1 microfiche is showing 2 different controls for throttle position.

Search the forum here in the for sale section and you may find a bike being parted out for the TPS... :)

Back