12v Socket - Relay

Goodeye

Reaction score
Visit site
Not been on the site for a while but thought after my last mod I would throw up a few words as there seems to be lots of threads online regarding what I did but few definitive instructions and answers which I needed.

So this weekend I fitted a 12v socket to the FZ6. this is a pretty simple thing to do if you just wire it directly to the positive and negative terminals but I wanted to be a bit more fancy and have it go on and off with the ignition. A relay is the best way to do this and while I was at it I thought I would put in a fuse box so if I wanted to run any additional accessories at later date I could with minimal fuss which would also go on and off with the ignition.

Firstly I bought the bits I needed - most came from eBay, 12v socket, fuse holder, 4 pin fuse box. The other stuff I needed I got from my local garage - wire, blade fuses, and electrical connectors.

I’m no electrical guy, I have no experience working on cars, bikes or at home so I hope that the issues I had and solved will help others. The biggest thing that I had to solve was the 'switched power' for the relay. the relay is essentially 2 circuits, one makes an initial connection and the other then allows power from the battery flow to where you want it to go.

I decided to put my relay on the left of the bike in the tray under the seat, although this is miles away from the battery it was the best place as it was in an area that I could work in and nothing would get crushed or messed with.

This was also close to where the wires for the rear light were connected to the main loom. The wires here are yellow, brown and blue. (Recently I had an issue with my bike that this connector had got full of water and over time this water had turned to gunk which meant the connection was rubbish). I needed to cut out this block so made it the perfect place to splice into the loom for the 'switched power').

I ran the wire from the rear side of the loom using the blue wire. As this is the live I knew that when the ignition is on that power will go to this wire and I want to piggy back this to run to my relay. NOTE: the power from the tall light is not powering the 12v socket. The switched power is only used to join the connections in the relay to allow the battery to power what you have hooked into it.

I then ran a cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the relay and from the positive terminal of the battery to the relay with a 20amp fuse inline for protection.

Once these 3 elements are done I installed my fuse block. It’s a pretty simple 4 pin set up so bolted it in where it would not get crushed by the seat. I then ran power to the fuse block via the correct terminal on the relay (30) and daisy chained to the second pin so it’s already done when I want to use it in the future. I then connected the positive of the 12v socket to the other side of the fuse block that the power went into and connected the negative from the socket directly to the negative of the battery. (Seemed best as the battery was so close).

Note: the 12v socket came with a 5amp fuse inline but I cut this out and used a 5amp blade fuse in the fuse block

i hope this is helpful for anyone also looking to do this.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Very useful if you do any distances, GPS eats my phone battery. I triggered the relay (with heated grips on it too) off the left headlight, so it only works when the engine is running

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might get some shrink tubing and shrink tube those exposed spade connectors on your relay. Good Job! :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My main power panel is hot 100% of the time (on the right, inner side of the fairing). The side outlet, I wanted hot all the time for hooking up a charger, air compressor.

I only wanted one switched line which I simply tied into the Rt front running light (for the GPS-very light load).

I kept everything in the fairing and have access to all the fuses simply by peeking under the left inner faring.

Power block, (marine unit wired direct to battery):

BMW style power outlet:

Steble Horn mounted under inner fairing:

Zumo 590 GPS wiring harness(octopus-about 6' long), tucked up under the front fairing:

Goodeye

Reaction score
Visit site
With my fuse box set up i saw a cool idea for installing some running lights. the LED strips are super cheap off ebay so decided to get some and wire them in. pretty simple really as the relay is already set up so just involved me running another wire from the box to the front of the bike. I put a switch inline so i can turn the lights on and off and then used the self adhesive to stick them to the rad. i was concerned that the heat would melt the glue but saw on youtube someone else had done this and they were stillgood after a fair few miles.

So i wired in the swith and soldered the negative cables from the lights into the one i had from the socket. Its a 17amp cable back to the battery so was pretty sure it would be ok. im running a 3 amp fuse to the lights so they are drawing next to no power which is good. all thats left is my heated grips and i think i will be done.

i thought this looked pretty slick and will make me stand out a bt when using the bike on some of the dangerous rouadsnear me. the LEDs really put out some light too so looking forward to a decent ride with them.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks pretty slick...

Something I saw years ago, on a Goldwing was a "white strobe light", small, I think inside the headlight..VERY NOTICABLE...

I've looked for something similar, really small, maybe to mount under the fairing (has to be shallow as NOT to hit the fender).

All I could find were fairly big units (too big for motorcycle use). Legally, not sure if they would be allowed anyway..

Like a school bus with the strobe lights, you can't help but look at them...