05 R6 motor swap into my 06 fz6 in progress

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool project. If you can use the R6 ECU and intake system do it. To get everything out of the motor you need to spin it to 14,500. "Redline" is 17, 500 but power drops off past 15k so there is no point in spinning it up any higher.

I love my '05 R6 on the track, soooo much fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Does the 05 really redline that high I thought it was 16krpm I need to get back on this project between the heat and life I kinda stalled on it the next few days will be productive as long as my eye heals up!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The R6 only uses 4 injectors well 03-05 and the later years r6s I have worked plenty recently unless I happen to be over looking the second set I will snap some pics later!
The ignition mapping and the added fuel from the ecu being already tuned for the R6 motor is why I am going to go ahead and swap in the whole r6 set up I was only worried about figuring out how to do the return line off the fuel regulator to the gas tank and it looks like I can just swap the fuel pump to a R6 unit and keep my Fz6 tank!

Yes all the factory Fz6 mounts were retained the R6 has 2 extra mounts that the Fz6 does not have so I left those alone! The front mount clutch side had to be shaved down as did the upper rear mount by the seat had to be shaved down!

My next endavor will be mounting a R1 motor into a FZ8 who wants to donate the bike!

Kind of almost done! 2008 R1 cams fit right in! The gasket that goes between the cylinder and block are the same PN. But that still have to be proven. I made a midship exhaust for the FZ8 and help out with the tune. Bike is sick!!! Still figuring out the proper cam timing (think we're right spot on now... need dyno) The latest numbers were 112WHP and 57 Ft.Lb. But the cams were way too aggressive, now we pick up a tone of mid range. Anything above 50% throttle in the first 2 gears get the front wheel off the ground! My buddy rode over the weekend with his friend. He had to stop on the side of the road and wait for him! LOL

So basically all you need is an exhaust, PCV, R1 cams, all 3 cams gear and timing chain. The stock exhaust design is pretty $hitty! Even with the TB slip-on it kill the mid range.

By the way... GREAT WORK! Pretty amazing project!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of almost done! 2008 R1 cams fit right in! The gasket that goes between the cylinder and block are the same PN. But that still have to be proven. I made a midship exhaust for the FZ8 and help out with the tune. Bike is sick!!! Still figuring out the proper cam timing (think we're right spot on now... need dyno) The latest numbers were 112WHP and 57 Ft.Lb. But the cams were way too aggressive, now we pick up a tone of mid range. Anything above 50% throttle in the first 2 gears get the front wheel off the ground! My buddy rode over the weekend with his friend. He had to stop on the side of the road and wait for him! LOL

So basically all you need is an exhaust, PCV, R1 cams, all 3 cams gear and timing chain. The stock exhaust design is pretty $hitty! Even with the TB slip-on it kill the mid range.

By the way... GREAT WORK! Pretty amazing project!
I am hoping for 105hp at the wheel Id be happy! I am jealous of the FZ8 If I had it I would put the whole R1 motor in it I will make it fit and be correct! I wish I had more funding to do builds like these I love doing this stuff Its my passion! I am scooping up a 06 R6R swingarm in a few days and I am going to fab up a shock linkage sadly though after I get done with the motor and tuning I have a buddy in Georgia that is going to buy and finish it!

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
The tach is marked at 17,500 and you can set the shift warning light to whatever limit you wish.

That said Yamaha lost a class action law suit on optimistic rev-counters, they inflated the reads to hit the "magic" 17,500 mark for the magazines.

When you get it on the dyno for tuning you'll be able to see when your motor and configuration peaks. Without the '05 airbox, really a beautiful design, I'm not sure what you'll peak at. My bike peaked at 14,5 and tapered off nicely for another 1,000 rpm. Important for long sweepers where you may not be able to shift.

102 on a DynoJet is probably doable, on a Factory Pro dyno, no.

My '05 is a built ex-AMA racer (milled head, matched and balanced parts, full Arrow exhaust, PC3 with a tune, KIT ECU, etc.) and we pulled 102 on a Factory Pro, on a DynoJet that's about 114 to 116ish. Not bad for a motor with a fair number of track miles.

What exhaust are you using? I would think a slip-on and a CAT eliminator would be a minimum. I like the addition of cross over tubes that aftermarket headers add. They help take some of the edge off the peaky power band.

Regardless, keep us in the loop! :D
I was going to do a custom underbike exhuast out of the factory R6 headers as soon as my eye gets alittle better I am gonna get back on it so prob tomorrow!!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to do a custom underbike exhuast out of the factory R6 headers as soon as my eye gets alittle better I am gonna get back on it so prob tomorrow!!

You can get those headers for dirt cheap. Just bang a slip-on to it and you are done. There's a few slip-on options. I used the Viper 20cm micro can for a while, now I got some Danmoto Jusi tri oval slip-on custom made for my application. 12" long with 2" inlet. It comes with a DBKiller for $200.00 + shipping.

Here's a pic of the Danmoto on my ride (Yellow FZ6R) and a pic of the midship exhaust set up on the FZ8. I change things a bit on the FZ8... that was my first one. I did that without the bike...

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
You can get those headers for dirt cheap. Just bang a slip-on to it and you are done. There's a few slip-on options. I used the Viper 20cm micro can for a while, now I got some Danmoto Jusi tri oval slip-on custom made for my application. 12" long with 2" inlet. It comes with a DBKiller for $200.00 + shipping.

