1st track day on R6

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's just say it's slightly better suited for track riding than FZ1. Right tool for the job, etc. etc.

Of course proper sport tires have a lot to do with it (Dunlop Q3). It's almost shocking how much the bike can be leaned over and how far you can shift your upper body into the turn and the thing just sticks and holds its line.

All in all, had a blast.. as I knew I would.

Few pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lesson learned today: just because it's comfortable (and the right place) to have the pegs right under balls of your feet on the street, does not mean it works on track:

attachment.php

Of course another lesson is to have race boots with sliders, BUT.. after scraping my boots hard twice, I learned to keep my feet farther back.

And here are few consequences of pushing the limits (not mine.. at least not yet):

attachment.php

attachment.php

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
That's just discourage me to bring the FZ to the track this year Erci, I only run sport touring tires (Continental conti-motion) :(
Who crashed btw?

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let's just say it's slightly better suited for track riding than FZ1. Right tool for the job, etc. etc.

Of course proper sport tires have a lot to do with it (Dunlop Q3). It's almost shocking how much the bike can be leaned over and how far you can shift your upper body into the turn and the thing just sticks and holds its line.

All in all, had a blast.. as I knew I would.

52928d1398731687-1st-track-day-r6-r61-jpg

I have been wondering when you were going post up about your FZ's little brother. :eek: You had mentioned that the bike was in pretty good shape, but I thought I remember you changing fork oil, what else was needed? It sure does look good. :rockon:
Did you have a forward facing camera also?

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
Congrats on this milestone Eric! I didn't realize you're into your track day schedule already... I need to review it (schedule) from your old post and plan at least one to coincide (life/family has kept me off the forum & riding this season). Which group were you in?

Do you think the bike or the tires made more of a difference? Or hard to tell which? Bike looks great btw!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's just discourage me to bring the FZ to the track this year Erci, I only run sport touring tires (Continental conti-motion) :(
Who crashed btw?

No way, man!! Don't be discouraged! Sure you won't be able to push it as hard, but it can still be tremendously fun. I've done 2 track days on sport touring tires.. 1 in rain. Had a blast both times :thumbup:

Who crashed? More like who didn't crash? Unfortunately crashes are very common.. most often in novice group (that's the group right after intro). Most of the time, it's riders going way beyond their skill level.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been wondering when you were going post up about your FZ's little brother. :eek: You had mentioned that the bike was in pretty good shape, but I thought I remember you changing fork oil, what else was needed? It sure does look good. :rockon:

Yeah, I changed fork oil, but mainly because the bike is 05 and I knew it's never been done.. there was nothing wrong with it.

The one *repair* I had to make was to replace radiator.. it was leaking. Picked one up on eBay for $60.

Replaced tires, installed frame sliders, disconnected all the lights, carbon-wrapped lenses, replaced black screen with a cheap clear one (painted the bottom of the screen), removed passenger pegs/brackets, replaced rear seat with a cover.

I think that about sums it up.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on this milestone Eric! I didn't realize you're into your track day schedule already... I need to review it (schedule) from your old post and plan at least one to coincide (life/family has kept me off the forum & riding this season). Which group were you in?

Do you think the bike or the tires made more of a difference? Or hard to tell which? Bike looks great btw!

I was in group 2 (novice). Glad I didn't go back to Intro.. heck, I actually passed a few people today!

Bike made more difference than tires. Tires gave me loads of confidence, but it's the lightness, the flickability and the ergonomics that really changed the experience drastically.

I highly recommend Cali Superbike School (you'll learn more than from a track day and in a safer environment). I'm doing it on Aug 5th. Very pricey, but worth it.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Forgot to mention.. yeah, I did! It does show my exceptionally sloppy lines (I'm *miles* from apexes in many corners), but I'm learning.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I snuck out of work early and met up with Eric for a visit as the track is only an hour from there. He was looking good and was hard to tell from the faster guys in the group! Of course, being at the track got me inspired to get signed up asap:thumbup:

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
No way, man!! Don't be discouraged! Sure you won't be able to push it as hard, but it can still be tremendously fun. I've done 2 track days on sport touring tires.. 1 in rain. Had a blast both times :thumbup:

Who crashed? More like who didn't crash? Unfortunately crashes are very common.. most often in novice group (that's the group right after intro). Most of the time, it's riders going way beyond their skill level.

I was on a parade labs last year, it was fun. I know I have a lot to learn. Do u think that I could lean as much as the race tires.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey it looks like we did the same absolute day. I was there on Sunday in N as well. Must have been on track at the same time lol. There was a kid there on an fz6 doing his first track day who just started riding and only had 800 miles under his belt:eek:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey it looks like we did the same absolute day. I was there on Sunday in N as well. Must have been on track at the same time lol. There was a kid there on an fz6 doing his first track day who just started riding and only had 800 miles under his belt:eek:

Nice!! I wasn't there on Sunday though.. just Monday (yesterday). SO much quieter than on weekends!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:O

This thread is brought to you by the letter 'A'.

'A' for awesome.

So sweet congrats man that looks so amazing.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a parade labs last year, it was fun. I know I have a lot to learn. Do u think that I could lean as much as the race tires.

Your first time out will be in intro group. If your tires are the limiting factor that day, you will be one of the few. Speeds are relatively low. No huge demand for traction. Your tires need to be fresh and have plenty of tread left, but they don't need to be full-on sport.
The #1 thing you will learn: it's addictive and you'll want to go again and again :rof:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your first time out will be in intro group. If your tires are the limiting factor that day, you will be one of the few. Speeds are relatively low. No huge demand for traction. Your tires need to be fresh and have plenty of tread left, but they don't need to be full-on sport.
The #1 thing you will learn: it's addictive and you'll want to go again and again :rof:
This what's keeping from getting out there... :rolleyes:

How new does "fresh" count as? Is there a quantity of years old cutoff?

My tires look amazing and have excellent tread but they'd see the date and look like this guy ---> :eek:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This what's keeping from getting out there... :rolleyes:

How new does "fresh" count as? Is there a quantity of years old cutoff?

My tires look amazing and have excellent tread but they'd see the date and look like this guy ---> :eek:

Date is not a definitive indicator of tire age. It's how long they've been on the bike. They really start to age after they've been heat cycled (meaning they can be properly stored for years and still be considered brand new).

So.. if they've been used for more than 2 years, I'd say they're too old for the track.

Having said that, you'll be amazed at the craptacular equipment people run on track... and it's good enough to pass the tech.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to be a weekday guy, new job puts me back to weekend off. Sunday was pretty freaking busy.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to be a weekday guy, new job puts me back to weekend off. Sunday was pretty freaking busy.

According to Roy, there were 60 more riders there on Sunday :eek:
I'll try to stick to weekdays as much as I can (not that I'll be doing that many days.. much as I would like to)