2000 miles in less than 36 hours....

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
This is pretty awesome Mate. 2K in 36hrs is quite something. I did an IBA Bun Burner 1500 last year on my FZ6R. It was very demanding pounding so many miles on the 6R. 150 miles a tank goes fast! I drove back from Laconia bike week to West Palm Beach, FL. 1551 miles in 23:36 hrs. I was aiming for a SS1000 at first. Got it done around 11:00 pm and while I was still riding I had that stupid moment in my head... I had enough time to do another 500 miles and be home before 7:00am! Total it was a 4K+ miles round trip.

Looking forward to do another ride this year. Might not be IBA level ride but i should go for a 3-4 days of riding somewhere.

Big congratulation on your accomplishment!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I notice you mentioned you were on a Suzuki V in the article (can't remember now if it was the Strom or the SV), but you had pics of your Fz6. Got any recommendations on windscreens and saddles? I've been looking to make my bike more rideable for interstate style driving.

Come to think of it, any suggestions on improving riding comfort in general? Maybe there's something about sitting a certain way, who knows.

if you want to go all out for touring:

FZ6R Bars
Touring screen and MRA Vario Lip
Corbin/TopSaddlery/Meyer/Spencer Seat Mod
Whatever Bags you wish
and that cool auto chain oiler thing

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Haha no. Just ride what you are comfortable riding. I have been riding bikes since I was 5 and began racing hare scrambles when I was 8 or 9. My races went from 30 minutes long, to 45 minutes long in the minis. Then I jumped up to the larger class of bikes and my races went to 1.5 hours to 2 hours. When I went out for a ride on my dirt bike (non race) I would stay out all day. 100 mile days. I have always enjoyed motorcycling the point at which I do not want to get off of it. I meant no disrespect to anyone with that comparison that I put on myself.

Wow!!!!!!

I can say that compared to your experience I now feel I have taken my bike only in the driveway!!!!!! Ahahahahaha

Obviously, I'm not even close to the experience level you have.
The FZ6 has been my only bike since I purchased it just a couple of years ago.
I'm enjoying every single second of it.

Of course, I still have a lot of road ahead of me and indeed it is still remarkable to see how many things more experienced riders have achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fair play to you, your bum must be like a bit of old leather, back in the day I rode as a MC courier and would often do 800 - 900 miles in 12 hours, very sore bum and on a naked bike. The worse thing was the neck pain from wind buffering.
Thanks for the post.

Nelly

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
How do you guys do this without getting speeding tickets. I do about 100-150 miles every weekend and always see at least one speed trap.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you guys do this without getting speeding tickets. I do about 100-150 miles every weekend and always see at least one speed trap.

Rgular +5 or +10 MPH out of big city, no more than that. It's all about average speed. Stop, Gas and go... and try to avoid traffic as much as you can.

SS1000 is 1000 mile sin 24 hrs. It's a long day but you have plenty of time to get it done. Pushing it you can event start after dinner and stop for a short night of sleep and hope not to get any traffic.

1500 miles in 24 hrs is a different story. Not a lot of margin. I cough some traffic in DC, lost about 1 hr. I didn't stop for food, only eat whatever I packed in my tank bag. Fill it up with snack bars and a 3L camel pack with Gatorade. I refill the drink during the ride. Other that that I stop only for gas and hit the bathroom if needed. I stop once between Baltimore and DC. It was in the 40's when I left Laconia and it was getting seriously warm with all the gear and the rain suite over. Once pass DC traffic it was a one shot deal to West Palm Beach... Gotta love Sundays!

Since no ride is perfect without a not so funny moment that end up to be funny after the fact. I drove through NY on I-95. Not crazy about it but I figured out should not be too bad on a Sunday morning. By the time I get to NY I need gas bad!!! And taking a monster piss too. So I end up in the middle of the Bronx on a little gas station about the size of a bus stop. Fill the bike up and no pisser!!! Now keep in mind that I'm having cramp since I've been holding it for about a solid 1hr. I get on the bike and take off... without pipi. By the time I get to the end of the parking lot I'm almost in tears... I gotta go now! So I just decide to let it rip... f%^$ it! Can't be that much in there anyway... I was wrong! I could feel it dripping down my legs... I was like "Not my boots!!! So I put my foot on the pegs not to fill my boot with piss. By the time I'm all relief and good to go I look at my pant... WTF!!! I had a rain suite on... no liquid in, no liquid out!!! :(

I gave one of those Chuck Norris sidekick to let the waive of piss leaked out, put it in first gear and never looked back. Never been so happy to have a helmet with a dark visor on...