Here's a pic of the Danmoto on my ride (Yellow FZ6R) and a pic of the midship exhaust set up on the FZ8. I change things a bit on the FZ8... that was my first one. I did that without the bike...

I put a m4 on my 2013 636 I like it a tad loud but its a good pipe! My neighbor got a Coffmans Exhuast slip on for her 08 R6s that is pretty small and sounds decent not near as deep as my M4 or a 2 bros pipe but defiantly better than stock!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Subscribed! :thumbup:

I would think you will have to run the R6 throttle bodies and ECU for the engine to run correct since the R6 has higher compression and different stroke than the FZ6 motor.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Subscribed! :thumbup:

I would think you will have to run the R6 throttle bodies and ECU for the engine to run correct since the R6 has higher compression and different stroke than the FZ6 motor.
Same bore and stroke just higher compression ratio and different head and cams the fz6 throttle bodies will work but the ecu will need to be tuned with either bizazz or a pcv with a higher budget I could go with those and reuse factory fuel system! Although I went to the garage found the bike on its side with some parts broken :confused: so im throwing in the towel for now

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It fell over???

For some reason I feel ripped off. I was really looking forward to seeing how is would come out.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
It fell over???

For some reason I feel ripped off. I was really looking forward to seeing how is would come out.

Yea it was laying on its side I have the forks off of it replacing the fork seals I got the wrong seals had to reorder new ones I went out the garage to do some work to it and it had fell over it was on the center stand and a jack under the oil pan and balanced decently or so I thought :banghead: Oh well I was just having a bad day I ordered the correct forkseals and I am picking up the 06 R6R swingarm tomorrow and I am going back into the project! I am more moody than a women I swear!

tamucc2004

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a sweet build. Glad to see the R6 headers will work. Have some extras laying around and was curious to see if they would work.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a update I have not been messing with it had some bills come up and not enough work to cover them thinking about selling myself on the street corner to make up the difference! :cheer:

So I am most likely going to get the forks done I need to find a R6 fuel pump I have some R6 parts I might put up for sale to cover the cost!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to see this complete, this is my dream build setup for an FZ6. If I was knowledgeable and talented enough I would so do this.

Everyday it sucks knowing I ride a bike with an R6 motor that doesn't put out R6 numbers :(

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to see this complete, this is my dream build setup for an FZ6. If I was knowledgeable and talented enough I would so do this.

Everyday it sucks knowing I ride a bike with an R6 motor that doesn't put out R6 numbers :(

I for one wish it was detuned even more so it would have usable power under
6500 revs, I miss my 650 twin.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I started getting the harness swapped in I need some R6 gurus I got 2 plugs I am not sure where they go and I also need to see a pic of a R6 ignition setup and how the coils and harness is layed out!

There is a Triangle plug 3 wire white connector I am not sure what it is for!

There is also a black 3 wire plug I believe its for the tail light but it does not match the factory FZ6 plug!

The only other issues I had were the headlight turn signal switch plug was different but I happened to have a R6 unit so I will install it and be done!

The instrument cluster harness is also different so I might be swapping out the ugly factory cluster for a R6 unit I still have to pull it and see if the cluster plug is different!

I am going to have to lengthen some wires and change some stuff around to get the harness to swap over but it will be soldered together and wrapped up in a professional way that way no problems down the road!

I am so excited its getting there!

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it really ruin it that much?? I would think with almost 20+ hp extra on top, the whole curve would be higher from start to finish.

You can probably look up the curves for both stock FZ6 and stock R6 on
some sites, I'm too lazy to bother, but we get maximum torque at
10.000 revs, and power at 12.000 revs with a flat spot around 4500-6500,
the R6 makes about the same torqe at 11.000+ and power at 14.000 revs.

They're both in the 45ft/lb (60Nm) ballpark.

Both FZ6 and R6 are known to be the most gutless down low, my logic tells
me that the R6 should be worse under 10k and have more pop above 10k.

It's getting too old too fast for me, I gotta get the gearing back to stock
first, it only got worse with a +1 up front.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gotcha, I'll have to do some more research. Maybe somewhere there's an overlayed comparison between both bikes so we can see how much the detune "helped" us.

Crashz28

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotcha, I'll have to do some more research. Maybe somewhere there's an overlayed comparison between both bikes so we can see how much the detune "helped" us.

I have rode every 600cc supersport and sport standard like the FZ6 I have rode so many different bikes also seeing how I work at a MSF training school!

The FZ6/R6 are not that gutless the 07 ZX6R that I just finished for a customer is GUTLESS!

You are never going to get the torqueyness of a V Twin out of a inline 4 just never going to happen! And your never going to get the topend power of a inline 4 out of a V Twin!

Me myself I do not care about the low end I do not pull a trailer with my bike I am a tall skinny guy it has ZERO trouble moving me around hell I can take off in 4th or 5th gear without much drama! Am I worried about the powerband shifting 2k rpms on both torque and hp in the rev range? No not at all! I actually like the gutless motor down low its smooth and docile and can still out run most cars even shifting at 8k rpms you get up past 8k rpms and its a whole new beast! lol

My .02cents