07 led rear turn signals work (when turning), but only one running light

NCRider527

Reaction score
Visit site
So pretty much as the title states, I have an 07 fz6 with aftermarket round led rear turn signals. When turning, the LED lamps operate normally, blinking for whichever side I'm turning. However when just riding/idling, only the left side lights up, with the right side off. I did not install the turn signals though, so not sure where to start as far as going into the wiring etc.

Any ideas how to track down the cause and or cure this problem? Not the biggest issue but wanna get it figured out if possible.

Thanks in advance!

R

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are these three wire lights? Usually one wire is the turn indicator, one the ground and the other the running light. You can run the running light off any constant source, such as the license plate light.

NCRider527

Reaction score
Visit site
Are these three wire lights? Usually one wire is the turn indicator, one the ground and the other the running light. You can run the running light off any constant source, such as the license plate light.

Yes, they are three wire with black, yellow and red wires coming from the lamps. After getting under and studying it for a bit, the only difference wiring wise between the two sides seems to be where the red wire from the led lamps are connected to.

On the working side, the red wire from the lamp is connected to a single red wire coming from the left side of the bike.(assuming PO tied into some constant power there?)
Meanwhile, the non functional sides red wire is connected to a single BLACK wire coming from the same left side fusebox area of the bike.

This makes me think perhaps the non working side just never got its proper constant power hooked up, need to replace the battery in my multimeter and then hopefully can figure it out more. Assuming that black wire has 0v, and the working red wire side has 12v, hopefully I can just tap that same red wire over to the non working side and get everything straight. Only thing that kinda worries me is powering two turn signals off one small positive wire. Then again they are small leds so maybe it would be alright?

Just trying to avoid removing plastics if at all possible. I have a habit of breaking those little plastic clip thingys on each and every body panel Ive ever touched. Assume the same would happen if I start trying to pop off panels.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you already know, STOCK, the rear rt and left lamps are NOT running lights, just TWO wires(each side) for directionals.

Two LED running lights won't pull much at all and shouldn't be an issue.

IMO, if you want to keep the running lights, I'd pull his aftermarket wiring as it is questionable.
Then, as posted by Gary, simply tie into the license plate light.

Better yet, put in an LED running/flashing brake light assembly. Way brighter and with brakes applied, extremely visible.

Mine's attached just above the licence plate. (Ties in the same way as I suggested above):

NCRider527

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you already know, STOCK, the rear rt and left lamps are NOT running lights, just TWO wires(each side) for directionals.

Two LED running lights won't pull much at all and shouldn't be an issue.

IMO, if you want to keep the running lights, I'd pull his aftermarket wiring as it is questionable.
Then, as posted by Gary, simply tie into the license plate light.

Better yet, put in an LED running/flashing brake light assembly. Way brighter and with brakes applied, extremely visible.

Mine's attached just above the licence plate. (Ties in the same way as I suggested above):

I did not know that, thanks for the additional info. I see those two factory wires you talk about for the signals, it just looks like the po added in the extra wiring for running lights after the fact.

If I had to guess why, I'd wager its because there is no dedicated plate light that I can see. Just a fender delete with with some square tube and threaded brackets on the end for attaching the turn signals. Not homemade(that I can tell), but def no white led like you and so many others talk about. It actually bothered me to see when I got home and checked it out, but I just figured those amber turn signals had worked fine for illuminating the plate at night.

I do have some small led modules in red and white left over from an old emergency vehicle build, perhaps I could add one of the white ones for my plate light. They are small modules maybe 1/2''x2.5''? About the same size as the light in your pic.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There should be a licence plate light(and wiring) JUST for tag illumination.

In most states(if not all), a tag light is required by law and you can be pulled over and cited for it not working/gone. (Just like having a headlight out when it's dark/required)..

All the wires mentioned should be under the left side pod.
I'd be peeking under there first..

Now the FRONT directionals DO have running lights (besides directionals) stock...