I laugh about it now but it was so discussing...

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
That's exactly what it was. It was the last NJ/NY Bear mountain ride. For me , it's just about 100 miles to Erci's house...non highway, of course, and that is just the start of my day. It was also the first long ride of the season for me so that didn't help. I just wasn't conditioned yet. Of course, weather plays a huge part of it too. Too hot or too cold can make a big difference in your day.

This is very true. Weather plays a big roll. I would almost prefer the cold days over a hot one. For me its easier to stay warm that to fight staying cool.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
This is pretty awesome Mate. 2K in 36hrs is quite something. I did an IBA Bun Burner 1500 last year on my FZ6R. It was very demanding pounding so many miles on the 6R. 150 miles a tank goes fast! I drove back from Laconia bike week to West Palm Beach, FL. 1551 miles in 23:36 hrs. I was aiming for a SS1000 at first. Got it done around 11:00 pm and while I was still riding I had that stupid moment in my head... I had enough time to do another 500 miles and be home before 7:00am! Total it was a 4K+ miles round trip.

Looking forward to do another ride this year. Might not be IBA level ride but i should go for a 3-4 days of riding somewhere.

Big congratulation on your accomplishment!

Very nice! Congrats on your rides. Looks like you had enough for a Bun Burner Gold. 1500 miles in 24 hours.

Where are you located?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Rgular +5 or +10 MPH out of big city, no more than that. It's all about average speed. Stop, Gas and go... and try to avoid traffic as much as you can.

SS1000 is 1000 mile sin 24 hrs. It's a long day but you have plenty of time to get it done. Pushing it you can event start after dinner and stop for a short night of sleep and hope not to get any traffic.

1500 miles in 24 hrs is a different story. Not a lot of margin. I cough some traffic in DC, lost about 1 hr. I didn't stop for food, only eat whatever I packed in my tank bag. Fill it up with snack bars and a 3L camel pack with Gatorade. I refill the drink during the ride. Other that that I stop only for gas and hit the bathroom if needed. I stop once between Baltimore and DC. It was in the 40's when I left Laconia and it was getting seriously warm with all the gear and the rain suite over. Once pass DC traffic it was a one shot deal to West Palm Beach... Gotta love Sundays!

Since no ride is perfect without a not so funny moment that end up to be funny after the fact. I drove through NY on I-95. Not crazy about it but I figured out should not be too bad on a Sunday morning. By the time I get to NY I need gas bad!!! And taking a monster piss too. So I end up in the middle of the Bronx on a little gas station about the size of a bus stop. Fill the bike up and no pisser!!! Now keep in mind that I'm having cramp since I've been holding it for about a solid 1hr. I get on the bike and take off... without pipi. By the time I get to the end of the parking lot I'm almost in tears... I gotta go now! So I just decide to let it rip... f%^$ it! Can't be that much in there anyway... I was wrong! I could feel it dripping down my legs... I was like "Not my boots!!! So I put my foot on the pegs not to fill my boot with piss. By the time I'm all relief and good to go I look at my pant... WTF!!! I had a rain suite on... no liquid in, no liquid out!!! :(

I gave one of those Chuck Norris sidekick to let the waive of piss leaked out, put it in first gear and never looked back. Never been so happy to have a helmet with a dark visor on...

I laugh about it now but it was so discussing...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that made my afternoon! But your right, no ride is perfect and things like that happen.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site

Keep in mind that your bike speedo is off by roughly 10% if not more. I never use my bike speedo anymore, rather I use the speedo on my GPS. For example, my Vstrom Speedo reads like 85 or so when Im doing 73-74 on the GPS.

"9 your fine, 10 your mine." Some riders invest alot of money in radar detectors and jammers. I have a little cheap radar that helps when they are running K band or something but I have still be popped and ticketed. Last year I got 80 in a 55 while riding through atlanta. I was in a group of 3 bikes and running in the middle. Officer told me "that the guy in front was running 79, and the guy behind me was going 78. Why were you going so fast." Apparently 79 is ok, but 80 is the cut off point. That useful bit of advise cost me $1000.00. :rolleyes:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, that does make the rides a bit easier. 65 is about the average here. However at one point going through PA I did get into a work zone on a highway where the speed limit was 30. Nah man... that ain't me. No one else was even close to it.