1987 fz600 not getting any power

Iloveherlogic

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody. I got my bike not too long ago and its not in thebest shape. As of right now I would just like to get it running again. When I first received the bike it started got power and everything. After parking it inthegarage withthe key in the ignition it died -_-. I went to get the battery recharged at autozone stuck it back in and now the dash lights don't even turnon anymore. I checked the kill switch and eventriedmy friends battery but still no go. Could you guys let me know what I should check? Any help would be great thanks.

First thing to check is whether you are actually getting a good connection between the battery and the bike. It's a lot easier with a volt meter to figure this out. Just because the battery is charged, doesn't mean the system 'sees' that voltage.

Fuses, switch settings, etc. Corrosion on the metallic connectors is a biggie, on older bikes.

I wonder about this due to the dash lights not coming on; especially if they did before you left the ignition on and ran the battery flat.

Make sure you post a picture of this thing, I would like to see it just because im curious what it looks like. 1987 was the year I was born.

In addition...did auto zone charge a bad battery and send you home with it? Recheck the battery for proper voltage. I'm going to be in Irvine on Saturday so give me a PM!

Alrighty well I'm in the garage right now taking a look at the connector from the battery to the bike and it looks alright doesnt look corroded or anything just a bit dirty. I have the battery disconnected now and the four fuses are good the link thing in the middle isnt broken.
DSC_0917.jpg

I then opened the black thing that says mainfuse 30a spare 30a and the one inside there is broken and theres only 1. Would this possibly be the problem? I'll probably run to the store and grab one or two soon.

Also this battery is now a different one than the one that I drained with the key in. This one is my friends battery with the correct voltage he checked it before he gave it to me. I dont have a meter to read it myself again though.

As for pictures you can find them on my photobucket I have pictures I snapped yesterday night of some random spots. It doesn't look too pretty I know :x

Pictures by pdf-aznguy - Photobucket

Alright cool problem solved I replaced the main fuse and it started right up :D. On to my next problem lol What should I be checking before I start riding this thing? Also the throttle on the bike isnt very responsive. I pull the throttle back on the bike and it gets gas like a few seconds later.

Alright cool problem solved I replaced the main fuse and it started right up :D. On to my next problem lol What should I be checking before I start riding this thing? Also the throttle on the bike isnt very responsive. I pull the throttle back on the bike and it gets gas like a few seconds later.

What should you check? Everything. :D

Most important is whether it's going to stop when you tell it to.
Second is whether it will go where you point it.
Third is how well you can get it to go.

BEFORE THAT..... get your gear. If you don't think it's necessary, go ahead and run up the side walk as fast as you can and do a shallow dive onto the pavement.

You might hit 10 MPH doing that. Possibly 12.

If you part ways with the bike at 20 MPH, you will slide twice as far. 40 is four times farther than 10.

Gloves, long pants, jacket, helmet..... all of this stuff seems like a lot of money up front, but it costs a lot less than skin does. Better to use up a cow, if you know what I mean.....

anyway, back to the bike.

Air pressure in the tires. No leaks at the brake calipers. No leaks in the fork, or the rear suspension. All the lights should work. The horn should work. Valid registration?

The chain should pass smoothly over the sprockets. There needs to be engine oil inside the engine..... the correct amount and the right weight.

also try all bearings by grabbing each wheel and trying to rattle them same for the swing arm and forks. as for throttle response check the air filter is clean and complete these bikes run vacume carbs and do not respond well to aftermarket filters holes in the air box or simalar. mine is sometimes rough if cold with no choke, or if the petrol is running low. draining the carbs and cleaning them might be a good idea depending on how long its been standing. be sure to test the breaks well at slow speeds as the standard disks sometimes warp and its not something to find out at 50mph also check the disks for hair line fractures they are prone to them and appear on the outer edge of the cooling slots. be safe n have fun :BLAA:

Back