2006 FZ 600 On-Board Tank Bag Power

FZDave

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Vegasrider asked me to explain my on-board power solution. It really is a simple mod that all started with a direct to battery, Battery Tender lead. I needed to power my 65 watt First Gear heated jacket liner and glove liners. My other major power need was to be able to run my mini tire repair air compressor. This unit requires a 15 amp fuse. I called my local Yamaha shop to find out how big a fuse I could safely run and he said 20 amps is about all he would go… So that is what I did. The original fuse that came with the Battery Tender lead was a ten amp.

picture.php

Since the FZ stator is not known for producing Hoover Dam levels of electricity I decided the stock halogen peepers had to go. I replaced them with HID’s. I had made this lazer beam mod on a previous ride and it was already in the budget for my FZ. They saved me 50 watts on high beam and are incredibly bright; once you have ridden with them you will never go back. In the mountains where I like to ride the most, seeing critters before you introduce them to your front wheel is pretty important.

picture.php

My other power needs were much more civilized. I needed to keep my GoPro and Sony cameras charged, my lap top, cell phone(s)… I say “cell phones” in the plural sense because I’m always charging someone else’s too. I can also run GPS, laser and radar detectors. I tried to color code the type of items and their connectors… I’m pretty sure you get it.

picture.php

The other big bonus is this magnetic tank bag has only one buckle to release, unplug the power and all my expensive toys come with me into the store or sit next to me at the dinner table. It all hooks back up just as easily! I used a razor knife to cut very small holes for essential wire egress and ingress when being carried around off the bike.

I had a KOSO volt meter attached for awhile just to keep an eye on things and with everything powered up and on high my bike was only barely in the negative (battery drain) numbers at idle. If was doing more in town riding I might have left it hooked up. I had used “add-a-tap” type connectors; that is why you see black electrical tape at the back of the Bike Master power hub.

picture.php

The Crown Royal bag holds all the extra wire that comes with the heat controller. I didn’t want to cut it for a custom install because I may want to use it with another bike in the future and it keeps the wire from catching and/or hiding other more used members of my tank bag community. It also makes for easy install or removal if I need more tank bag room or it’s too friggin hot for heated gear! (Like now!)

I hope you found this a worthy read.

FZDave

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up Dave, very impressive. My days on the FZ6 as my primary bike is running out, otherwise I would look into it.