1st or Neutral????

What gear is your bike in at a stoplight?

• Neutral

Votes: 53 29.4%
  • 1st Gear

Votes: 127 70.6%

• Total voters

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering what everyone does at a stoplight. Do you put your bike in neutral or 1st gear? I see a lot of people put their bike in neutral and "relax" when they are stopped. I have personally been taught and always do keep my bike in 1st just in case some idiot doesnt decide to stop and I need to get out of the way in a hurry.

tho it depends on the stoplight (if i know its a short wait then i hold the clutch) i generaly put neutral to give my hands a rest.

and by the way.. regarding the people that might not stop behind me. a) when im at a stoplight, i watch the stoplight and perhaps the intersection in front of me, NOT my RV mirrors, b) i dont think you can avoid someone coming from behind if youre in a full stop.c) since im always filtering the only thing that can hit me in a stop is other bikes.

Last edited:

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I leave it in 1st until I have 2 - 3 cars already stopped behind me, that way if somebody does get rear-ended I have a buffer Zone.

Agree. Sometimes neutral is a welcome break for the wrist, back, butt and everything else that can hurt.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the time I keep it in 1st. But if it's a long light and traffic is stopped all around me I'll put it in neutral.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The majority of the time i am in 1st gear, but i have been in the mood to relax if i know it is a particularly long light.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im in 1st probably 90% of the time.. i occasionally shift to netrual if i have to adjust a glove or something.. otherwise, im usually in 1st waiting to continue to ride :_

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In first gear until I have somebody stopped behind me. If I think there is still a long wait at a light, switch to neutral to give my hand a break (looks to be majority here). Only thing I may be doing differently is (I didn't see anybody mentioned this), once I am in neutral, I also switch which foot I have on the ground and keep my foot where I can kick into gear if I need to in a hurry. I do keep my hand on the break the whole time.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I am the same as Jerdman89 and Targa 222.
Try to keep it on 1st unless i have to get the feeling back to my hands or if my rist is tired.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
First.

For the folks concerned about the clutch giving way at a stoplight, I think that if you dump the clutch at idle with the brakes on, I would anticipate that the bike would stall rather than surge into the intersection.

Arlis

Reaction score
Visit site
Neutral most of the time. I was told as a youngster holding the clutch would wear it out. I know this is probably not accurate, but it stuck.

Gorgamel

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to keep it in 1st gear. But if i know it´s a longer stop (like a train is passing or so..) i put it in neutral.

I don´t think that being overrun by a car from behind is my biggest fear when im riding my bike.

Pickax

Fasta Bloo... and Black
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep it in first because I usually don't put my right foot down. I can't flat foot both sides at the same time so I just keep the right on the rear brake. It makes coming to a stop a little smoother when I gently let off the front and use the rear for the very last bit of the stop.

I watch my mirrors but I'm not sure I would roll out into an intersection if I got nervous about someone hitting me from behind unless I was totally sure they were going to. I guess I could just bail from the bike if there wasn't a second turn lane beside me. But that puts up a new set of risks based on what's around. It seems like it would be hard to judge it in time to make a decision and have time to act. Someone bearing down on you and not seeing you is a pretty no-win situation.

Grape

Reaction score
Visit site
I always put it in neutral (if the stop will be longer than 5s). I believe holding the clutch will wear and tear on the clutch components (release bearing) in the long run. This applies to cars at least, I am not sure if the clutch works in the same way in the bike. But I think its better to be on the safe side.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
At traffic lights, I'm in 1st gear 95% of the time. On occasion, I'll click into neutral to adjust something, or just shake my arms out.

I try to get back into 1st gear as quickly as possible in case a cager decides my bike would make an excellent hood decoration.