2004 fz6n over charging?

stevenata

Reaction score
Visit site
So my problem is that since I bought this bike second hand I have had to replace the headlight globe twice as the high and/or low beam burn out almost instantly and now recently the high beam light icon on the dash has stopped illuminating.

Also it's had a check engine light on for some time now but I've thought nothing of it since temp and performance is all fine. And it'll flash on and off during riding.

now in the last couple of days i could smell almost like something was melting and now the battery has died and won't crank the bike over. The smell is definitely coming from the battery and I can feel how hot it is as well as the battery has expanded. (Gone round)

Any diagnosis'?
Thanks in advance

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

Sounds like you have a bad regulator rectifier. I've seen the exact scenario you've explained before on a GSXR. The regulator/rectifier does 2 jobs. It rectifies + or - energy from the stator to provide charge for the battery and it shunts any additional current, turning it into heat that is dissipated by the heat sink.

If the bike was jump started from a running car or charged form the wrong type of charger the shunt regulator may have been damaged, leaving the shunt open and the battery to to be overcharged and damaged.

We have lots of great documentation and guidance for testing your components on the forum.

Again welcome to the forum! :)

Last edited:

stevenata

Reaction score
Visit site
Well that makes sense thanks. Seeing as this happened during a ride I just roll started it and pressed on. It isn't running very well though as the battery is dead flat now is it going to do any damage apart from the battery and what it heats around it. Thanks again

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well that makes sense thanks. Seeing as this happened during a ride I just roll started it and pressed on. It isn't running very well though as the battery is dead flat now is it going to do any damage apart from the battery and what it heats around it. Thanks again

Absolutely do not run the bike with a blown regulator. You can wipe out the ECM
or other expensive solid state modules instantly.

stevenata

Reaction score
Visit site
So what will have happened to make it miss and snap on and off on the power? I rode it for 10 ks to get it home. I know the battery is rooted what else should I check/replace as well as the regulator?

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
welcome to forum. I think problem is regulator/rectefier. IF r/r dies, voltage goes up. Don't ride the bike. That battery can explode and also that high voltage can fry the ecu or dashboard.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it boiled the battery into ball thats likely above 15V and everything electrical on the bike is being compromised.

As stated, no good will come of it so parking it is best.

Also, as stated its very likely the result of jumping from a running auto. They see the little bike as an added load try to compensate with more current and voltage when a car has plenty in an off state!

Start with RR and a new battery and see how it goes!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's how to test your regulator. If it passes the rectifier test the shunt regulator can still be bad so over voltage is a good indicator of a blown shunt.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EjV0IjW9Q[/ame]

FinalImpact did an awesome service to us by providing a great culmination of information, procedure and data to help us trouble shoot the charging system.
Here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/showpost.php?p=579412

He has also done this for other servicing on the bike so use this link: Here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...uel-pump-battery-charging-brake-bleeding.html

stevenata

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys. thanks again for all the helpful tips and links. i just went ahead and bought the ne regulator and tested on battery terminals and getting a readout of 13.95V at choke, idle and 5000rpm.

should i be concerned about anything else at this point as its running and starting fine.

thanks

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys. thanks again for all the helpful tips and links. i just went ahead and bought the ne regulator and tested on battery terminals and getting a readout of 13.95V at choke, idle and 5000rpm.

should i be concerned about anything else at this point as its running and starting fine.

thanks

Sounds like you have it fixed.

If you didn't replace the battery, I would have it load tested just to make sure you didn't damage it earlier.