*From what I've seen, there's few fender delete kits that include a tag light.

NCRider527

Reaction score
Visit site
There should be a licence plate light(and wiring) JUST for tag illumination.

In most states(if not all), a tag light is required by law and you can be pulled over and cited for it not working/gone. (Just like having a headlight out when it's dark/required)..

All the wires mentioned should be under the left side pod.
I'd be peeking under there first..

Now the FRONT directionals DO have running lights (besides directionals) stock...

*From what I've seen, there's few fender delete kits that include a tag light.

Got it, I will try to watch a few videos on getting under that side pod, then get out there tomorrow and try to check it out.

To fan the flames a bit more, now that you mention the front directional lights, they ONLY light up when turning. Looks like Ive got some wire gremlins to sort through this weekend.

NCRider527

Reaction score
Visit site
So popped the pod off tonight, and there was one of those quick splice connectors powering the rear led turn signals. Seemed to be pulling power from a clear connector wire on the bike. Started jostling the black "negative" wire going to the bad lamp from the splice and it lit up. Messing with that wire I was able to pull it through the quick splice a bit further, and both lights seem to work correctly now.(back ones at least. ) It also seemed like the wiring was being pressed on by the side pod plastic, so I tucked in the splice and extra wiring a bit better so it wouldn't have any pressure applied when the pod was reinstalled.

Ill try to take her for a ride tomorrow, hopefully my "fix" holds up to the jostles of the road. Long term, I should probably replace that quick splice, but not quite sure if I should just buy another quick splice, or solder the wires etc. I do have heat shrink and solder supplies, so that may be the long term fix.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I assume you found some of these..... https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchlok...1&keywords=3m+scotchlok&qid=1605536004&sr=8-5

There are a a few good ways to do wiring....

If you want to tap into existing wiring, I recommend Posi Tap connectors. They are easy to use and I have never had one fail. If you are replacing something that connects into your electrical system with a connector, get new connector and wire it to the new 'something'. Lots of places to get connectors, I get mine here.... http://cycleterminal.com/

All of my additions are done one of those two ways.

NCRider527

Reaction score
Visit site
Update- Went for a decent little ride today, everything still works. Still gonna pick up a few of those positaps just in case.

Random question if anyone sees this, are the small bolts under the seat on an s2 FZ6 torx or allen headed? I keep seeing videos where people say they are t25 torx, but in my case a 4mm allen fit much tighter than the torx, so I used that. They also LOOK like allen bolts to me, but I digress.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update- Went for a decent little ride today, everything still works. Still gonna pick up a few of those positaps just in case.

Random question if anyone sees this, are the small bolts under the seat on an s2 FZ6 torx or allen headed? I keep seeing videos where people say they are t25 torx, but in my case a 4mm allen fit much tighter than the torx, so I used that. They also LOOK like allen bolts to me, but I digress.

They were allen head from the factory.... If they are torx now, somebody swapped them

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't ride this morning, so here I am on the forum, and in a humorous mood.

@trepetti : All of my additions are done one of those two ways.

Tom's bike in holiday trim...
the-bike-insurer-decorate-your-bike-for-christmas-7.jpg

@Gary in NJ : ...lots of zip ties

Zip Ties Gone Wild.jpg

Gary's rear during a tire change, and maybe after.

Well, anyway, I thought it was funny. But for the record, I am in favor of both statements.

Chris

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't ride this morning, so here I am on the forum, and in a humorous mood.

@trepetti : All of my additions are done one of those two ways.

Tom's bike in holiday trim...
View attachment 73841

@Gary in NJ : ...lots of zip ties

View attachment 73842

Gary's rear during a tire change, and maybe after.

Well, anyway, I thought it was funny. But for the record, I am in favor of both statements.

Chris

LOL. I hate it when I forget to take all my meds. Get well soon :)

Hey Gary - I use the Gorilla Tape method. Wonder if the Zip Ties are easier.